Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_l_gw

'climbing pole for Philo'

Ken_L
18 years ago

I was in a greenhouse in Atlanta and they had a huge Philo climbing up an awesome pole...I'd like to design a similar planting but I am unsure of how to find a similar pole.

It is hollow, about 6" in diameter and it looks like it is "woven". It has hundreds of small holes or cross sections for the vine to attach itself.

Any help or quesses on what kind of wood this might be would be great.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• plantladyott
    18 years ago

Hi Ken,

Wow that pole sounds real nice! UNfortunately I've never seen anything like it nor do I know who would sell one. However,I've used fine 1/4" square wire mesh to make philo poles. You can use two 4" or 6" nursery pots as a template for the diameter. Buy your length of wire at a builder's hardware store, then roll it into a long tube. You can either cut and bend each tiny wire to keep it closed or use some eletrical wire to 'sew' it shut. Then stuff it with peat moss or sphagnum moss and make sure there's enough room at the top to stick the 4" or 6" green nursery pot inside after you've stuffed it. This is so you can pour water down inside to keep the moss moist as the roots will be more prone to grab on there.

HOpe this helps?

Rolande

• MEENEE
    18 years ago

wow! that sounds neat. Do you have any picture Rolande?

• plantladyott
    18 years ago

I had to slap something together as I don't currently have anything needing a pole. You can see it in this link. I used a scrap of mesh which wasn't long enough for a pole but at least you get the idea. I substituded a scrap of coco mat for the moss. Use your imagination.

HTH!
    Rolande in Ottawa

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss pole

• stonesriver
    18 years ago

Rolande:
    No photo :-( Just sign-in page for WebShots.
    Linda

• plantladyott
    18 years ago

Ok I'll try again. How about now?

Rolande

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss pole

• Ken_L
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That is a great idea!

Thanks...but if anyone else has ever seen then "woven" wood I speak of...please post up!lol

• breenthumb
    18 years ago

I'd love to know too. Sounds really nice. Any chance you remember the name of the greenhouse? Maybe they'd respond to an info request by email? Good luck. Hope you'll let us know if you find one. Sandy

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    18 years ago

The absolute best I have seen were climbing up palm trees. Palm would never be hollow though, I don't think.

• nanw_4wi
    18 years ago

Do you suppose it was Cholla?
    Here's a photo I found on the 'net....I think these particular pieces were bleached.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lilacs_and_hyacinths
    18 years ago

Aren't pieces of Cholla or a similar plant sold as "rain sticks" that, when you turn it upside down, hundreds of little seeds fall through the hollow branch, making a sound like rain on a rooftop.

I have seen these rain sticks in mall stores that sell nature-oriented products and educational toys for children. Perhaps that might work for you.

• Ken_L
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's it! Cholla! lol...

Thanks Nan!

The plants looked amazing clinging to the poles!

Thanks a million!

• rwk30084_bellsouth_net
    17 years ago

These were great suggestions- Went all over Atlanta today trying to obtain a moss pole for a new gigantic Philodendron I recently atained. Now, I'll make my own!

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

RK, don't forget to buy the silver, metal U-shaped clips so plant will attach to the moss pole. Toni