Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepperomia is sick

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 10:06

I bought this plant 2 years ago. It was fine then but something is wrong with it now, I think it may be some sort of fungus but not sure. Right now it is in the same pot and soil it came in. Would it be better to replant in a better draining mix? I fertilize every two weeks. Here are some pictures. This is a pic of the whole plant.

photo ENTIREPLANT_zpsec63af26.jpg

This is taken from above the plant. You can see the yellow spots forming.
 photo CLOSEUPOFLEAFTOP_zps7ee94643.jpg
 photo CLOSEUPOSLEAFBOTTOM_zps81421610.jpg

photo INFECTEDLEAVES_zpsaa1cd544.jpg
Here you can see the brown spots on the bottom of the leaf. Is this a fungus? What would be the best way to handle it?

Now that the question is over with, here's a shot of my new plant. I bought some plectrantha seeds so I could fill my outdoor containers this spring. I didn't know how easy they were to root! I've now brought in several of these.
 photo PLECTRANTHUS_zps2a240fd9.jpg

Thanks for any help. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepperomia is sick

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 13:08

Do a search using the search words oedema and plants. It looks like oedema, a physiological disorder, rather than a fungal infection. When plants take up more water than they can rid themselves of via transpiration, they often exhibit the symptoms in your picture. The condition is exacerbated by one or more of: periods of cool weather, high humidity, and days with decreased photo-intensity (cloudy days).

Al

o
RE: Pepperomia is sick

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 13:23

Thanks, I'll check those out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here