Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asleep_in_the_garden

I couldn't help myself

Last night in the wee hours I was at WM and found a couple of plants in the reduced price area that looked a bit beat up but the way I see it,..with proper care,..they will eventually look incredible. Each was under three dollars so in spite of my obsession with growing everything from teeny cuttings and divisions(mostly to get around the expense),I had to buy them...the money just jumped out of my pocket!

This philo has to be one of the imperial series,right?
I'm seriously considering planting it in as a companion to the larger of my philo bips...as it would fit(and likely look awesome with it).

Like I said ,it's a bit beat up so try to see it fourth dimensionally.

Comments (19)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The other one is a homalomena,..or at least I'm pretty sure I think that's what it is. There was another like it with more potential divisions that I fully intended to take home with me but then I saw the philo and I put the "good one" back down to look at it(under three bucks?? Are you KIDDING???)...in my excitement I accidentally picked up the less impressive specimen and left with it instead! LOL

I still love it though! :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Double post!

Darn it!

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 10:12

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Nice! Once the rain washes those spots off of the leaves, they'll look a lot better. That Philo looks like it can stand straight up for a long time. Could the other one be an Anthurium? What does the tag say, "foliage plant?" Is it a grower tag from EA or Costa farms? If so, both list Anthurium but not Homalomena.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tag is from "living decor" and yep...foliage.

Was just trying that as search criteria and wow....nothin!

Admittedly the seach wasn't an intensive one,but last night I did an image search on homalomena to confirm my suspicions and it looked near identical in my opinion. Had one like a million years ago and I've wanted one all these years since losing it...now I have one again!

WOO HOO!!!

*does a little dance*

Have a closer look down in here...

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning Ladies,

Asleep, funny you went to Walmart in the wee hours. :)
    We too have a 24-hour Walmart, but I'm too afraid to shop in that area in the middle of the night.

You did good. Two plants under 6.00.

Your Philo goes for a lot more than 3.00, and it's not in bad condition.
    With your loving care, it will be a show plant. :)

Like you, I had Homalomena a million years ago. In pic 1, your plant definately resembles a Homa, but in pic two it's hard to tell.
    The stems could pass for Homalomena, Philo or Anthurium.

Does the pot have a bar code? If so, Google the number. Most of the time a product will show up by Googling 12-digit bar code numbers.

It's difficult helping onself...lol.

Toni

10 years ago

Interesting, I've not encountered that supplier at WM before, that I know of.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apparently a conglomerate DBA under a lot of subsidiary names

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yaknow?....I GOTTA stop showing up in this place wearing a dress...Toni's eyesight isn't what it used to be...she might think I'm a GIRL or somethin! ;)

YEP...the wee hours are the best,Toni...less hustle-n-bustle if ya know what I mean.

No bar code that I could find(invisible ink maybe? JK)...No worries though,..just as an insurance I posted a thread over in the aroids area one link over...someone there will HAVE to know for sure...though I stubbornly refuse to budge in my (biassed?) opinion. :D

Purp,..
    The tag was itself a WM tag so who knows,right?
    In a perfect world people would be a bit more helpful with the info,but who can say that they wouldn't get the labels mixed up anyway if they were?!! lol

Poked around that link and really couldn't turn much up there...thanks though...You're always awesome like that! :)

I conjoined these two now...don't they look happy together? :)

10 years ago

Yes, like older and younger cousins!

There wouldn't be anything to find at that link except the names of wholesalers (which probably don't have any helpful info available at the consumer level.) Pretty much a dead-end and sounds like you are saying that was a generic term on the tag, not the name of a company anyway. But it was enlightening in any case.

