Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peace Lily leaves are shrinking

Posted by jodi44 Michigan (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 0:37

I've had my peace lily for about 5 or 6 years. I got it from my grandfather's funeral, but I am ashamed to say that for most of those years it stayed in the same pot it came in. Other than occasional brown tips it did look healthy, but it also looked like it was getting really crowded. Finally this spring I bought a new larger pot and repotted the plant.
At first, I was thrilled because the plant grew so much larger almost immediately. But now it's starting to look a little scrawny - many leaves, but each leaf is so much smaller than they used to be.
The plant has been sitting in the same place, on a chair next to (not in front of) an East facing window for the past 3 years... so it's location hasn't changed. I water it when it starts to get a little droopy. The only change has been in the size of the pot. Could the pot size be causing the leaves to shrink, or could there be another cause? Any suggestions? Thanks!

(Also, in all these years I've only gotten the white flowers 2 or 3 times. Do I need to do something special to make it flower, or am I doing something wrong that is preventing it from flowering?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peace Lily leaves are shrinking

Jodi, how much larger is the second pot compared to the first?

When you say leaves are shrinking, do you mean, new leaves are smaller than older leaves or leaves that were 'X' size have shrunk, in the literal sense? Please explain.

Has your PL ever been fertilized? When you repotted did you use fresh or the same soil?

Since you've had this plant several years, has this ever happened before?
Now that fall/winter is approaching, days shortening, certain plants slow down or stop growth completely, although it's still too soon to go into dormancy.

You said your PL is beside the window, why not place directly in front? Especially since the view faces east.
Is the plant obstructed by curtains/blinds?

Sorry for all the questions, but they need answering to narrow down the reason/s your PL is having problems. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here