Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

Saw a Coffee plant

CactusBoss
10 years ago

Saw a Coffee plant today at the nursery. First time I've ever seen one for sale. Should i have bought it for $2? Are they easy?

Comments (23)

• User
    10 years ago

Very difficult I'm afraid. Difficult to keep up with humidity needs in Winter. Even in season mine have gone into decline (tap water sensitivities maybe?)
    If you find out the secret, let me know. Good luck.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Why do you want this? It's the kind of plant that only leads to heartbreak. If you really love the leaves, go for it. If not, it's just going to take up space, become sentimental, and never be a 'wow that's pretty' plant. Gardenia or jasmine look about the same and have the reasonable expectation of lovely perfumed blooms. But, that's just the spot I've arrived at after years of honing my taste, how I feel about having one personally (or about any 'plain green' plant that can do something really cool but probably won't in captivity.)

10 years ago

Whoever said that garbage obviously hasn't touched the leaves of a coffee plant. So if you're prone to falling in love with the 'feel' of a leaf, don't fondle the coffee plants. (See, I didn't follow my own advice above "if you really love the leaves," - touching them is a way to fall in love!) But how bad can a $4 decision be? Twice as bad as a $2 decision. If it's a mistake, I'm twice as guilty.

How's it going so far, CB?

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't buy it.

10 years ago

Then you can be smug when if mine dies... Might as well start with a pic. How does the $4 version compare to the $2 one you saw?

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

CB, you should have bought the Coffee Plant. lol

It took several tries, but I finally lucked out in 2005.

I was going to give up, but our local grocery store had one Coffee arabica for 1.00. Thought, okay, one more try.

It's still alive..During winter, I set the pot on pebbles and mist..
    Once a month, submerge the pot in a sink filled with soapy water..Well, 2 drops of dish soap to 'x' amount of water.

Coffee was in a 4' pot when I brought it home. Now it's in a 10 or 12'.

I'm going to try posting a photo, but since I'm not using my IE, don't know if it'll download.

{{gwi:96888}}

Don't know if the pic will show.

Coffee needs acidic soil, very bright light..during winter it's in a se window..the south doesn't get much light.

PS: If possible, get the plant..lol. Toni

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Wow Toni!!! That is one gorgeous coffee plant.
    Every time I see them at our local greenhouse, I'm always tempted to "try again", then remember that I always fail. The leaves turn black and fall off.

I love foliage plants, the only flower I own is a phal orchid and it blooms constantly.

• User
    10 years ago

Purple, the pic you posted really does not look like a coffee plant to me. But not sure what it is. Btw, coffee is one I repeated buy (and kill), but may eventually achieve success!

This post was edited by njoasis on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 9:32

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Jas...thank you...
    The photo is old, but it's raining and I don't feel like getting wet taking a new pic. lol.

Purp, I was going to mention your plant isn't Coffee..At least, not arabica.
    There's other types, but all I've seen have lines/veins on foiage.

Those Angel Plant tags!!!

10 years ago

TY, NJ. It does look kind of ficus'ish, doesn't it?

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I definitely would have bought it. I bought a tiny one for about the same price years ago, and it grew into a beautiful plant maybe 3 feet high. Beautiful foliage, would still have it if the ex didn't make me throw it away when we moved...

Christopher

• User
    10 years ago

Definitely not coffee. But see why you thought it was--the label is wrong.

But your post has encouraged me to try coffee once again!

10 years ago

Coffee leaves are more puckery/veiny, aren't they? I'm going to separate my plant from this thread, (and ask what it is separately,) sorry for any confusion. As the pic clearly shows, I'm a victim of "wrong tag." (Which could have happened accidentally at many points, or after arriving at the store, not indicting the wonderful folks at EA, without whom, I'd have soooo many fewer plants.) Glad to have enabled anyone though, including me. Now I want a real coffee plant too. Good luck to all!

Christopher, it's obvious why that didn't work out, so sorry!

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Purple, if you mean with the ex, one thing I learned is that your partner can't like everything you like, but if she doesn't like houseplants, there is always going to be friction. I lost a 20 year old Easter cactus and 20 year old crown of thorns the same way...

Christopher

10 years ago

Yes, that's what I meant. I hope you've altered your screening process for potential mates if you're out there looking again. Some things, like plantitude, should be discussed on a 1st date, IMVHO. So sorry about your losses, of plants and people type!

I looked Wed but didn't see any coffee plants at WM...

