Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak Park Conservatory Houseplant Exchange

Posted by dellis326 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 9:35

September 8th
http://www.oakparkparks.com/parks/OakParkConservatory/events.htm

Any Chicago area people here every been to one of these? Is it worth going to?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak Park Conservatory Houseplant Exchange

your link.

I've been to plant exchanges organized here on GW, and have organized a couple myself, great times, but never to one sponsored by a conservatory. If I lived nearby, you couldn't keep me away from that with nuclear weapons and a whole army platoon!

o
RE: Oak Park Conservatory Houseplant Exchange

Danny,

Thanks for the reminder.

I went once by accident. We didn't know there was an exchange, so came empty-handed.

After talking to an adminstrator, he said pick out plants you like..I did. He 'GAVE' them to me for free.
He's a very, nice man, and quite generous.

I left with two full boxes.

Every Sept, I forget about the sale. I used to be on their mailing list. They also have herb and outdoor plant sales.

We went in the 90's, had a good time. Don't know if it's changed since, but if you remind me, lol, I am going to try making it this year.

There were a good number of tropicals and succulents...even citrus. Although, citrus was an ungrafted seedling w/numerous thorns.
But, plants were good-sized and healthy.

They accepted plant pots, 'plastic' of all sizes. Darn, I recently tossed at least 40 4" growing pots!
It's too late to start cuttings since the fair is so soon.

Are you going? Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here