Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is My Croton Petra Plant Flowering?

Posted by Summersoff none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 5:30

I'm pretty much sure it is, but I'd like confirmation. I heard that to get a Croton plant to bloom is very rare. Is this true?
I don't do much with it at all. It faces a south patio, several feet from the sliding glass door. I do give it plenty to drink every 1-2 days. The soil is constantly dry if I don't. VERY thirsty plant! =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is My Croton Petra Plant Flowering?

My crotons flower quite easily, but have never set seed. The flowers are pretty inconspicuous and are fairly easily missed if you don't pay attention to the plants. I think it's more a matter of being easily overlooked rather than being so rare.

o

Summer, your Croton is definately blooming.
I too heard bloom Crotons are rare, especially grown in containers, and cold locations.

So, congrats on the blooms.

In some cases, less attention to a plant is preferred.

Hello Tropic...Toni

o

I've read a lot about the rarity of blooms with the Croton Plant. Mine has been re-potted once and stands in a west facing window with bright sunlight 12 months a year. Blooms such as pictured occur often but I've never seen one this long before.

o

Maybe it's just that the plant's matured enough, unless something else has changed. I have one that started flowering about 9 or 10 months ago and still hasn't stopped. However, most of the others I have flower for a while and then stop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here