Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lucky Bamboo - Fluoride or Light Problem?

Posted by jinxaire (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 3:55

I just moved apartments a month ago and my lucky bamboo's not looking too good. I started giving it filtered water from an under-the-sink filter instead of the machine reverse osmosis water I used to buy, but the lighting where it's sitting is also a little different from my old apartment. Can you please let me know if this yellowing is being caused by the water or the light? Sorry for the picture quality.

Don't mind the trimmed off tip in the first pic - I used to use tap water until all of the tips browned and I learned that they need filtered water. However, as you can see, it's developing dry tips again (the untrimmed brown tips).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lucky Bamboo - Fluoride or Light Problem?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 11:24

It looks nutritionally deficient - what are you doing to supplement nutrition?

Al

o

I always used tap water (hard water) for about two or three years on all of mine when they were growing in just water, then I moved them to soil and they still get tap water with no ill effects on the leaves.
I have read where if they are in water for a long time, they CAN end up getting root rot for some people.
It's a little hard to tell if yours is in soil or water, but make sure if it's in soil, that it's not drying out all the way, or staying soggy wet causing root rot. Keep the soil a little on the moist side at all times (I usually water once a week) and also make sure the plant is not getting a lot of direct sun.
Mine get a little bit of direct sun, mostly though, bright indirect and some dapple sun.
They are planted in with syngoniums which also like moist soil. They get a little diluted "reg" fertilizer each week and all the ends of Dracaena sanderiana (lucky bamboo) are perfectly fine, nice and green and have been for years:)

Billy Rae

o

Browned tips usually indicate root-rot with these plants, indeed.

How often are you cleaning the pot, stones, and changing the water?

I've seen these grown in horribly dim locations, so my guess would be
a root or nutrient issue.

Josh

o

Thanks, everyone. It's been a couple of months since I gave it fertilizer and a complete water change but the poor things have survived worse than that from me before. I know, I was a very bad lucky bamboo caretaker...

I went to check for root rot and when I took the plants out of the container, I saw that the roots looked just fine, but the stalks are yellowing from the base up. :(

I went ahead and cut the shoots off the plant and hopefully, they'll root. If they do, I'll be sure to do weekly water change and feed the little guys more regularly.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 10:18

Plants that are not growing are dying. Plants need all the essential elements available at all times to grow normally. Tapwater does not supply all the essential elements. Draw conclusions. ;o)

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here