Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I get my Christmas cactus to bloom this year?

Posted by kgd25 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 10:21

I have a Christmas cactus that NEVER blooms, but grows like a weed. It is very healthy and consistently has new growth. I have left it outside for the summer, but really want to it to bloom this year. Any tips on how I can get it to bloom this season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I get my Christmas cactus to bloom this year?

Hello kgd25,

You need to make sure that come fall/winter, you are having the plant be in 12-14 hours of darkness. Meaning it can't be in a room that has lights turned on and off. It needs to be uninterrupted darkness. Try keeping it in a cooler area that doesn't have any drafts. In about a month or two you should see buds forming. Good luck!

o

I find just leaving them outside until the very last moment in fall gives them the right ratio of light to bloom, for mine form buds before they even come in(assuming you are really talking about the Thanksgiving cactus and not the true christmas cactus which is way less common and blooms later) Christmas cactus wont bud outside but with that treatment they tend to bloom for me anyway:)

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 12:41

Dress up in a large red suit, stuff the waistline with a pillow, and 'ho ho ho' to it every day.
And if that doesn't work, do what they said about leaving it outside for cooler temps and lower light. When you bring it inside avoid exposure to artificial lights after dark. It blooms on a photoperiod...too much light=no blooms.

o

Can it stay outside all year where you are? That should do it. They respond to short days/long nights. If you do need to bring it in, put it in a room where you don't turn on the lights after dark.

More info here, here, and here.

o

Can you post a picture of the plant?
Perhaps there's something in the culture that is preventing it from blooming.

Josh

o

We have no idea where you are zone wise. Are you, in fact, Zone 10?

I can safely leave mine outside through early November, usually later, and it sets buds without fail, every year. So, it is usually in bloom late November into December. I do nothing for it but leave it outside...in the darkening days of Autumn.

o

i put them in cooler temperatures in late summer and autumn. throughout the year i keep them in a sunny room ( where they receive light shade with 3 hours of afternoon sun ) that is around 15 C degrees.

The trick is to keep them cold.. from 10 to 15 C , i have blooms from autumn to late spring. they form buds when temperatures are low.

o

Mine never need to get cold or cool to bloom...

All I have to do is feed them during growing season and leave them put, in the greenhouse or a room in which gets dark naturally with daylight and they all bloom..

In fact, I try not to expose most of mine to cold since I want the true bright colors I bought them for..If left to get cold, like below the 60's, all of mine will not bloom to true color..

Mike

o

Mine never need to get cold or cool to bloom...

All I have to do is feed them during growing season and leave them put, in the greenhouse or a room in which gets dark naturally with daylight and they all bloom..

In fact, I try not to expose most of mine to cold since I want the true bright colors I bought them for..If left to get cold, like below the 60's, all of mine will not bloom to true color..

Mike

o

Will agree with not to cool I had flowering on mine during mid to late June this year with back of house some direct sun late day with temps in the 80's.

I antisipate it to flower again during the holidays as it had a short rest in a dimer natural lighting cooler than 80 warm area, then re into it to brightness temps can be higher than 70's but lows would be near the same temp Mike had mentioned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here