Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Callisia repens? Cross-post

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 9:57

Have 2 plants that have been ID'd as C. repens but they're different plants. Any thoughts on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Callisia repens? Cross-post

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 10:34

It's not unusual for there to be considerable variation within a species from plant to plant. I have 3 Styrax japonica (Japanese snowbell) growing on as future bonsai and they all exhibit markedly different 'personalities'; which leads to the question, "Why couldn't your plants be the same species or a variant of the species?"

Al

o

I've asked myself this also. But since I'm just a dabbler, I don't have the answer. But I find myself muttering, like, "We have plants with multiple names, changed names, disputed names, but these 2 definitely-different-to-me plants have to share the same name? Ridiculous!"

Thanks for the introspection!

Cat in the Hat fans? Thing 1 and thing 2...

o

At the price of admitting how dumb it was to overlook the backs of the leaves, I must to draw everyone's attention to it. One's purple on the back, one's plain. Yeah, I know... feel free to really let me have it (after taking another look of course,) if you can do better than "brain fart" which I'll go ahead and throw out there... TIA!

o

Purple. Do you have a new pic to show front and back foliage?

o

Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear, they were added to NTP post.

o

Purple, you did make it clear by THIS, but I didn't notice the date which was posted a few days ago. Sorry.

Is the plant in pic 6 the same as pic 1? Leaf shape differs...???

I love the deep red/purple stems..

o

In the original post for this on NTP, the first 5 pics are of one plant, then it says plant #2, under that are 3 pics of a different plant. Then yesterday I added one pic of the back of the leaves of each plant. One of these days they'll make big enough computer screen to post them next to each other... I hope. Thanks for looking!

o

Jury's still out... any further thoughts?

o

Purple, just a guess, but plant one an two resemble Callsias, but different varieties.

I'm going by leaf shapes.

o

Thanks, Toni!

I think I have figured this out. Plant #2 is Callisia repens. Plant #1 is seen at Glasshouse Works website, "CALLISIA ITSY BITSY" and is unidentified regarding species. Hard to believe nobody has gotten around to naming this plant.

Plants listed in alphabetical order here, if anyone wants to look.

o

OK, if anybody cares, I think I have figured out what the mystery "not Callisia repens" plant is! Callisia monandra, from Mexico.

I'd chalked it up to perceptive differences but was never satisfied that the Glasshouse Works plant reportedly has 'eggshell blue' flowers, whatever color that would be, definitely not white like my plant.

Here's a pic of some from Jan., with Easter cactus.

o

Oops, was there a pic?

o

SOAB! I see they've added a "red reminder" for people like me. Wish they would just fix the programming though.

It's this guy. The NTP discussion and pics (including the flowers) will still come up although it's atrophied from the regular listings.

o

Still trying to figure this out, new pics on NTP, if anyone has anything at all to say.

Callisia monandra?

Does anyone else have a mystery creeping plant like this?

o

I think I have the same plant posted in the cactus forum trying to get an id :) does it grow really fast and break of pretty easily? Sorry just wondering because mine does.

o

I think I have the same plant posted in the cactus forum trying to get an id :) does it grow really fast and break of pretty easily? Sorry just wondering because mine does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here