Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ah97

Dracaena leaves turning black - any help?

ah97
13 years ago

Hi,

I've had the Dracaena plant for a year with no problems. I give it 500 ml of tap water, once every week.

Lately, the leaves started getting black areas and the tips turning black as well.

Any help is appreciated!

Comments (16)

• ah97
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
  • tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

While it could be fungal (doubtful), or from over/under-watering, simply adding a pint of water weekly absolutely guarantees a steadily progressive build-up of soluble salts in the soil. This is the main reason such a high % of hobby growers think houseplants 'only last a year or two' before you have to buy another that doesn't look so ratty.

You haven't given us anything to go on, as far as cultural conditions and your fertilizing/watering habits, but based only on odds, my first guess is you need to take steps that will eliminate both soluble salts AND the possibility of root rot if you DO water properly.

Al

• ah97
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Al. Can you or someone please advice on
    - what is the correct watering habit for such a plant?
    - how often should I add a fertilizer?
    - how often should I replace the soil?
    - how to eliminate a soluble salts and root rots.

Thanks.

• Lucylim
    9 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it looks like same issue? I have just recently repotted the plant with new potting mix and the issue started. I planted other dracaena plant in the same mix but those seem to be doing fine. Can anyone please advise how to revive this plant?

Thanks

9 years ago

It's hard to say for sure. If it started immediately (within a month or 2) after the repot, it might be from anoxia (not enough O2 in the soil due to compaction or (most likely) a soggy soil. It could also be related to the accumulative effect of fluoride in foliage tissues or a high level of dissolved solids (salts) in the soil. If you're interested in chasing it further, you'd need to tell us more about your growing habits so we could weed out the more unlikely causes.

Al

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Not all tap water is equal, but *most* tap water can make Dracaenas ill. Any of the common substances in tap water seem to be offensive, fluoride, lime, chlorination.

Even if not possible every time a plant is thirsty, giving (and flushing) with pure water can help a lot. Rain, distilled, and condensate from dehumidifier or A/C are good sources of pure water (in a plant sense, don't drink condensate.)

• stewartsjon
    9 years ago

Massangeanas are more or less guaranteed to lose leaves this way. Or at least they are from the tips.

The brown patches half way up are less usual, and almost look like it got either sprayed with something or caught by a sudden increase in sunlight?

• Lucylim
    9 years ago

It started right after repotting repotting. I use tap water but I also let it sit for 24hrs to evaporate the Chlorine. It was a perfect plant before repotting. I have more of the same potting mix. Do u think re potting again will help? If it is lacking O2 can I put some peroxide it the soil...3% h2o2 diluted in water

• Lucylim
    9 years ago

Also it only received indirect sunlight. It has been at the same spot as it was when it was healthy. I have trimmed the brown parts but not sure how to cure it.

• stewartsjon
    9 years ago

Personally I'd leave it alone then.

I'm of the "let sleeping dogs lie" school when it comes to repotting. :-D

9 years ago

Most chlorine (chloramine) additives no longer gas off if you leave your tapwater open to evaporation, and fluorine just doesn't gas off at all. Adding the H2O2 will add some oxygen to the soil, but it will also produce free -O radicles that will oxidize the first organic molecule they contact, so it's not a good long term remedy. The damage is almost surely related to hypoxia (not enough O2 in the root zone) or fertilizer burn, and in looking at the picture I'm getting the gut feeling that it's not enough air in the roots. Repotting into the same soil will likely produce the same results, and trying to manage your watering so the soil doesn't get too wet will result in a build-up of dissolved solids in the soil, which also inhibits water uptake and produces the same spoiled foliage.

I could link you to a thread that will help you deal with excess water retention, or you could investigate making a soil that you can water to beyond saturation (so your flushing the soil when you water) w/o having to worry about what you're dealing with now.

Al

• Lucylim
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for advice...

• Lucylim
    9 years ago

Hi Tapla what thread were you recommending?

9 years ago

Here's the thread that will help you deal with excess water retention in your soils.

More important though, is knowing how to avoid the excess water retention, poor drainage and insufficient aeration entirely. You can read about that here.

Please let me know if you have questions or want guidance.

Al

• Lucylim
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link...Tapla