Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Watering larger plants

greyandamy
12 years ago

Hi everyone.

I have some back/arthritic issues that are a bit debilitating. When I bring my houseplants back in, I noticed one plant (Norfolk Island Pine) has gotten old enough and large enough to be heavier than I like.

Typically, when I water during winter, I've found it's easiest (though sometimes a PIA) to take plants to bathtub or sink, water, and let the water drain before replacing. That prevents them "sitting" in excess water that may collect in thier "Pot bottoms" (blanking on name) that I have under the pots.

With this and perhaps any larger plant in future, how do you water? Do you just leave it where it is and siphon up any excess that drains out. I've seen large plants on floors in houses, magazines, etc and always wonder how they water without overflow. Very gradually?

I'm just wondering of how to save lifting and yet not making huge mess. I did experiement yesterday and put a bucket under the plant that was in a stand but didn't have a "pot bottom" under it. It made a mess, the bucket wasn't quite wide enough.

Any ideas, I'd appreciate... a lot!!!

THANKS

Amy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville