Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sansevieria as Houseplants?

Posted by norma_2006 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 1:12

I don't mean the common varieties, I like the spoon shapes, or the very large one, ones that make a statement or those that have different leaves than the normal. They make great house plants, so is there any here that grows this Genus? I don't have trouble growing them in the house. Norma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sansevieria as Houseplants?

Hi Norma,
Among the Sans I grow are cylindrica and masoniana. During the Spring, Summer and Fall I grow them outside in the yard. Then bring them inside during the cool part of the year.
Currently I am trying some experiments with them, combining different varieties in one pot. My favorite so far is a large pot with Sans cylindrica, "Moonshine", trifasciata and one other whose name I cannot recall just now.
I also grow ballyii and pinguicula.

Elsie

o

There is a great big bluegreenish grey one with, often a bit wavy, leaves nearly six inches wide and nearly three feet tall. Tends to blossom frequently. The people over on that very slow trafficked Sansevieria Forum can link you to sources if you are patient.

o

Norma,
I really like Bantel's Sensation, but out of all the sans, this one has not pupped yet, I'm also afraid it will get rust. I also love the fans. sweinfurtheria doesn't do anything for me, but has two new pups, so it's forgiven in it's ugliness. Francisii still doesn't have roots and is looking pretty bad.

o

I picked up a Sansevieria kirkii at Grigsby about 15 years ago. My mom has had it inside in low light. It is unchanged over this time, as far as I'm aware. That is, no growth, but nothing has died back either, and no loss of color. It's like owning an (awfully nice) artificial plant.

o

I love them too, but boy can some a looooonnngg time to grow.

Mike

o

Howdy..
Norma, which Sans do you consider common?
Sansevieria trifasciata...Mother-in-Laws-Tongue/Snake Plant?
And/or birdsnest varieties? Toni

o

Toni,
Norma may or may not be watching here. I think she means the ones always for sale at the stores. Which is the ones you suggested. Norma has over 250 different kinds. Maybe more now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here