Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering larger plants

Posted by greyandamy SW PA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 8:18

Hi everyone.
I have some back/arthritic issues that are a bit debilitating. When I bring my houseplants back in, I noticed one plant (Norfolk Island Pine) has gotten old enough and large enough to be heavier than I like.

Typically, when I water during winter, I've found it's easiest (though sometimes a PIA) to take plants to bathtub or sink, water, and let the water drain before replacing. That prevents them "sitting" in excess water that may collect in thier "Pot bottoms" (blanking on name) that I have under the pots.

With this and perhaps any larger plant in future, how do you water? Do you just leave it where it is and siphon up any excess that drains out. I've seen large plants on floors in houses, magazines, etc and always wonder how they water without overflow. Very gradually?

I'm just wondering of how to save lifting and yet not making huge mess. I did experiement yesterday and put a bucket under the plant that was in a stand but didn't have a "pot bottom" under it. It made a mess, the bucket wasn't quite wide enough.

Any ideas, I'd appreciate... a lot!!!

THANKS

Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering larger plants

Find a deeper tray or dish or whatever you like that your pot will fit into and then place something else, waterproof, in that, underneath the pot to raise it up so there is more space. I used to have a big jade plant that was over a dish and I place it on three 3inch glass cubes I had at the time so I could water it as much as I wanted and it would drain as much as possible and the pot would not sit in the water.

o

How about trying pot feet? They lift the pot a little off the floor/table. You could set it up all in the drip tray, or put a smaller drip tray under the pot just where the drain hole is.

Nancy

P.S. I have no affiliation with the website, I just found it via google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pot feet

o

I have back problems also. I read all the time that ideal condition is water until a pot drains. I do not follow that process during the winter. All my large plants have a catch basin under them. I water a little at a time and wait to see when it starts to drain out. When it starts to drain I stop watering and let the water soak up into the root ball,

This process does not leave the plant standing in water but slow water with out me watering a long time and lifting the pot to empty the catch bin.

All my plants go outside in the Summer so the soil gets good though rinsing at that time but through the winter I just try to give them enough water to survive.

o

I bring in several plants each year also that are too big to pick up if water fills the saucer. I wait until a plant looks like it's about to wilt, then use a spray bottle to mist the surface to prime it for absorbing water. Then a few small sips over the course of an hour or so, never an amount large enough that it would fill the saucer if it all flows out.

Those plants in the pictures are probably double-potted, with the outer pot that you see kept clean and without a drain hole. If the decorative outer pot does have a drain hole, some type of saucer or even plastic shopping or garbage bag can be put inside it, with the potted plant sitting in the saucer or bag.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here