Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Ivy Plant with dead leaves

Posted by Rinko none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 1:55

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend bought me an ivy plant a few months ago and it was growing and seemed fine but about two or three days ago, the leaves suddenly started turning brown. Not all of the leaves, just some of them. It looks about the same now. I'm wondering whether or not it just needs to be pruned, or maybe needs more soil? I don't think I over-watered it. Could it also be because it sits inside a cyclical pot? Should I re-pot it in a normal pot?

I also can't seem to turn the photo the right side up on the forum :p it's the right side on my computer but won't get uploaded like that. Sorry! Hope it's still helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Ivy Plant with dead leaves

For people like me who view your post, we just click on the photo and it opens in a new screen the right-way-up. (Don;t worry, it happens sometimes on GW)
It's hard to see what the medium is inside that cylinder - it may be that the soil has gradually soured, or that because it can't drain and only evaporate, your water source has caused a build-up of salts.
It could also be some change in conditions due to inside conditions (air conditioners etc) versus outdoor conditions (change of direction of sun coming thru that window over the seasons).
Others will no doubt add their thoughts - mine is that the outside bit of ivy is quite saveable at present if you can find any sign of a node or root nubbin along the stem, cut it off just below and put it in water in a bright place to root while you deal with the rest.

o

I agree with alisonoz and my thought to add is its not getting enough fresh air.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 11:04

Given your situation, the 2 most likely issues are over-watering because there is no drain hole, spider mites because Hedera is typically a mite magnet indoors, or, if the planting has been established for more than a couple of months, the salt build-up Alison mentioned.

Weak plants don't usually yield cuttings with a high success rate, but because ivy has pre-formed roots that occur at every node, you might snip the terminal 5 nodes, snip the leaves off 3 of them by cutting through the petiole (leaf stem) close to the attachment point, and potting it in a conventional pot with a drain hole and fast draining medium and putting the cutting outdoors in open shade and out of the wind. I would take the remaining parent pot out of the pot it's in, remove the old soil, and also repot that in a conventional pot with a drain hole and fast draining soil. After the cutting roots and/or the plant recovers and they start pushing new growth, you can start regular applications of fertilizer.

PS - it's VERY easy for roots to get over-heated in a clear container - your set-up is essentially a passive solar collector. If any direct sun hits that container - it's a problem.

Al

o

Thanks so much for the help, everyone! I moved my plant out of the clear container yesterday and into a pot with a drainage hole with some fresh soil. Also cut off the stem and put it into some water. Let's hope this works!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here