Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Dracaena godseffiana (Florida beauty)

Who has one? What do you do with yours? Couldn't resist - $3 @ WM.

Comments (22)

• scsva
    11 years ago

I love these and they're seen everywhere this spring and summer. I even have 3 or 4 of them. For the summer, they're on my front porch and get bright, indirect light. They're in 6 inch pots with all purpose MG mixed with perlite and fed once a week with MG plant food.

I don't believe they're fast growers but have had steady growth since Spring.

Susan

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

That's what I was thinking. Just looks/feels like it would burn if the sun hits it. Is it an upright thing? These little EA plants were so close together, none were holding themselves upright well. I moved it to a hanging basket pot in case. Seems kind of bamboo-ish to me. Wonder if it sends up new stems?

Also wondering what someone was "on" when they named this. It's really a Dracaena? I don't remember seeing this plant before. Is this a new plant or just enjoying a recent surge of popularity?

I will have to make more hanging hooks if I want to hang up the last few things I've potted/repotted into these hanging-type pots. My Mom gave me a couple stacks of them but most had the hanging hooks cut off. She buys hanging basket plants and puts them in the ground and the hook gets in the way. I hope she remembers to call me next time. I want those things and rarely have any problem snapping them on/off.

• stewartsjon
    11 years ago

In Europe these are generally only grown in hydro so us soilies can't get them. Sure I've got one or two out there somewhere.

I have a bog standard surculosa next to me now, but I guess that doesn't count!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmm, never heard of that before either. Very similar-looking on the goog, and a few instances of the surculosa being called 'Florida beauty' also. But it DOES count. Thanks for the mention. So, it makes a trunk? (Standard?)

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Ooo, pick me pick me!

I have one. I rescued it from my BF's job in March. It was already 4 feet tall. It's not especially fast growing. It has these huge roots (I stick my finger in and since it's in a large pot, the roots are akin to a tree!) And it easily suckers.

I tend to ignore it, and it likes it that way. I water it thoroughly about twice a month and it happily goes on its way. It is a definite black sheep of the dracaena family, but it's a good grower.

Original Author
    11 years ago

"Ooo, pick me pick me!" Gigglez!

Thanks for the testimonial. It's hard to imagine this thing ever standing upright at such a height, but it sounds like it's going to get woody in time. Your rescued plant sounds very pretty! If you get a minute and have a device for doing so, I'd love to see a pic of your plant sometime (and extend the offer to anyone else so inclined.)

• goddess9
    11 years ago

LOL, it is heavily staked. There is no way those puny stems would grow stalk straight.

I'll take a pic when I get home tonight. :) Nice plant, btw!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, thanks! I need visual aids.

• goddess9
    11 years ago

{{gwi:97349}}

For height reference, it comes up to my chest. I'm 5'6".
    {{gwi:97350}}

For such a thin-stemmed plant, it has some fairly thick roots.
    {{gwi:97351}}

I tried to get this the best I could. On the right is an old stem, left is new(ish).
    {{gwi:97353}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well that is more odd than I thought. Thanks so much for the pics! Mostly foliage close-ups on goog, I couldn't get a feel for what it might be like in a year or two. Your pics help a lot. This really is a strange plant! What other plants have roots bigger than the stems?

Hope whatever you were putting the "icy hot" on feels better!

• goddess9
    11 years ago

LOL, my boyfriend has muscle pains so he uses it. I will pass along the wish!

It has looked much the same as when I got it...I would say it has grown two completely new stalks as well as a few offshoots. The big long stalk was already there. It had been (and continues to grow in) a lower light area, which is why it doesn't have nearly as many spots as yours. :)

I originally thought it was a Croton, so I was like OH NO NO and didn't want it in the house. However, I did some searching and saw on Plants are the Strangest People that there was a difference, both in look and growth habit. Apparently this plant gets leggy and there isn't really a way to avoid that. It isn't for those who prefer a compact plant. Oh well, it's easy to please. ^_^

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

LoL hi purpleinopp...i'm in florala and i also bought one of those at walmart...mine had enough in it that i planted some and traded pieces of it out in trades...the one i kept died tho as my daughter's kitten played with it and dug it up til it tortured it to death...it's nice to see yours is healthy and also nice to meet someone here that is so close to where i live...purple is my favorite color also :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

FPT and S-Jon, I went to PATSP blog to read the article about this plant and found this: "Dracaena surculosa -- often still referred to by the now-obsolete name D. godseffiana..." Apparently every time we refer to a plant, we need to check to see if the name's been changed the day before.

Apparently it can make flowers similar to Sansevieria trifasciata. That's pretty cool. It also said, "and sometimes called "Japanese bamboo..."

Moonfire, that IS close, cool! We swim in the lake at the park in Florala a lot. Hope the bad weather they were blowing the tornado sirens for wasn't in your area over night. That thing woke me up about 4 times but every time I looked out the window it was nothing but rain. I got an email from someone in Florala earlier this year about vines. Was that you?

I thought about separating this when I repotted it, there were 3 individuals in the pot, but "my peeps" don't really want me to give them any more plants, and I didn't have room for it to begin with, so I left them together.

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

hey purple :)

I emailed someone in Opp earlier this year about a coral vine i think it was...i had found one and someone in opp was looking for one...but the one i found i couldn't get to live...i got a few cuttings and tried to root them and that didn't work...so then i went and asked the owners of the house that had the vine if i could get some by the root...they graciously let me and that died too...so i don't know if that's a finicky vine or if i just didn't do it right...maybe i didn't get enough of the root as i had to take some off of the root ball...we gave them a couple of rooted brugs in return just being neighborly and i ride by all the time to see if they planted them and how they are doing but they must have put them in their back yard as they are not noticable in their front yard...it's good to meet another garden neighbor so close by :)

• scsva
    11 years ago

Gosh, it's good to see how my plants should look one day. I have 4 of them.

Susan

• stewartsjon
    11 years ago

Here's the only pic of a true Godseffiana I can think of in our contracts.

Having looked in the book, what I call a Gods. is a D. Godseffiana "Florida Beauty", what I referred to as a Surculosa is a D. Godseffiana Surculosa.

So I'm an idiot and Godseffiana is the fmaily name. Hey ho, every day's a school day.

• stewartsjon
    11 years ago

Ok, so while I'm at it, here's a Surculosa. This is a 2.5m one! I have one at home too: I prefer these to Florida Beauty.

• stewartsjon
    11 years ago

And finally this is D. God. "Pubescens" which IMHO are ugly. Poor photo too.

• ladyphnx
    2 years ago

Wow those look so cool big!

i just got back from Walmart and did the same thing lol! Lil $3 pots. Couldnt resist 💕

• ladyphnx
    2 years ago

Also got these lguys

• ladyphnx
    2 years ago