Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bondo01

Information on this plant

bondo01
10 years ago

On another forum I was told the plant in the picture is a phenomenal,
and was suggested that I come to this forum to find further information. Can anyone give me any info on this plant?

Comments (10)

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

It looks like a Dracaena, maybe D deremensis. Is it your plant or growing somewhere else?

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

Dracaena Janet Craig. That is a nice one, I think it's branched, ie. lots of heads off one main trunk, so even nicer.

Don't need much light or water but keep warm.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Worthy of upright-ness! If I saw this in person, I'd have to touch it to see if it's real.

Dracs in general are sensitive to tap water chemicals, and sitting in saucers of water. This guy looks a little big to cart to the shower for a drink. If you're using rain water or distilled, a buildup of chemicals shouldn't be an issue, but standing water could be. You could get a turkey baster to remove water from the drip saucer. That would be a lot more healthy for the plant than using a pot without a hole in the bottom. A large plant like that probably has one or the other.

• bondo01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I added a new pic of the Janet Craig that I started this post about
    I topped it as the top was losing a lot of leaves, since it was just the top I figured it wasn't getting enough water and over watered it

• bondo01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I reported the plant, put larger lava rock under the crushed lava that it is planted in and filled in empty space around root ball with miracle gro potting soil. I have cut off numerous dead or almost dead leaves. Is the dieing off probably too over water and shock from transplant?
    I use only bottled spring water to water and only getting small amount every 10 days or so now.
    Alot of the leaves have brown ends which make me want to water it.
    Any suggestions?

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purp, thanks for up-righting the photo. Don't know how you do it..

Bondo..Do you spray foliage with Leaf Shine?

Although, your D. Janet Craig looks very healthy, upper leaves should not drop.
    Bottom leaf drop is common, since when mature, they're tall trees with trunk. In-ground.

Check for mites and mealybug. These critters hide in the vase of foliage. You may need to spread top leaves a little for a better look-see.

Inspect for white, cottony clusters or webs.

If the problem was due to under-watering, leaves would be crispy brown.
    If over-watered, leaves first yellow.
    Your tree is too green for either issues. Toni

• bondo01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The once beautiful plant is not doing well at all. Leaves from all over plant are dieing. Please see picture. Need some advice before I lose all of it.

• bondo01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The once beautiful plant is not doing well at all. Leaves from all over plant are dieing. Please see picture. Need some advice before I lose all of it. Here is a photo of some leaves. some of the brown is not hard and crisp, and they seem to start turning brown in middle of leaf mostly.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Oh man, this is a bummer, so sorry. I would use distilled (or rain, melted snow, dehumidifier or A/C condensate.) Spring water (any ground water) will have some minerals in it that your plant may not appreciate.

Can excess water escape from the pot?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Hmmm, just found this thread. Wondering if there is an update to the status of that plant.
    I have a Dracaena-Janet Craig as well. It looks a bit different but that is what was on the label when I bought it and it looks similar to other photos I have seen on the net. I bought it on clearance at a Home Depot. It was about 4" tall and half out of the small pot and looking really bad but I repotted it and nursed it back to health from tow years ago. This last winter it has really taken off and is now about 21" tall and very lush. I have several questions:
    Does anyone know if this variety will eventually bloom?
    I just repotted it into a slightly larger container but it was very root bound from the last one so I am wondering if I shouldn't have gone even bigger. It is about a 1 gallon container. I didn't put any pebbles or lava rock on the bottom. Is that advisable? I always let all the water drain out after watering so it isn't setting in a pool of water.
    The pot I have it in now is fairly wide compared to deep. Is it better to have a deeper pot as it looked to have a tap root that was curled up in the rootball from the last pot.
    How big of a pot should this plant be in to allow for good growth over the next year or two?

Here is a picture from just after I rescued it and trimmed several leaves that were black and then a photo of it from a few days ago.
    Thanks
    Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 17:49