Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jansy1985

Calathea Roseopicta Medallion around Toronto

jansy1985
10 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find Calathea Roseopicta Medallion around Toronto, Canada? I saw some pictures of it on this forum and fell in love! Problem is, I can't seem to find it anywhere in local garden centers. Even the web wasn't that helpful. Is it really an uncommon houseplant, or is Toronto weather just not good for it?
I'd appreciate any info you could share. Thanks!

This post was edited by jansy1985 on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 10:51

Comments (7)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Jansy,

This may or may not help.

Go to gardenwatchdog. Once you're on the home page, scroll down. You should see, 'Browse by North American State/Province.'
    Click on the arrow, 'right side,' until you find Ontario.

A list of nurseries will display.

Some nurseries may not be in business, but usually GWD will state, out of business, etc.

Another option is here on GardenWeb.

Go to Other Forums, which is on the upper-left-hand corner of each forum.

A list of forums will pop up.

Click on 'Regional Forums.' Scrool down until you see 'Gardening in Canada.'
    I've never been to the Canada Forum, but maybe you'll find neighbors who collect indoor plants, including Calatheas.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help, but I live in the states. :) Toni

• jansy1985
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Toni! I found the list of nurseries from your instructions. I'll make some phone calls and hopefully I'll get lucky :)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Jan, good luck.
    Yep, either phone or email first. Hope you find the Calathea. Toni

• jansy1985
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found these 2 little guys on clearance today - both were marked tropical foliage. One on the right doesn't look like Roseopicta Medallion but I think it might be another variety of Calathea. Any help in ID'ing it would be greatly appreciated :)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Jansy. First plant is Pothos.
    Third plant is Maranta, Prayer Plant.
    Marantas and Calatheas are closely related, but I realize you're seeking an actual Calathea.

Well, you're getting close. :)

Continue looking. Have you checked out Ebay? Toni

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Jansy. First plant is Pothos.
    Third plant is Maranta, Prayer Plant.
    Marantas and Calatheas are closely related, but I realize you're seeking an actual Calathea.

Well, you're getting close. :)

Continue looking. Have you checked out Ebay? Toni

• jansy1985
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Toni. It does look like I'm getting close :)
    I added my name to "plant books" at nurseries for a call when they get it in stock. Although, it looks like at this time they're focused on clearing out their stock - hence the generalized labels? So I'll keep searching the clearance racks around garden centers.
    Oddly enough, I found Calathea posters for sale on ebay/amazon and not actual plants!
    In the meantime, I really like Maranta a lot. It's lovely to see it expand in the morning and "go to sleep" in the evenings.

-Jan

This post was edited by jansy1985 on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 18:35

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths