Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas on how to use this?

Posted by quinnfyre z7 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 1:44

I have these two pots that are part of a sconce/pot set. Basically, it's a swiveling sconce upon which you place this pot planted with your houseplant of choice. It looks pretty nice. Trouble is, the pots are these so-called self watering things. It is an 8 inch pot (I think) which has about a third of it divided off to be the water reservoir, and is supposed to seep into the other side which has the soil and plant in it. Now I have never used it this way, because I think it doesn't work well, but I am finding that it doesn't work terribly well as a normal pot either. When you are finding that pothos, of all things, is suffering in this pot, I think we have a problem. It does have a drain hole on the side that you plant in. Any ideas what I can do to make this a more usable pot? Is it having a moisture balance problem due to the empty third of the pot? I'm assuming that it is kind of like having a pot that is half glazed and half terra cotta. Knock out the divider somehow? Just looking for ideas. It's a nice looking pot but I am frustrated with it. The sconce idea works well though. I'm attaching a link so you can see what it looks like, as a concept. I'll try and get a picture of the inside of the pot itself tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant sconce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas on how to use this?

I would plug it up completely so there's no drain and grow something in it semi-hydroponically.

First, go get a bag of long fibered sphagnum moss, take enough to fill the pot and place it in a large bowl of water and soak it well.

Take your pothos or whatever you want to put in there and knock off all the soil and clean the roots of any soil left on them.

Pot up your plant in the wet moss as you would with soil making sure the roots are imbedded in the moss well and then just pour enough water in the pot for there to be 1/2 to 1 inch of water in the bottom. It will wick up through the moss to evaporate and provide the plant with water. Toss in another cup or so of water when the surface starts to dry.

once every month or two, take the pot to the sink and run water through it to overfill and rinse the mineral build up out of the moss. In my experience the moss will last anywhere from a year to two years before it needs to be redone which is comparable to a soil grown pot. You can let it go longer but it isn't healthy for your plants to wait too long.

You could replace the moss with hydroton or some other LECA (Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregrate) type product, it would work as well and not break down but it is heavier which is something to consider when hanging things on a wall.

Danny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here