Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

pseuderanthemum atropurpureum needs a common name

Not that I'm a fan of common names, but I can't say all that every time I want to refer to this plant that jumped in my cart Friday @ WM. Sounds like early morning sun would be good for the best colors?

Comments (9)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Purple

Doesn't look like there are many - this is what I found, you probably found those too -
    (I like the last one):

Red Pseuderanthemumn, Purple False Eranthemum, Black-Leaf Shooting Star

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, I did a little googling and didn't come up with anything that seemed like "the common common name" OR anything I wanted to say out loud. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not calling my particular plant "false" or "black" anything since I just don't want to. (And I think if this one makes a black leaf, I've got bigger problems than just wondering what to call it!)

This plant seems familiar but I don't *think* I've had one before. Is there an Alternanthera or something else it's similar to?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Yes, it is somewhat similar to Alternanthera (Josep's coat?), like this one in photo Brazillian Red Hots(I like it's name!); others by (common) name like Crinkle Red, Gail's Choice, Purple Night, Little Ruby, Party Time, Blood Leaf, Red Thread (some have much narrower leaves).

P.S. photo found googling...

Original Author
    11 years ago

Pretty! I just hope this plant recovers from its' pot being full of water. WM (or EA?) has started putting their tiny plants in cache pots with no holes, then they get rained on. I spent about 15 mins Fri evening emptying them out while looking, adopted a few of the best-looking ones.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This seems to be an Exotic Angel plant, purple perfection.

Really loving this plant and think it's doing well. The color on the juvenile leaves is incredible. It does burn easily but has great color where it is, getting the first and last hour of sun.

Anyone else have one?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple and Rina..Beautiful plants and colors.

Purple, the brighter the light, colors are very vivid..burgundy/cream/pink.

For years, I've called PA, 'Caricature Plant'. Caricature's common name was in my first plant book, 'w/botanical name, too,' so Caricature stuck.

Very nice..Toni

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Rina, Joseph's Coat is an Amaranth, too. That's the problem with common names.

• summersunlight
    11 years ago

You know, I was in the middle of reading purpleinopp's blog post about beautiful foliage plants when I started thinking to myself, "What was the name of that pretty purple plant I had years ago? Purple Pleasure? Purple Passion?". I tried googling a little with those terms and couldn't find anything like it so I was thinking maybe I'd never remember the name...but then, as luck would have it, I scrolled a little further down that same blog post and there was a picture of it! I'm glad you identified it by its true scientific name, since "Purple Perfection" clearly didn't stick for me. :)

When I kept it indoors years ago, I do not recall it being particularly difficult to keep indoors. Why aren't they more common as houseplants when they're so pretty?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Soo dough ranth a mum, easy peesy ;)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH