Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena sport? Nutrient deficiency? Odd variegation

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 10:14

This tree is growing a branch with some completely white leaves. I keep expecting the leaves to "turn normal" but as you can see, it's been doing this for a while, this branch started popping out about 6-7 months ago. The other branches continue to grow the same, normal leaves they started with. What do you think of this? Sport? Nutrient issue? Response to prior damage/stress? Common or making you mutter, "what the...?"

I can get the real camera out if seeing something more clearly would help determine. Just LMK.

Previous pics of this tree, if interested. Scroll down to Apr. 27 to start seeing pics that include this new branch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena sport? Nutrient deficiency? Odd variegation

That would be a chimera (kigh MEER a), a mutation. A sport is a mutation that occurs in a new shoot rather than expressing itself like this....over the whole (or half) plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click for your study hour....there will be a test

o

Purple, I love it! The white foliage.

I too have a Dracaena that was given to me by a neighbor..She hates plants inside her house.

Dracaena

The other Dracaenas in the same pot are light green w/darker green striping. The whiter trunk grows well, whiter..lol

Problem is it's hard to keep alive.

o

Thanks for the link! I almost get it. Will have to read a couple times. Can we know from just looking at this which type of chimera? Or is it necessary to propagate it to see if it continues to make new shoots like this?

o

Still confused from the rudimentary searching I did when I initiated this discussion since some of the info is conflicting regarding defining the terms. BUT this stem of this Drac has progressed to producing all white leaves... Really, maybe it's just getting "gray" from old age? Ha!

o

No insights from me here, but super pretty!!! I love the white!

o

It's definitely a mutation in that stem, and it is pretty, but it could not be propagated separately from the parent plant as, producing no green leaves, it has no chlorophyll and is relying on that produced by the regular shoots to survive. Still, as long as the other shoots grow green leaves and photosynthesize, it should continue to grow,

I had a similar mutation in a potted vinca vine "Wojo's Jem" where one stem sprouted and grew in completely white. It grew very slowly but survived for a few months as the plant still had green leaves to rely on. Eventually, it died out though.

o

This same thing happens to a mint perennial I have in one of our garden areas. It grows a few stems and leaves that are white, while the main plant, itself, is mostly green with some variegation here and there. I have no insight, and must assume it's a genetic mutation in nature having to do with variegation... these things do happen.

In the end... we can manipulate Mother Nature to a certain extent, but we can't control her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here