Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Ideas on how to use this?

quinnfyre
12 years ago

I have these two pots that are part of a sconce/pot set. Basically, it's a swiveling sconce upon which you place this pot planted with your houseplant of choice. It looks pretty nice. Trouble is, the pots are these so-called self watering things. It is an 8 inch pot (I think) which has about a third of it divided off to be the water reservoir, and is supposed to seep into the other side which has the soil and plant in it. Now I have never used it this way, because I think it doesn't work well, but I am finding that it doesn't work terribly well as a normal pot either. When you are finding that pothos, of all things, is suffering in this pot, I think we have a problem. It does have a drain hole on the side that you plant in. Any ideas what I can do to make this a more usable pot? Is it having a moisture balance problem due to the empty third of the pot? I'm assuming that it is kind of like having a pot that is half glazed and half terra cotta. Knock out the divider somehow? Just looking for ideas. It's a nice looking pot but I am frustrated with it. The sconce idea works well though. I'm attaching a link so you can see what it looks like, as a concept. I'll try and get a picture of the inside of the pot itself tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant sconce

Comment (1)