Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Plants that keep blooming if/while propagated

What can you snap off while blooming that can take root while still blooming, never missing a beat?

Various Begonias, Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender,' most Tradescantias, Impatiens walleriana and capensis, Coleus, Gibasis geniculata (Tahitian bridal veil,) are ones I've seen do this.

Comments (5)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

More of a windowbox critter maybe,but a cutting of petunia bloomed on me while sitting in a little bit of water(a piece broke off in the front bed and I couldn't throw it away,..that'd be murder,right?)...since then it got moved into a terrarium so I wouldn't have to worry about keeping up with it and I'm guessing it's not blooming now because a bit ago when I was looking for it to get a pic,I couldn't find it.

It'll turn up eventually. LOL

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent! I can't throw away decent trimmings either, usually yard plants though. I'm famous for showing up at people's houses with unsolicited plants. "Where do you want me to dig a hole?" LOL!

Never had a Pentas get big enough to play with propagating before this year. I've have snipped off a couple pieces with buds recently and put them in the ground. Within a week, they've stopped the slight wilt I saw the day after I did it, and the buds look fine, I think they will complete their mission. So duh, I should have stuck the pieces in a pot instead of the ground. Apparently I can save this over winter like so many other tender-perennials-masquerading-as-annuals. My 2nd favorite category of plant after house plants, and really blurs the line between house plants vs. annuals (for those that are really tender perennials.) Anyway, this is promising, I'll try with a piece already in bloom next.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning Everyone,

Purple, good question.

Setcreasea 'Purple Heart,', Begonias, Kalanchoes, some Euphorbias, Plectranthus, Coleus, and 'don't know if the following plant is Tradescanta...

Does anyone know its type? I assumed Tradescantia.

{{gwi:97679}}

Purp, you have this plant.. Cuttings in water continue flowering.

Since you brought up this subject, what about plants grown hydroponically? Do plants bloom?
    What about a cutting placed in plain water? Toni

Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, I think that's T. sillamontana, the hairy one. Pink flowers?

You're right about Kalanchoe! Good one.

For cuttings in water, everything mentioned so far (except Pentas and Plectranthus,) I can say yes, they keep blooming. I think I've mentioned to you before about keeping Coleus cuttings in water to save for winter. They are determined to bloom, always faster than I get around to pinching the blooms off. The little flower things fall and it's dust-buster time.

(BUT outside, I leave the blooms on, for the butterflies and hummingbirds, who love them.)

Sedum. Not all, but many blooming cuttings can carry on like nothing has happened.

Portulaca, same as Sedum.

The succulents are winning...

Original Author
    10 years ago

So yes, the Pentas has carried on with the progress of the buds on the first round of cuttings. Almost a week since I did another one with already-blooming flowers, so it's a bouquet taking root, way cool.

And Toni, your plant inspired me to try that Tradescantia in less sun. That's one that I got in April in NOLA and it's been in full sun (when there IS sun) since then, not only at the west end, but hanging from a the hand rail along the exposed walkway between carport and front porch. Yesterday I snipped a couple pieces and put them in pots at the east end. They weren't blooming, so have nothing to do with this discussion, I just like the look of your plant equally to the purplish/smaller-leaf appearance mine has. Yours really looks great! And I can't have just one of anything, as is probably apparent to anyone who's looked at more than 2 discussions here.

One of these days I'll find a petunia plant that appreciates me, and the right spot to put it! At this point, killing a few every spring is just a habit, I know how it's gonna go after doing it for decades. In OH, I never had a great sunny spot for hanging baskets and did it anyway. Here, I'm starting to think I'm cooking them, from reading stuff around GW, IDK. Had a really awesome wild one show up last year, with the palest pink flowers. Tried to take cuttings of it but had various fails with that too. I'm not too hard on myself though. These are one of the first plants to be gone from stores as spring gets going. They never sit around and make it to clearance with the moss roses and wax Begonias with bronze leaves, they either get bought or die instantly. Who can resist their cheerful, SCENTED blooms at the store? Not me?

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs