Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Callisia repens? Cross-post

Have 2 plants that have been ID'd as C. repens but they're different plants. Any thoughts on this?

Comments (16)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

It's not unusual for there to be considerable variation within a species from plant to plant. I have 3 Styrax japonica (Japanese snowbell) growing on as future bonsai and they all exhibit markedly different 'personalities'; which leads to the question, "Why couldn't your plants be the same species or a variant of the species?"

Al

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've asked myself this also. But since I'm just a dabbler, I don't have the answer. But I find myself muttering, like, "We have plants with multiple names, changed names, disputed names, but these 2 definitely-different-to-me plants have to share the same name? Ridiculous!"

Thanks for the introspection!

Cat in the Hat fans? Thing 1 and thing 2...

Original Author
    11 years ago

At the price of admitting how dumb it was to overlook the backs of the leaves, I must to draw everyone's attention to it. One's purple on the back, one's plain. Yeah, I know... feel free to really let me have it (after taking another look of course,) if you can do better than "brain fart" which I'll go ahead and throw out there... TIA!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple. Do you have a new pic to show front and back foliage?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear, they were added to NTP post.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, you did make it clear by THIS, but I didn't notice the date which was posted a few days ago. Sorry.

Is the plant in pic 6 the same as pic 1? Leaf shape differs...???

I love the deep red/purple stems..

Original Author
    11 years ago

In the original post for this on NTP, the first 5 pics are of one plant, then it says plant #2, under that are 3 pics of a different plant. Then yesterday I added one pic of the back of the leaves of each plant. One of these days they'll make big enough computer screen to post them next to each other... I hope. Thanks for looking!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Jury's still out... any further thoughts?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, just a guess, but plant one an two resemble Callsias, but different varieties.

I'm going by leaf shapes.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Toni!

I think I have figured this out. Plant #2 is Callisia repens. Plant #1 is seen at Glasshouse Works website, "CALLISIA ITSY BITSY" and is unidentified regarding species. Hard to believe nobody has gotten around to naming this plant.

Plants listed in alphabetical order here, if anyone wants to look.

Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, if anybody cares, I think I have figured out what the mystery "not Callisia repens" plant is! Callisia monandra, from Mexico.

I'd chalked it up to perceptive differences but was never satisfied that the Glasshouse Works plant reportedly has 'eggshell blue' flowers, whatever color that would be, definitely not white like my plant.

Here's a pic of some from Jan., with Easter cactus.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Oops, was there a pic?

Original Author
    10 years ago

SOAB! I see they've added a "red reminder" for people like me. Wish they would just fix the programming though.

It's this guy. The NTP discussion and pics (including the flowers) will still come up although it's atrophied from the regular listings.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Still trying to figure this out, new pics on NTP, if anyone has anything at all to say.

Callisia monandra?

Does anyone else have a mystery creeping plant like this?

• raylynn2
    10 years ago

I think I have the same plant posted in the cactus forum trying to get an id :) does it grow really fast and break of pretty easily? Sorry just wondering because mine does.

• raylynn2
    10 years ago

I think I have the same plant posted in the cactus forum trying to get an id :) does it grow really fast and break of pretty easily? Sorry just wondering because mine does.