Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing vine plants for living wall?

Posted by emberemme 5B (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 22:52

Hello! I have a now empty wall in my room which I have evenly spaced holes in from a past project. I've been researching for the past few days and I'd like to use the holes already in my wall to construct an invisible trellis and grow a climbing vine over it. So far, I've come up with Boston ivy and a black-eyed Susan vine as the best potential options.

I live in zone 5B and the wall which I want to put the trellis on faces the sunrise. My room's blinds are the sort that let in light even when they're closed, and I turn on my room's light once I come home.

Any suggestions as to other types of climbing plants which would work, or warnings with regards to the plants I've found so far? All advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing vine plants for living wall?

I have had success with Pothos, Philodendron, Arrowhead and Spider plants in Zone 6 both with window lights and rooms with skylights and window lights. English Ivy also hangs on during the winter low light months.

o
RE: Climbing vine plants for living wall?

I don't have a clear picture of your intentions, but if you are actually going to allow the plants to cover interior walls, you will have problems with...
mold and mildew to say nothing about the actual integrity of the wall. Any wall covered with vines will become moist and this will cause problems. Popular tropical vines that climb include Golden Pathos, philodendrons of numerous species, creeping fig (Ficus), and Monstera. If the environment is humid enough, the vines will even climb the walls and attach themselves to it with their tendrils. I once had a Philodendron start doing this on its own w.o. any encouragement from me. But to actually encourage them to do this is asking for trouble if you ask me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here