Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Visitors to your plants.

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 11:33

What critters have visited your plants? What plants did they visit? Let's see them!

Saw this TINY anole lizard on Dracaena sanderiana yesterday evening. For a grown woman, I have very small hands. This little guy's head was smaller than a pencil eraser. There's nothing special about the Drac regarding a visit from an anole, they visit any/all plants looking for anything to eat, which would be anything that moves that they can catch that will fit in their mouth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Visitors to your plants.

How cute is this little critter?!

The background leaves are Chamaedorea elegans, parlor palm, BTW.

o

Oh Purple..He's sooo cute. Adorable.
It's amazing the little guy allows you to lift him, even if a leaf is between your hand and his body.

I'd give him/her a kiss. lol.

The only pic I have w/wildlife is the Mantis on perennial.

o

Purple,
Sadly, I don't have any pictures to show, but my visitors have always been Anoles. The first year we moved here, I found black clumps of "stuff" in my Hostas. I dug it out (bare hands and all... who touches things that they're not sure what it is with their bare hands?!), thinking nothing of it. A couple days later, I saw this huge Anole in one of the Hostas. I'll let you guess what that black stuff was. :P

More recently, (last year) I brought my Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess' indoors for the night. I noticed one of its vines bouncing up and down and had to investigate. I walked over to the plant and saw a pair of eyes looking up at me (another Anole).

I've also brought another Anole inside who was hiding in my Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Queen.' Again, I have scared one out of the same Hoya when I was watering it outdoors. They really like my Hoyas for some reason.

I do have a picture of an Anole friend, but unfortunately, it's not on one of my plants. Sorry, as the picture is of poor quality. I took the picture through the glass; I didn't want to scare it off by going outside. Actually, now that I think about it, I haven't seen any Anoles since I took this picture two or three months ago!

Planto

o

You know how much I love those anoles, purple. So much fun to watch.

o

Wow, Anoles are amazing! Purp and Planto are so lucky.

Ok, found this pic although it's nowhere as exciting as your little lizards.

The Milkweed weed, Asclepias attracts the prettiest insects.
It's hard to see, but on the flower is a bumble-bee and a dark red w/black spot insect. Don't know what the latter is, but it's attractive, 'for a bug.'

Milkweed also gets a little bug w/silver, black, red, pink...a multi-colored insect.

Milkweed

Sorry, didn't want to place lens in bee's face lol

o

Toni, I think that would freak it out too much, surely it would think I was about to eat it?! I try to be as non-threatening as possible when I notice these guys. He/she was looking at my head when I slowly reached my hand behind to give scale to the pic. I've never had one let me pick it up, but have been able to fool little ones into running up my arm a few times. The big ones are too wary and fast but some people can catch them. I'm too worried about squishing them to grab them, and that just seems like a scary-to-them thing to do.

AFAIK, they do a great job keeping all kinds of 'bugs' off of the porch, compost pile, yard in general. I sure see them eating plenty of 'bugs.'

Here's a link to your mantis pics & chat. I'd love to see one of those inspecting some plants here.

I DO see the critters visiting your flowers. That's an awesome milkweed plant, and flowers!

Planto, I have an idea that the anole had just eaten whatever was poopin' in your Hosta, probably eating the leaves. They move around too much to make a pile anywhere. I think?

We see them in the house sometimes, but surprisingly, very rarely although there are plenty of places one could find its' way in. I'm pretty sure the one we kept seeing in my son's room last winter was brought in with a plant. Maybe it was more than one, IDK.

Rhizo, I know, you have great taste in critters. Smiles!

o

Purple,
Odd thing was, I didn't see any damage to my Hostas' leaves. In some ways, I hope that was Anole "stuff" as it was about 1/4 cup. I would be afraid to know what else could leave so much "stuff" behind! :\

Planto

o

LOL ...No way an anole left a 1/4cup...This IS a mystery! Wonder if the phantom pooper will return?

Back when I lived down south anoles and treefrogs and all manner of critters visited regularly. In fact I found out the hard way just how at home they were in my plants. It was summertime when I moved up north and although I was certain that no stow-aways were on board,a short while after arriving in Minnesota I noticed a couple of hatchling anoles in among the container plants. For those who don't already know,anoles will lay eggs in your potting medium so if it's where they can get it,be careful when repotting because you never know if your turning their world upside down.

I meant to catch them and keep them as pets but they vanished before the winter set in so I know it didn't go well for them and that sucks. :(

I miss anoles a bunch. They are one of my favorite garden buddies...and Purp has the right of it,no sudden moves around them over the long run and they get used to your presence(kinda). As gross as this will sound to some(who are freaked out by bugs),if you are careful like Purp is around them and you hold out a housefly caught between you fingers so it can wiggle and flap around,the little lizards will actually run up to you and take it! It takes patience and a willingness to be still(let alone to hold a bug in your fingers!),but at least to me it's just such a thrill to watch them come to trust you,and even maybe associate you with a free lunch. :)

o

we get various anoles and geckos in flocks here in honolulu. the baby geckos especially love visiting us indoors and 'decorating' the windows with their..... ugh. but they are cute and eat bugs. If only I could stop the grown up anoles from jumping on my legs when I'm working out on the lanai. It freaks me out. Oh and a few weeks back they were amorous all over the place, coupling up everywhere, it was scandalous. Lots of babies now.

o

Purp, I wonder if mama wildlife instructs baby wildlife to stay away from, those tall beings.

I know they're fast.
A few times, when plant shipments arrived from FL, every so often a reptile was in the box with the plant.
After opening the box, they ran out..FAST. I tried catching them, 'a little frightened since I didn't/don't know one rep from another,' but they ran out the window.
I felt terrible because I knew they'd never make it in IL. Even if they got through summer, 'finding food, etc,' winter is just too cold here.

But, anoles are adorable..If I knew the rep was an anole I'd try lifting one....but like you, be worried I'd crush the poor baby.

Do anoles make sounds? During mating season or any other time of year?

Purple, thanks for posting the link.

I forgot about Slinky!

I've told this story before, but...

One autumn while bringing plants indoors, I noticed one of my Crown of Thorns was bare.
In fact, it had two leaves.
Wondering what happened, I found Slinky.
We knew Slinky was a cacoon, but didn't know if he/she was a moth or butterfly.

I removed him/her from my COT's and placed a Pothos stem and sprinkled water in a container.

Slinky.

Slinky2-2008

Thankfully leaves grew on COT's, but we didn't know what to do w/poor Slinky.
Of course, Slinky transformed to a beautiful, extra-large butterfly. First, this type, 'King or queen something or other,' wasn't a native, and even if summer, he/she would die. Oh, the month was now Feb.

I Googled for help, w/o success.
Twice, Slinky escapsed from his box. The first time his/her body was ice cold since he landed on the back door which is glass. The second time Slinky wasn't so lucky.
Talk about feeling bad! Dh and ds were sad, too.

Slinky wasn't around long but we all tried. He/she was the most beautiful and largest butterfly/moth we'd ever seen.

RIP Slinky.

o

I live too far north for these types of visitors, but a few summers ago, had a tiny tree frog spend most of the summer in a 'Fireball' neoregelia's cups that was summering outside. That a temperate climate animal lived for a time in a tropical plant that hosts its tropical relatives was very cool.

o

Asleep,
*gulp* Now I'm afraid as to what left tose droppings!

Planto

o

Toni,
That "pretty bug" with the bee is a Japanese Beetle and should be killed immediately! Seriously, they are an invasive species and will eat anything in their wake, preferring (of course) fruit trees/shrubs and ornamentals. Do not buy traps as this will only attract more to your yard. Mix up a bucket of soapy water and drop those nasty things in it, making sure they get submerged under the soap. Don't empty the bucket for at least 24 hours to make sure that they are dead.
BTW, I think that they are pretty too, but like Blue Jays, they have a bad reputation. :)

Nancy

o

Asleep, that's one problem living north. We don't get to see God's beautiful creatures like those down south or west.

Kate, I didn't your thread..Or Asleeps for that matter.

First, you're adenium is very pretty..love the flower colors.

Wow, anoles jump on you when you're walking? Sounds great to me. lol.
However, the 17-yr-Cicadas are pesty..When they fly on your hair, it feels like a tiny ball hit your head..Cicada's freak me out!

Nancy, really?
I thought Japanese Beetles were ladybugs? lol.

Kill it! That'd be hard since it's so pretty,, but I don't want these guys eating my citrus.
So far, I've seen two..they hang around the Milkweed.
Well, I'll check. If I see more, I'll carry out a soapy bucket of water, and knock inside.. boohoo.
Do they bite?

