Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby's Tears and Wandering Jew

Posted by flkatlady Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 5:54

I had both of these plants when I lived up north - does anyone know where they are available in Fl? I see them on line but shipping is prohibitive....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby's Tears and Wandering Jew

Hi Katlady,

Sorry, I don't know, but given how important landscaping is in FLA, I'm guessing you can find a couple of nurseries nearby where you might go & ask. Am guessing you mean for these to grow indoors, but either way, indoors or out, I'd tell the nursery people exactly what you have in mind.

o

Try looking in the herb section for Baby's Tears. It is also called Corsican Mint. The store I work at sells it under this name in summer and groups it with the herbs. In winter, it arrives under the name of Baby's Tears and is sold in our houseplant section.
Hope this helps.

Nancy

o

Soleirolia soleirolii is the scientific name of the once popular terrarium plant commonly called Baby Tears. It is NOT the same plant as Corsican Mint. I can't tell you why it has gone out of favor at the retail outlets. I used to like to plant little bits of it in glass baby bottles to give as a shower present.

Wandering Jew is the 'usual' common name for Tradescantia zebrina, though others may go by the same name, too. It is not a landscape plant. This is the one with the purple-y color under the leaves, but a silver tone on top. Used as a hanging basket. Is that the one you are thinking of? (Click on the attached link for pictures to compare.) I haven't seen a lot of this plant in recent years, either, it hasn't really been on my radar. Such a nice color contrast when grown in plenty of light.

As far as the latter goes, I'd think that you could find it in a decent plant outlet, even one of the big box stores. I'm not so sure of the Baby's Tears. Good luck on that one.

You might want to double check on the common names, though. You and I might be talking about different plants altogether!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wandering Jew

o

If you decide the wandering jew you're looking for is Tradescantia zebrina, I would be happy to send you a cutting for postage when it cools off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here