Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird new leaf growth on edge of leaf blades

Posted by harvey12 z7 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 11:28

My daughter bought a potted house plant at an estate sale. The seller did not know the name of the plant, but knew that it had been in his grandmother's plant collection for years. The plant develops an enlargement of a vein on the leaf surface, then a new leaf develops where the enlarged vein meets the blade edge. I have tried to find reports of this phenomenon on the web, but with no success. This is not similar to rooting a plant from a single leaf. A new leaf develops, which may approach the size of a normal leaf, but no root structure, etc. We would both appreciate the opinion of forum members about the name of the plant, and whether or not members are familiar with this process http://www.flickr.com/photos/50996704@N04/sets/72157624733900784/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird new leaf growth on edge of leaf blades

You have an Epiphyllum.
Which one is impossible to tell without a bloom...and even then is difficult to accurately ID.

o

Is it a Kalanchoe, Mother of Millions type?
I haven't seen the pic...

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 13:27

I can't help with a name of the plant, but I'm familiar with the physiology & can explain it if you're interested.

Al

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 22:00

Rec'd your email. Thought I'd answer here, on the off chance there might be other curiosity.

In mature leaves of a few plants, secondary veins end in dense parenchyma tissue. The tissue dedifferentiate, and then redifferentiates (becomes unlike what it was, and reorganizes into a new type of tissue entirely) into meristematic growing points. These points would be much like the growing tips (apical meristems) on a normal branch. This dedifferentiation and redifferentiation is common in plants, and is the basis for how stem tissues give rise to de novo (formed anew) roots in cuttings. At the same time redifferentiation occurs, something called foliar embryos form and leaf primordia organize. (Primordia are the earliest recognizable stage of leaf formation.) The basal portion of the primordia becomes the new leaf petiole (stem).

Al

o

Many thanks to those who have responded. To nanw: I think that you nailed the ID of the plant. To greenman28: the subject plant has linear, tapered leaves, and does not look like the usual Kalanchoe leaf. The new leaves on the edge are also different from the usual "Mother of Millions" plants, in that they do not have root structures, and may expand to look almost the same as the original "mother" leaf. To tapla: thanks for the explanation, and the stimulus for me to try to find more about the frequency of occurence of this process in epiphyllum. I did not find any relevant information, so I again turn to forum members. Is this a frequent phenomenon in members of the epiphyllum family? At this moment, I have learned a lot about the family, and have acquired knowledge of the amazing beauty and variety of a plant group I had somehow ignored. I missed the fact that it was a cactus (it does not look like the usual cactus), and thus missed the clue that cactus leaves are "different", and may develop daughter plants from their "leaves". Thanks again for your help!!

o

I know this is an old thread, but I came upon it while searching for info on E. oxypetalum... this link says the part of the plant we regard as leaves are flattened stems.

I was recently given some well-rooted & happily growing cuttings (one is 8' long, with new, rubbery stems growing out); we'll find out how we get along. It had a broken stem & I'm curious to see what happens there... if something does, I think I'll undertake some pruning in a couple months.

Here is a link that might be useful: E oxypetalum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here