I forgot this picture.
Don't think this big guy was after my plants, but I'm not sure about Coco. 'dog.' Small dog to boot.

Hawk

Hawk

Soon after I let Coco in the house, this big dude circled the yard, then landed on the fence.
Sorry the pic isn't clear, but I was inside, behind glass.

Hawk

It's hard to tell by the picture, but from head to tail tip, he stood about 3/4 the size of a Macaw.

o

Over the last few years I've had Mr Toad take up residence in my sans........
 photo ToadInSnakeplant.jpg

o

Hi, Toni,
Didn't mean to sound so overzealous, about the bug thing! :)

Yes, they can bite, but I personally have never been bitten. Usually I just stretch whatever branch they're on over the bucket and give a good shake and they fall in. I usually find them mating, which is a bonus for me, as I like to get two for one! ;) They can fly, too, so one or two may escape in the process. The only other really good way to kill them is to step on them, which for me, is possible only if they come over by my patio. The lawn cushions them too much.

Nancy

o

Nance, not to worry. I'd rather know whether or not something is harmful or dangerous.

I Googled Japanese Beetles. Then looked at my photo. Here's the strange part. The bug in my pic looks Nothing like the red bug on the weed.
If I saw the photo without seeing the insect, I'd agree it was a JB. Unless all photos appear different than the bugs looks, something is strange.
I showed dh pics on Google photos and asked his opinion..He agrees..our red bug looks nothing like those on Google. lol.

I ended up walking outside to look for the bug. Now that Milkweed flowers faded away, insects left, too. Don't know where they went, but I seached the entire area. Nothing. Not even a bee.

I remember hearing JB like Roses?? Tomorrow I'll inspect rose bushes.

Thanks for the info..

Elkay, hi! Just noticed your thread. What a cute toad. Aww...'Most' wildlife is beautiful.

o

I got nothing LOL but I did enjoy the froggie the most !!

o

Toni, look up Milkweed Bug AND Milkweed Beetle; two different insects found exclusively on milkweed.

o

Toni, I double checked your photo to see if maybe I saw the beetle and didn't see what you said was a red bug, but all I can see is the beetle and the bee. The beetle is coppery/bronze and green, just to the right of the bee. I posted a link to a close-up picture.
After my last post, I went outside and found a few on my young apple trees and cherry tree. They destroy the leaves leaving only a lacy outline. :(
Here's more info:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/jb/

I love all the photos of the visitors! I can't get anoles or geckos in WI, but what I wouldn't give for a toad! I have had my share of scandalous behavior in the backyard as well, but the squirrels and mourning doves just won't listen to me when I tell them to get a room! :)
Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Beetle

This post was edited by brodyjames on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 1:06

o

Japanese beetles are deadly. their larvae grow under the lawn thatch over winter and are fat and large and white and ugly. they will eat up everything. they denude foliage completely to twigs. they love magnolias, roses, all kinds of gorgeous flowers.
I think now they have spread north. cause I found 2 of them dead on my hi-floor balcony on the Hudson just the last week.

o

Morning All,

Rhizo, that's the bug! How on earth did you find the name?
Thank you...
Now I have to read whether or not Milkweed Beetles are bad or good bugs. :)

One site reads they're orange or orange and red. Our Milkweed Beetle was very red w/some black.
Very pretty considering it's a bug. You know my feelings on insects. Thank you.

Nancy...I know what you mean about the photo..colors look bronze, but believe me, that bug was red..no bronze, copper or green whatsoever.

Rhizo found the correct insect, 'though I have no idea how she found it,' which is the same insect on our Milkweed.

But, I thank you for the warning. Yesterday, after reading your post, I went out to check. Milkweed flowers are goners, as well as the bugs.
Baby Milkweeds are growing, but our temps have been so cool, too cool for Aug, I wonder if they'll reach maturity, and flower.
A bad sign. Milkweed usually live until late Sept. The weathers been autumn-like, so plants are behaving as they do in fall.
Because they're weeds, 'A woman on Flickr ID my weed,' I normally pluck them. They are invasive.
But since these guys weren't plucked this year, they now have seed pods. I've never seen seedpods before. On Milkweed.
Would you believe people buy Milkweed seeds?
Anyway, thanks for your help, and Thank God they're not JB's. Wish they were English Beatles. lol.

Pet, sorry you have JB's..they sound horrible. I recall people saying JB's kill roses.
Do you have roses?
Wonder which other plants they attack? And how they spread to other areas. Long distance.

Thanks everyone..Toni

o

Yes, milkweed (Asclepias) is an important native, the larval host plant for monarch butterflies. I've been looking for some to get for this yard since I've lived here. I see some whenever we go camping, but that's never been at a time when the pods are ripe. When the pod turns brown and develops a crack, the seeds are ripe. Harvesting the pod then, before it opens further, will ensure no new seeds are dropped in your yard, and that rain won't cause them to mold. If you'd like to send me your seeds when they are ripe, I would appreciate it!! Anything I have that you'd like in return is yours! There are many species of Asclepias but I think the kind in your pic would be happy living in AL.

o

I don't have roses on the balcony, but we have lots planted around as landscaping in the nabe. JB usually congregate in large numbers and very easy to see. I actually have not seen them on the roses. I do put indoor systemic on most my balcony plants that go back indoors. I surely hope they did not lay eggs in the soil, i'll have to put systemic on everything just in case.
I remember seeing quite a lot of them in eastern pa - around New Hope a few years back. we used to go berry picking - they just LOVE juicy raspberries and blackberries.

This post was edited by petrushka on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 13:10

o

Purple, after Rhizo's help, I found Milkweed bugs name.
Lygaeus

I read about Monarch's. Another reason to keep this weed..
They attract hummer's, too. You're more likely to see hummers in your location than we are. A welcome weed.

Pods are light green. Do you know how long they take before browning?
Of course you're welcome to seed pods. I'll keep an eye for pods to brown w/a tiny crack.

No need for trade..pods are a gift.

Pet...does the systemic kill JB's and other pests too? Or solely JB's?

Sheesh, JB's sound terrible. Destroy a garden.

You said they're easy to spot. How big do they get?
Another pest to worry over.

Do JB's attack house plants? If so, which types? Tropicals, succulents, both?

o

I've found walking stick insects on my spider plants more than a few times over the years.

photo WalkingStick2.jpg

o

Japanese beetles - they are pretty (?) bugs, but very baaaad...They feed on about 300 (or close to) different plants, including edibles like beans. We don't have predators to get rid of them; traps just attract more beetles if you use them (trap contain pferomone). Female lays eggs in the grass. They usually die after laying eggs several times. Hatched larvae overwinters in the soil (feeds on roots - and racoons love to dig for the larvae so much, they would destroy your lawn). Next year new beetles emerge from the soil and cycle continues.
I just shake them off the plants early in the morning (while they are still 'sleepy') into jar with soapy water as it was mentioned. Look what they did to my wisteria:

Rina

o

Another pretty (?) bug is red lilly beetle, I believe no predator either. Pick them just like the Japanese beetles. I don't think they like as many plants as JB, I find them just on lilies. It does this kind of damage to the lillies:

Rina

o

This is kind of visitor I would like to see anytime - lacewing bug. Not very good photo, it was late at night, he/she came inside:

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 15:01

o

I have lots of milkweed in may garden, really too many. Don't want them, but will not destroy them either because of the Monarch butterflies.
The sap in milkweed leaves is very bitter and poisonous, and protects caterpillars and butterflies from being eaten.
And the hummers love it too, as mentioned before.
Photo is of still green seed pods;

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 15:17

o

OMG, Elkay. I was thinking about Stick bugs? the other day.

Stick and Leaf bugs used to be in Chicago, but that was years ago. I thought they were extinct.

Thanks for the photo.

Anyone hear of Leaf Bugs? They resemble a leaf w/legs.

I used to be afraid of these critters, but think they'd be interesting to see nowadays.

Rina, your poor Wisteria and Lily. That's ashame. Do JB's prevent both from flowering?
Sheesh, they're really destructive!

Sorry about your plants..Your Wisteria looks old.

o

here comes petrushka with systemic ...again?!
hopeful, i don't want to focus on JB , but you keep asking. and here everybody is enjoying their insects and I come with my systemic, just not the right spot...
but this article mentions that merit, which is imidacloprin, seems to be effective. very informative article.
so.please, stop asking ...
http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_japanese_beetles_impression/
and in citrus forum, where I just saw you, poncirus mentioned that JB love 'smart weed' over everything. so that's 'organic way' to keep them off other plants, if it works.
the article mentions that smart weed is one of host plants.
anybody knows what 'smart weed' is?
I assume it's not the weed that makes you smarter:))))
on a positive note, so you folks do not worry over my killing of beneficials, I apply systemic to soil way after it gets cool and most bugs are gone(good or bad).
and finally,
we get these absolutely GIANT dragonflies here - in swarms! they are 6" long! and one got trapped on my balcony between the glass pane - I had to help to push it out with a stake...wow, talk about flying torpedos!

o

Petrushka. Excuse me?

'Here comes Petrushaka with systemic. Again?!'
I have no idea what you're talking about.

I keep asking about JBs? Are you kidding? I only brought up the subject when people described the damage they caused.

I didn't even know what JB's were until someone suggested my insect was a Japanese Beetle.

As for the Citrus Forum. I saw the comment about JB's, but chose to ignore the topic. Instead I complimented people on their citrus.
Go back and reread my post.
I honestly don't know what you're talking about. So you use systemic. Many people use it. I'm not telling you it's bad or not to use it.

One other thing. Please do not tell me what to ask or what not to ask.
This is Purple's thread. If she has a problem with my questions or statements, all she has to do is let me know, and I'll stop asking or making statements.

Have a great night. Toni

o

first of all this is a public thread, it is not a purple thread - she just starts it. I do not have to ask her permission or consent to make my posts and neither do you.
2nd - I was jesting and trying to make a laugh, guess you didn't get it...have to put more smilies next time...
3rd - a few weeks ago or so I was silenced in YOUR thread, when you were having trouble with mealies,etc and I was posting about systemics.
i guess, you did not make a connection, thought you would.

when you say , pet, why or what ? i assume you're asking me for info... so i provide an answer..
and i was feeling obliged to provide an answer out of politeness in a thread ... lovingly talking about insects.. and sidelining the thread. so i was sort of apologetic..
guess... you didn't get that either...
looks like you missed the whole point.
huf-puf, off we go...

This post was edited by petrushka on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 20:23

o

I don't really have many visitors considering most of my plants are indoors. i do however like having the occasional spider around to help protect against pests. Who doesn't like that?!

o

Today I thought about this post and decided to share a visitor! It wasn't to my garden, but at work in the greenhouse. A co-worker and I were watering and cleaning up some of the snake plants and suddenly she screams and throws the plant at me. I thought some sort of spider or other scary insect was on the plant but there on the floor next to the plant was a little tree frog! I said to her, 'you're afraid of a frog?!' A customer had heard her scream and asked if she was ok. I went to try and pick up the frog with a piece of plastic and all of a sudden it jumped on my leg and stuck to me and wouldn't get off and I started to scream! It fell off after a second or two and the customer asked if there were more and said she was getting out of there.

In the end we had a good laugh and we just left the frog alone and it went to sleep back in one of the snake plants.

The frog must have stowed away on one of the plant shipments from Florida. Hopefully he survives!

o

Will, that's a silly funny story, I cracked up! Sure you're not afraid of frogs, but the surprise of it would probably make me scream too. I'm certainly not a 'frog person' (although I think most of them are daggone cute,) but that looks like a Cuban tree frog. Maybe a nearby pet store could take it? Know anyone with a terrarium? I think your visitor wins the "came the farthest" award! There probably aren't any bugs in those Sans!

o

Morning,

Cactus Boss..Who doesn't like spiders? I do not. They scare me to death. :)
You're welcome to every spider that visits my home and garden.

Will, too funny. The poor customer. Think she'll ever return?
Normally, I wouldn't be afraid of a toad or frog, but since I've heard of poison dart frogs, or some such name, I don't know anymore. To be honest, I don't know one frog from another.
Maybe the really colorful frogs are poisonous???

We used to camp. 'Spiders and all, yuck.' Anyway, one weekend was frog mating season. Frogs are amazing. Beautifully colored.
Although a wee scared, I lifted one. I thought he might make a good pet, but after considering, I decided Mr. Frog was looking for a wife...I let him go.

Of course, others didn't think like I did.

We saw two guys in a canoe. There was equipment in the boat, including a large net.
Well, guess what these guys were up to? Stealing frogs to sell..The buyers make frogs legs.
I wanted to swim to the canoe and tip it over. lol

Anyway, your frog is so cute. Frogs here are mostly green, toads are brown.
Do you know the type of frog that hitch-hiked from FL?

Hey Purple. I'll have to look up Cuban Tree Frogs. There's so many types.
One online nursery specializes in frogs, 'poisonous types,' and other small, mostly terrarium animals.
Don't know if I can name the nursery, so I'll let that be.

You said you weren't a frog person. Is there a reason? If you don't mind me asking. Toni

o

I get a lot of colourful visitors.

o

I think they brighten up the place.

o

Love them all.

o

The spider is a gasteracantha or spiny orb weaver.

Froggy is likely pseudacris crucifer aka spring peeper. :)

o

Toni, I just meant that I don't know their names, but do occasionally browse "name this animal" on the nature side of GW. No idea if my ID of "Cuban tree frog" is correct or not, just a suggestion since the plants came from FL. Any frog or toad is welcome here! I don't think any of the indigenous species are dangerous to people.

Cool pics, Trop!

o

Absolutely correct Purp.

Just so you guys know...
The colorful frogs sold as pets are poison dart frogs and they are harmless because they are farmed in captivity and fed a diet that lacks the poisonous bugs that they get their toxin from.

Tropic,
that snake looks like a constrictor of some kind...it's a visitor or a pet?
biological pollutant?

o

Asleep,
The spider is Gasteracantha westringi, Rainbow Spiny Orb Weaver. I have a lot of these around the garden, they build solitary webs. Another similar looking one called a Jewel Spider builds community webs which are massive and untidy. Luckily I don't have those.

The frog is Litoria rubella, Desert Tree Frog. They range right down into the interior arid country, hence their common name from where they were first described. The ones here are a little different to the desert ones and there's talk of ours being renamed a new species.

The snake is Morelia spilota variegata, Darwin Carpet Python, and I have lots on my place. They're not shy. I have a water tub as a bird bath next to the verandah. The past few nights one of the pythons has taken to sitting (? laying?) on the edge of it. I come by, talk to it, take photos, and it just ignores me. But they're always hanging around in or near the house somewhere.

All these are natives. I've got hundreds of photos of much of the wildlife on my place, and continually adding more to the collection.

o

Thank you for the corrections Tropic!
Learning new stuff is great! :)

So if all these critters are natives then I can assume that you are in australia and in that case then you have some of the most incredible wildlife in the world(as already evidenced!). I'm sure Purp would agree with me in encouraging you to please share more of these. :)

o

Thanks Asleep. If I started putting up my wildlife photos just from my place I'd be here til Christmas, LOL. I've been thinking I need to find some sort of site where I could set the photos up and then direct people to them. Better than posting the odd one here and there and anywhere.

Have plenty of these at my place. A number of them sleep in my shed all day. Not really worried by my comings and goings.

o

Beautiful!

Definitely marsupial.

Opossum?

o

That's a brushtailed possum....really cute to us but probably considered a pest to most Australians.

o

That possum reminds me of my cat. Big eyed and bushy tailed! I've never seen a possum, but I want one! As long as they aren't like raccoons....

o

Tropic, Australia has the most colorful wildlife.
Even your spider is pretty.
Wonder if a colorful spider would have me running and screaming for my life.
I like the snake, too. He's cute, for a snake.

Your possum, is so much prettier than our opossums.
The furry tail makes a difference.
Although possums/opossums aren't rodents, American opossums resemble, big rats.

Last year, the largest opposum we'd ever seen hung around our yard..okay, we fed the guy. Next came the wife..soon there were children.
But, as is written, opposums move on, and our little family relocated to a different area. We actually miss them. lol.

This guy had to weight 25lbs. His head was larger than a mid-size dog..all muscle.

Possum

Possum

The photos doesn't do this guy justice..he was huge, which is what attracted us to him.

Most people don't realize how caring they are to their children.
When we'd place a dish of 'home-made' food outside, mom ate a section, leaving a large portion for her children. Each baby ate a little, leaving enough for the younger to youngest baby. After the children were fed, mom came back and ate the remainer. It was amazing to watch.
Don't know where pop went. Maybe to find another wife?

The male was not a threat. After a few days, I'd walk outside with food, while he stood less than a foot away. I'd place the food close to my feet, he'd approach and munch away.
Other times I'd sit on a chair, place the paper plate beside my chair, and wait until he appeared.

I love everyone's wildlife. They're fascinating.
Anyone have a 'hummer' photo?

o

Visiting the tomato plants, but this hornworm's life won't be very long...

o

The animal in the photo is a Northern Brushtail Possum, Trichosurus arnhemensis. A lot of people in the US don't realise that what they have is Opossums and not Possums, which are an unrelated animal. Possums (of which there are quite a lot of species) only naturally occur in Australia, New Guinea and Part of Indonesia. The Common Brushtail Possum, Trichosurus vulpecula, was introduced into New Zealand in the 1800's with disasterous results.

