Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Fragrant and/or Edible for Under CFL?

Posted by jjblanche (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 1:34

In a nutshell I have a spot on a corner desk I'd like to put a nice plant. I've rigged up a 6500K 27 watt CFL (the four tube four pin flat kind, not spiral) and have 20" of vertical space from the desk surface to the bulb. This can be adjusted lower but not really any higher.

Factoring in pot size I can maybe fit a 12" plant, probably something more like 8-10" (or a plant that can be kept trimmed to that size). I can probably do about three feet in width if the plant gets bushy. At first I was thinking something fragrant to act as an air freshener, then started to consider edibles but I really don't know where to begin. I have tons of experience with outdoor vegetable gardens but am kind of clueless when it comes to finding a plant that fits within the above parameters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Fragrant and/or Edible for Under CFL?

I recommend Hoya Lacunosa for scent. It is kind of a hanging plant, but it would be happy sprawling in your space even if it was trimmed from time to time. You could possibly trellis it up a tiny trellis under your lamp.

This hoya does not need as much light as some, and it is very small, attractive, and easy to grow. The scent is the absolute best! However, it is mainly fragrant at night. If your not going to be around your desk from evening to early morning you are going to miss the scent. Mine is in the bathroom and I can smell it in the living room at night. It smells like the inside of a florist's cooler, very floral. To me it is a lot like carnations and hyacinth. Mine bloomed about 9 months from a rooted cutting, and it looks to keep blooming intermittently year round.

o

jjblanche, a computer programmer! grew three herbs in a 'topsider' on the windowsill of his (corner) office.
Regularly, he would cut the tops off them and take the "cuttings" home for garnishing / eating.
I was impressed.

o

Lemon balm is fragrant and edible :)

o

Its not fragrant but seldom known Cuban oregano(P. amboinicus), is a great indestructible edible, that taste like its namesake. For fragrance,Arabian tea Jasmine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here