Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving and concerned about moving plants..

Posted by bikesurly0527 none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 5:49

Hi, I'm moving and was wondering what suggestions you all might have to safely move a nearly 6 ft. tall Bay Leaf (not sure what the 'real' name is) and a 6.5 ft. Norfolk Pine. They've grown a lot in the 4 years I've been here and when I moved to where I am now it was possible for me to put them in the back of the station wagon. No longer! Would it be possible for me to move them on their side? Moving 50 miles away and it's a straight shot on the interstate so there wouldn't be a lot of moving around.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving and concerned about moving plants..

I would put them in the truck, or is there not a truck involved?

o

I would take them out of the pot and wrap the root ball up in a couple layers of plastic, like garbage bags or something like that. then you don't need to worry about soil getting all over your car. You'll still need to prop up the plants by the stem so the branches don't break off. Maybe some flat cardboard boxes will work for that, something that can reach the stem between the branches will be necessary.

o

Don't need to take them out of pots. You can use scrunched up newspaper to surround the trunk of the plants on top of the soil, even bubble wrap. Then tape it down a few times across with packing tape. Put the whole pot into a garbage bag and if you are still concerned about spillage twist the ends of the bags at a couple of points and tape down again.
That takes care of the pot end.
For the growing end, it depends on what vehicle you are intending to use. and how much other stuff you have in there that might damage the leaves etc.
If, for example, you were thinking of strapping to a roof rack, well you'd position the pot at the front of the car and try to wrap the rest in as much bubble wrap as yu could afford.
If inside - like in the boot (trunk?) and then laying some seats forward, you just need to cushion the plant with bubble wrap, blankets, whatever works to stop it bouncing around. Seatbelts can work for plants, too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here