Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider Plant Babies

Posted by mel_10 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 9:57

Hello all! I stumbled upon the GardenWeb website about a month ago and just absolutely love it. So much wonderful information, and tons of helpful people. I have a simple question concerning my spider plant and was trying to search for an answer but was unable to find anything. I am trying to root one of the babies on my variagated spider plant for my mom. I placed a tray of water under the baby, which is still attached to the mother plant. The baby has two roots growing on it already, the longest about a quarter of an inch. How long should I leave it attached to the mother plant? When should I place the baby in some potting soil? Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks, Mel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider Plant Babies

Personally, I prefer rooting the babies in soil from the start. The transition from water roots to soil roots can be tough. Either way, I leave my babies attached to the mother plant until I see substantial new growth, then I cut the stem as close to the baby plant as possible.

o

Thanks bunnygurl. I kind of figured that was case with rooting spiders after I started it in water. I have since placed the baby in some soil and it is growing happily :)

o

I have an additional question about this:

My son came home from school with a spider plant, and he's supposed to grow it and bring it back each year for a "plant fair." I've never successfully kept a plant alive for more than six weeks, but this thing is thriving!! I was cutting the stolons, because I didn't know what they were, and I thought it would help the main plant grow. But after reading online, I left them alone.

Now I have seven little babies out of my not even a year old plant, and I'm trying to root one for Me. I've got a good candidate: nice large baby, pretty leaves, nice flowers. I filled a small pot with lightly watered potting mix. Then I placed the baby on top of the damp soil and secured with a twist tie folded over it: not binding it, just keeping it in place.

My question is this: how long will it take the baby to grow roots?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 10:39

They already have roots. Spiders are among the easiest plants to root because the plantlets at the ends of stolons come with preformed adventitious roots. Nestle them into a barely damp soil and keep it that way & they will happily take off.

Al

o

Thanks! I appreciate your answer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here