Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me ID this plant

Posted by cabana NH (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 8:30

I was given this plant when I was sick in a hosp[ital for a month. When I got home my now fiance had this waiting for me and named it GW (Get Well). But she had re-potted it and did not get the name off of it. We have never been able to find another plant like it and would really like to know if we are taking care of it correctly. Thanks everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Please help figure out what I am

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me ID this plant

It's part of the dracaena family,aka corn plant :>) They are pretty easy to take care of as long as you dont over water them and keep out of direct sun. Re-pot every 2-3 years.
Christine

o

It sure doesn't look very happy.

o

looks like you might need a stake to get it upright. good luck, and get well!

o

From the Pix, I'd agree w/ Rhizo about the plant not looking happy.

IMO staking is the least of its problems. (A better & full height pic would help.) I'd suggest fresh soil, better drainage & maybe even a pruning as I'm guessing that bare stalk is quite tall. Nothing to be done about that, can't grow new leaves on the bottom.

Do some reading on these & consider if maybe cutting off the top w/ 6-8" to spare & re-starting it completely might not be the best thing to do.

o

Honestly, if it were my plant, and this is only my opinion, if it weren't for the sentimental value, I might toss it and begin again with a new plant. But to try to save it I would cut the top off and completely repot the plant with fresh potting mix. When and if new growth appeared I would place it near a sunny window.

It is important to identify the plant to determine the correct cultural requirements.

Christopher

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 20:24

I would:
1) bare root it, but leave the top tuft of foliage on the plant. Yes, it looks ugly, but if it is providing ANY photosynthate (which is the only real plant food), you cannot afford to loose it. That's like trying to get a job done on time, but firing the workers because they're not working fast enough. ;o) If the foliage is not making energy, the plant will shed it on its own with no help. Be patient.

2) After removing all the soil, repot it into a fast-draining durable soil. Don't fertilize until you see the first indication of new growth. If the top dies back on its own, new growth will break from the old stem - if the plant remains viable.

3) Site the plant outdoors in dappled or open shade. Open shade is shade with open sky above, such as you would find on the N side of a building or fence.

4) Get your watering habits in tune with the plant and soil. If you need help in this regard - ask. No sense in boring you further if your not on board so far.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here