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purple, do you have Jewel or Albertson's/Albersen's (same stores/named different down south) in AL?
    If so, they sell EA, Coffee plants. Jewel is where I bought my Coffee.

Don't think I've ever seen Coffee at WM's, but WM's sell different plants depending on location.
    Maybe you'll get lucky.

Christopher. I'm sorry you've gone through so much sadness.
    May I ask a personal question or two? If you'd rather not answer, please disregard.

When you and your ex dated, did you have plants? Not that it matters, everyone has hobbies. A wife or husband buys items their spouse may not care for. Ex, make-up, perfume, etc.

I'm sorry you lost 20-yr-old EC and COT's..

10 years ago

Thanks, Toni! I've never heard of that store, by any of those names. Sounds like that's a shame. I wasn't at WM looking for coffee plant specifically. The tag that said coffee (on the not-coffee plant I got) was an EA tag though, so technically a coffee plant could show up anywhere there are EA plants. No doubt, not all WM's have the same plants! There are 3 stores within an hour of my house, and they never have the same plants. The one I drive by (literally, I pull in the parking lot and look in the plant fence,) hasn't had any house plants for about 2 months, and the only hanging baskets they've ever had were just Pothos and ferns. That store and the other closer one (that has tons of room for plants that's almost always just empty) don't care for the plants at all. The one that does has a usually great selection that changes really fast, and if you see something you like, you better get it that day, it won't be there next week. That store has house plants all year, but is the farthest/most inconvenient to visit.

Looks like they're all trying to scale everything else down to make room for seasonal stuff at the moment... here comes the Poinsettias, NIP's, Amaryllis, TC's. As soon as the seasonal plants are gone, they'll start getting more house plants, from what I've seen in previous years.

None of the other non-BBS stores have any house plants that I don't have at the moment, that I can afford (in $ or space.) Hope I don't sound like a cheerleader for shopping for plants at WM or any BBS, that couldn't be farther from the truth, just a situational reality where I am.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Purple and Toni:

I never knew loving houseplants would be an issue potential mates would have to discuss, but I learned the hard way.

My fiancee thankfully loves plants, in fact here is one of hers...

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Christopher

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Relationships are all about communication. When two people are both passionate about something that they share in common,they can spend the rest of their lives together with plenty to talk about...shared discoveries are so bonding and engender closeness.

Happy for you Chris!
    Congrats on your engagement! :)

10 years ago

With a great plant like that, this new girl must be a keeper! Good to hear!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Purple, I was told by a Jewel manager, that Albertsons/sens stores were located down south. I'll have to Wiki locations.

BTW, Ardisias are usually sold at Jewel, however, I've never seen one at WM. Then again, it's been ages since we've stopped there.

On days you feel like cruising, turn up the CD player, and go to the furthest store. lol. Maybe you'll find something different or rare????

Lots of stores replace plants for seasonal decorations. Jewel and Dominick's have a floral dept so they always have plants..Problem, 'like you said,' plants sold are also seasonal. For instance, during autumn, Jewel's floral dept sells mainly mums. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas or New Year's, Poinsettias, Hydrangeas, and tree-shaped Rosemary..
    Very few stores sell Thankgiving Cactus these days..They might have 10 from Nov-Dec.

Even HD doesn't carry as many TC's anymore..
    When I worked at HD, after Thanksgiving we got the most beautiful colored TC's around.
    There were hundreds. At the time, I had TC's, so didn't bother sorting through..Sorry I didn't!! :)

Nowadays, around the holidiays, HD's shelves and displays are filled with Poins, variegated Holly, Hydrangea, and over-priced Azaleas.

Purp, I hope your Ardisa does well. They're beautiful when mature..berries and flowers...

Purple, you don't sound like a cheer-leader for BBS's. lol.
    I believe everyone here is interested which plant types are sold at BBS's. Who hasn't stopped at Walmart, Lowes or HD looking for plants??

Christopher...I'm happy to know you have a fiancee, and thankfully she likes plants too...:)

Wow, her Euphorbia is beautiful...love flower colors.

I guess, now when one asks for someone's hand, after proposing one must inquire, 'Will you marry me?..........btw, do you like plants?' lol

I'm really happy for you, Christopher. :)

Hey Asleep...Right you are! Communication is very important..I learned the hard way..

Toni

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments, Asleep, Purple, and Toni...So happy to find the woman I did...I thought the fact she liked plants was a bonus, but now I see it is a necessity!

Christopher

• goren
    10 years ago

SHHHHHH.....keep that to yourself......
    Starbucks will try to control world supply of the plant if you don't keep mum on it.