Houzz Logo Print
asleep_in_the_garden

Is this what I think it is?

Aglaonema valentine?

Comments (13)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's my best guess so far but a second opinion would be swell. :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

How did it come to be in your possession?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was a gift. The giver has no idea,but after seeing a thread somewhere around here(couldn't find it for the life of me)I thought maybe it was a valentine,,,but not entirely certain yet.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Asleep,
    On a completely different note (I know very little about Algs), does that African Violet have spoon shaped leaves? o_0

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Planto,it does.

It likely requires attention I'm not giving it. The terrarium its in had been on the dry side lately.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Excuse me for being dense as I watch this drama unfold, the people next to me are shusshing me, but it's me talking again - the fact that it's an Aglaonema is not in question, just the particular variety/cultivar? That's one of the prettiest leaves ever! No idea there were Ags with pink leaves too, oh my. I admire your gift!

...so they sell the red ones around Christmas and the pink ones around Valentine's day?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pretty certain it's an ag and when I'd seen the pic on that missing(to me anyway)thread,I suspected valentine but wasn't going to say as much in that discussion(heck I may not have been in it at all lol)because at the time I had no way of posting pics. I totally know what you mean about that leaf being pretty(and thanks!)! When I first got it,all it had was the near solid pink leaf so I was expecting more of the same. When the new leaf emerged it became obvious that this assumption was way off(which I have mixed feelings about). These guys require so much patience from me. That last leaf took FOREVER to come on and now that I see a new point forming it's all I can stand having to wait to see what it will look like,yaknow?

• nancy_pnwzone8
    10 years ago

asleep,

it can be very difficult to tell some of the thai ags apart. i've found that each leaf's coloration can vary a lot, even on the same plant, depending on how much light it got while forming.

having said that... i'm guessing that your ag is the one called variously "Anyamanee", "Ayn Ya Manee", or "Aun Ya Manee" depending on the source. there are probably other spellings as well. the "valentine" plants i've seen have had a paler pink color, and much smaller green regions. as i said, it's just a guess.

i just love these plants.

cheers,

nancy

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Asleep,
    Best care or not, I think that spoon look is neat!

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy,

Thanks for that info! I looked it up and anyamanee is definitely a possibility. :)

Planto,

I grew it from a single leaf a few years ago and really don't remember "spoons" so much but maybe the original plant had them too. Like so many propagation experiments,the leaf went into the terrarium and was more or less forgotten(because you can do that when using one).

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Asleep,
    Hehe. :) Sounds possible, I found this on Optimara's website: "Spooned: Leaf type. Also called cupped or cupped-up. Describes an African Violet leaf which has the characteristic of being concave, i.e., the edges turn up slightly to give the leaf a cupped or, especially on an ovate leaf, a "spooned" appearance. Also see Trumpet."

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wicked!

Thanks for pointing that out...now I don't feel like I'm failing them quite as much as before. It was like they were bent in agony or something.

Come in here with a aggie and learn something about a saintpaulia!

MAN I love this place!! :)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Asleep,
    :)

Planto