Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilbit7777

To water or not to water JUST transplanted succulent?

LilBit7765
9 years ago

I just got (what said baby jade plant on the tag) I got it on Sunday and FINALLY repotted in Al's Gritty Mix tonight. I saw that a few of the stems? Had rotted. So I thought it best to get it out of the potting mix that it came in right away so as I could check for root rot and get it out of the wet soil it came in. Anyway I was told when I transplanted succulents I shouldn't water right away but being that it's in the gritty mix, should I water? Or wait? And how long do I wait to give it plant food in this mix? Sorry to sound ignorant but this is the first succulent I've transplanted in this mix and I don't want to kill it. Thank you

Also, is this really called a "baby jade plant" it doesn't look like my other jade plants?

Comments (11)

• czygyny
    9 years ago

I believe that variety is called the 'Hobbit'. And, yes it is wise to wait a day or two before watering a newly transplanted cactus or succulent. NO fertilizer until the plant is in active growth. :-)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Not to shabby kind of nice for a rooted starter, as your mix looks wet enough for a week or two before it MIGHT need more water. Timing frequency of watering at any volume of watering will vary to it's locaction and other growing conditions.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Joe how often do you water your succulents in the gritty mix? Are any of them inside by a VERY bright window? And if so how often do you water yours? Your advice would be appreciated! :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

This is a Crassula, 'Hobbit' or 'ET fingers.'

Unless your plant happens to use moisture at a regular rate, a schedule probably won't work. With a tiny plant like that, it's easy to pick up to see if it's lighter yet. When it feels lighter, you can know the moisture is gone. Variances in day length, temperature, humidity, can affect the rate at which plants use moisture (and the rate at which it just evaporates from the pot.) That said, the risk of rotting roots is very low in a nice mix like that, so unless you're a really committed over-waterer, things should go well, especially if you take plant to a sink to water, and let it finish dripping before putting back on saucer. You don't have to be 'perfect' about letting it dry to exactly the right degree, like one would need to do in a peaty potting soil to not rot the roots of this plant.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the advice and the ID! :)
    I appreciate it!!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Darling plant! I'm with Joe on watering this plant....any plant....immediately after transplanting. That's a critical time for the roots to receive good contact with the particles and a sturdy seating in the container. Giving the plant a good watering is the only way to get the job done.

In that mix, don't be ultra conservative about watering and end up under watering. I've seen that a few times! Just allow the medium to dry out somewhat and then water again very thoroughly....no little sips ever. That's especially important with a very porous potting medium.

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

Lilbit, as noted above, watering varies based on many factors, so I wouldn't call it a schedule. I treat my "jade brigade" like they are my pets, so I literally check them over every day after work, watering if necessary. Right now, because most were repotted recently, they only need water every week or so, but that time will become shorter as roots fill the mix. To water thoroughly, I plug the drain hole with a finger, fill the pot with water, wait a minute, then drain it out. Also, the first couple of weeks after a repot, I use straight water with no fertilizer, as roots take up water better when it has less solubles in it.

As for the sunny window question, mine all sit in a south window whenever they aren't outside. I try and keep them all outside as much as I can, even if it means moving them in and out when nights are too cold. Life in a south window won't even produce the nice leaf colors that outdoor direct sun does, which tells me that even a south window isn't enough sun to really make jades thrive.

Joe

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Joe, you know my routine to the tea...

I also have many of them from all over the world and they are left in a sunny spots...The colors are amazing as you say..

I too am not afriad to hold back on watering in the grittier mix.If I do they dehydrate quickly....
    When in peat based mixes, you definitely have to be careful, especially when the temps cool off or with little sunlight.

Mike

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Avoiding the tendency to gravitate toward watering your plants on a schedule grows increasingly important as your soil's water retention increases. More specifically, it becomes more critical as the amount of perched water the soil holds increases. On the opposite end, if your soil holds no or almost no perched water, watering on a schedule is fine for a high % of plants, as long as that schedule is such that you're not watering too infrequently.

I've been watering on a common sense sort of schedule for a lot of years with no problems. In the winter, I have about a dozen plants in very small pots that get watered every 2 days, the rest, including succulents, get watered every 4 days.

I'm not promoting watering on a schedule, just making the point that you CAN, when you remove the cause of concern when you water on a schedule - perched water.

You DO need to keep a mental picture in mind when you water soon after repotting. It's important that the soil is moist where the roots are. Often, I'll repot a plant with an intentionally flat root system.
    {{gwi:10873}}
    Since ALL the roots are in the upper inch or two of soil, the first fraction of the soil to dry out, it's very important that I water as often as needed until the plant's roots colonize the deeper part of the soil, so I might water daily for a week or two - until the plant gets its feet under it. It's really hard to beat the gritty mix for houseplants, and succulents in particular seem to really like it.

Al

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you EVERYONE! And thank you Al for explaining about the roots when they are repotted in the gritty mix, I have a better understanding on how to care for them in this mix. And I REALLY, TRULY, appreciate all the advice!! I am SO HAPPY I joined GW you are all so friendly and helpful!! :)