Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pseuderanthemum atropurpureum needs a common name

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 9:01

Not that I'm a fan of common names, but I can't say all that every time I want to refer to this plant that jumped in my cart Friday @ WM. Sounds like early morning sun would be good for the best colors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pseuderanthemum atropurpureum needs a common name

Purple

Doesn't look like there are many - this is what I found, you probably found those too -
(I like the last one):

Red Pseuderanthemumn, Purple False Eranthemum, Black-Leaf Shooting Star

o

Yeah, I did a little googling and didn't come up with anything that seemed like "the common common name" OR anything I wanted to say out loud. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not calling my particular plant "false" or "black" anything since I just don't want to. (And I think if this one makes a black leaf, I've got bigger problems than just wondering what to call it!)

This plant seems familiar but I don't *think* I've had one before. Is there an Alternanthera or something else it's similar to?

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 11:23

Yes, it is somewhat similar to Alternanthera (Josep's coat?), like this one in photo Brazillian Red Hots(I like it's name!); others by (common) name like Crinkle Red, Gail's Choice, Purple Night, Little Ruby, Party Time, Blood Leaf, Red Thread (some have much narrower leaves).

P.S. photo found googling...

o

Pretty! I just hope this plant recovers from its' pot being full of water. WM (or EA?) has started putting their tiny plants in cache pots with no holes, then they get rained on. I spent about 15 mins Fri evening emptying them out while looking, adopted a few of the best-looking ones.

o

This seems to be an Exotic Angel plant, purple perfection.

Really loving this plant and think it's doing well. The color on the juvenile leaves is incredible. It does burn easily but has great color where it is, getting the first and last hour of sun.

Anyone else have one?

o

Purple and Rina..Beautiful plants and colors.

Purple, the brighter the light, colors are very vivid..burgundy/cream/pink.

For years, I've called PA, 'Caricature Plant'. Caricature's common name was in my first plant book, 'w/botanical name, too,' so Caricature stuck.

Very nice..Toni

o

Rina, Joseph's Coat is an Amaranth, too. That's the problem with common names.

o

You know, I was in the middle of reading purpleinopp's blog post about beautiful foliage plants when I started thinking to myself, "What was the name of that pretty purple plant I had years ago? Purple Pleasure? Purple Passion?". I tried googling a little with those terms and couldn't find anything like it so I was thinking maybe I'd never remember the name...but then, as luck would have it, I scrolled a little further down that same blog post and there was a picture of it! I'm glad you identified it by its true scientific name, since "Purple Perfection" clearly didn't stick for me. :)

When I kept it indoors years ago, I do not recall it being particularly difficult to keep indoors. Why aren't they more common as houseplants when they're so pretty?

o

Soo dough ranth a mum, easy peesy ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here