Why are there so many companies growing plants but the selection is always so boring? The couple mom'n'pop stores around here seem to mostly only sell what they propagate, with a slim selection of standards, about the same plants as the BBS's. If I ever went to WM and there weren't 9 baskets of Pothos, 2 heart-leaf Philos, 22 ferns, and anything else more interesting has bugs or is dying from standing water in the pot, or never having been watered since it left the grower, I wouldn't know what to do. I think the corn plants and Sans are the exact same ones for the past few years. I'm sure the thinking is to stock the 'best sellers' but once everyone has those... sheesh! They don't do that with clothing, can you imagine, the same clothes for sale for 30 years? This 'best sellers' thing is always a chicken vs. egg thing, too. If that's all they sell, those are definitely going to be the best sellers. Just from EA, it would be so easy for BBS's to be THE go-to place for house plants. Wish they would just open some company stores.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are kinda the motivation behind my putting a gang together in one pot(seriously thinking about working in another plant though I'm not sure which yet).

I'm pretty much out of pots so it's the next logical step. after seeing you do it,..I became alot more comfortable with the idea.

"generic term on the tag" Precisely! Good ferreting that out(I probably could have been a touch more clear about all that,huh?)!

If I still had a shirt from thirty years ago....I'd wear it. :)

My usual fashion statement is basically Hobo-Chic ...which roughly translates to NOT worried about another's perception of me. Never been the type to try to impress anyone by following trends. :)
    I agree that the plant outlets could stand to shape up a bit though,,there's so much out there that should be available yet is seldom ever seen. That's why I nearly lost it when I found my newbies last night.
    Just LOVE 'em! :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay...

This whole doublepost thing is getting old.

Whatever the nature of the glitch I haven't seen it this bad yet.

Get this...there aws a lag in it this time and it didn't give the duplicate right away as in most cases,but the interim was just over three hours!

This has likely happened to you guys as well but I just haven't noticed(til it happened to me that is,right?).

Anyhoo...
    Had to edit this anyway(no I didn't...it just drives me nuts to look at lol),so I figured I'd mention it.

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 19:34

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Purp..?
    I asked Tropicbreezent his opinion about adding a stake for support and then planting in my erubescens. I can imagine the visual effect already,can't you?

Anyway,..it suddenly hit me that the girl with the awl might just have an opinion about all this...and I would love to hear it. :)

Would you encourage me to to this or advise against it,or better yet,if it were your's,would you do it?

10 years ago

Well I'm flattered you'd ask but I'm better with visual aids! ...and would surely defer to Tropic's expert advice since I can only imagine a jungle. The plants sure are in close quarters in them, from what one sees in pics. Trying to duplicate that in pots may not necessarily be a great idea, you know I'm just flying by the seat of my pants (since you're stolen my dress!) but it makes perfect sense to me, we'll see...

Maybe you could add a pic of the double pot next to the Philo in question that you're considering adding to it? We've seen the double, but next to each other would leave no question about size/scale.

For a stake, I'd try to find something metal (for free, repurposed, that's how I roll...) If the plants get meshed together, aerial roots attached to stake, you probably aren't going to want to mess with that to repot. (And of course you will be repotting in the future, of course the plants will do GREAT!)

And BTW, you look fantastic in heels! I'd keep dressing up if I were you.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They say clothes make the man but let me tell you those heels were sheer torture. How the heck do you girls wear these things and not fall down left and right?

The stake in question is oak. I kinda wanted to go with that because I figured the aerials would go for that and seal to it better. Meanwhile that's an excellent point about repotting time...hmmmmm might be tough alright. Maybe after being with the stake long enough,the whole thing will have tied itself together and will come out all at once...cross that bridge when I get there?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another double...go figure,right?

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 11:35

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well...
    Like the thread says...
    ahem...

I went ahead and did it...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the view from the other side(somewhat anyway...things are a bit crammed in there).

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think this aerial will have any problem finding the stake! LOL

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tried to get a decent pic of the philo bip's new leaf coming on but the neighboring alocasia sarian is trying to steal the show.

Naughty camera hog! ;)

10 years ago

I like it! FWIW, the oak branches I'm using as stakes in one pot show no signs of rotting yet.

And yes, that's what I imagine for repotting the other staked plants. I did that Monstera and it was well attached to its' stake, the whole thing with roots came unpotted in 'one piece.' I just brushed off what I could at the bottom, trimmed a couple really big roots, put it in the bigger pot with buddies. It wasn't as full of roots as I'd expected, which was handy.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz