Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why are ficus burgundy new leaves convex?

Posted by greentoe357 z7b Brooklyn NY (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 1:53

When this ficus sends out new leaves, they come out convex / shaped a bit like a parachute. Even after weeks, they are still convex. Any idea why that could be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why are ficus burgundy new leaves convex?

The old leaves had enough light so they were concave. The new leaves that grew in suboptimal conditions are concave because they are doing all they can to accept as much of the inadequate light as possible.

Concave = fold inwards because its too bright
Convex = open up, there is not enough light

o

Oh wow. I suspected it had something to do with light, but I totally missed that the convex shape itself opens up more of the surface of the leaf trying to catch more sun rays. Incredible how plants do that. Thank you for the reply.

As it were, I am researching grow lights for my apartment right these days, so maybe that will make this ficus happier.

o

I would not recommend grow lights for an ornamental plant like this where the main purpose is for the plant to adorn your apartment. This is a low light plant and convex leaves are not an issue. The plant is simply adapting to its environment and this plant is extremely efficient on this score.

I have three ficus elastica burgundies in my apartment. Two of which are in low light areas. One of those two is lucky to get 500 lux and is still growing new leaves.

If you find yourself insatiably possessed with adding light then I might recommend just replacing a nearby light bulb with a stronger 'daylight' (5000-6400k) CFL bulb. That's all you'll ever need with this plant.

o

Hmm. Well, a major reason I do not have grow lights yet is actually because I think they look totally ugly and take away from enjoying the space by humans. Definitely something to think about.

I have other plants as well - most not high light but I am very curious how they'll do with much better lighting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here