Possums give cats a real hard time, most cats are terrified of them, so some people with cats don't like them. They will also make a home in the roof of a house, which annoys some. Many people feed them. I leave out kitchen scraps which they'll usually eat. Not that they need encouragement to hang around.

This is mum and bub making their way home (in my shed) after all night out in the garden.

o

Ooh we need some of those possums! I'm sooooo sick of the feral cats around here. Last week I heard this incessant crying noise and couldn't tell if it was a squirrel or a kitty, finally tracked it down and it was a kitty. Looks exactly like the cats the guy 2 doors down brought when he moved in and has been feeding on his front porch while letting them run wild. I took it over there and made him take it ("here, look at your kitty!") and told him he can't have pets he doesn't care for and look how sorry this kitty is - all ate up with fleas and who-knows-what-else. Extremely sad and disgusting, and dangerous to the 'real' pets around - although anyone who lets their pet wander around is part of the problem, and that's not a real pet. Made me want to cry, that kitty looked so sick, I don't know if it can be helped. I'm so sick of stepping in cat poo in my front yard, hair all over the porch furniture, and I've seen sooo many fewer anoles this summer. This one crazy-stupid cat keeps getting inside our fenced back yard, then can't figure out how to get out. The last time I was trying to chase it toward the gate I'd opened and it ran straight into the fence and bounced back. The next step, I fear, is snakes showing up if something isn't done about these cats. The city said all of the cat traps are busy, they'll bring some around when they can - that was in April. If anyone wants a cat, please come to Opp AL and grab a few - they're everywhere!! Sorry about the rant...

o

While looking for that cat pic, I remembered this web almost dripping with dew from a morning a few weeks ago. I don't usually go out there at that time but could see this web out the back window. The sprig of foliage along the pole is the stupid Bougainvillea folks may have heard me kvetching about. Haven't seen a bloom since I planted it there in 2010. Behind is Lantana camara, hummingbird grand central station. Behind that is the abandoned yard I've also kvetched about. See the steam in the air? That's 7 AM in south AL for ya - Yay, 86 degrees, 99% humidity! So much that it blocks the sunrise a lot of mornings.

o

I had rabbits under the juniper but it would seem they've moved on.

Purp,..when I first looked at your 13 at 8:02 post I saw the pic before actually reading,and my first thought was that anoles suffer huge when cats are around. Cats are fine indoors but outdoor cats do way too much damage to native species. Sometimes I wish people would assume some responsibility.

...And I totally relate to your kvetching.

o

I can finally contribute to this, this made my day. Marmot helping me get rid of the nightmare known as mulberry :)
101_2409

We had a staring contest.lol
101_2408

101_2412

Guess he got enough pictures for today....
101_2414

Edit; Called this a hedgehog.lol....thx asleep

This post was edited by Auron22 on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 16:55

o

Morning,

Rina...OMG...another creature I haven't seen in years..as in pre-teen years.

Growing up in Chicago, you'd think there wouldn't have been as many insects as there are in woodier or suburban areas.
I remember first seeing, what we called Tomato Worms. Our neighbor had a small, veggie garden, so it's possible worms came from her garden.
The question is, where do they originate? How do they find tomato gardens?
First Elkays Stick Bug, now your Horn Worm.
I'd like to see a Leaf Bug, too. BRings back memories.
Thanks for posting..you too Elkay.

Rina, I just noticed. Are the white things, eggs?

Tropic, are the possums the same type as the hanging possum? They look different..Could be the photo.

Does bub mean baby?

AWW, look how cute they are..Cuddling. 'I wuv you, mum.'
Tropic, sounds like you appreciate possums/oppums as much as I..
Last year I started an opposum thread...many were against me feeding. lol.

I guess some are repulsed..same way I feel about spiders. :)

I make an Italian dish... spaghetti, garlic and butter. One day there were leftovers. Not enough to feed 3 people, so I made a paper plated with remaining spaghetti, placed outside the glass door and waited.
You should have seen mom munch down the spaghetti. I believe it was her favorite meal. lol.

Purple, how depressing.
When we lived in Chicago, hundreds of strays wandered the alleys looking for food. Rats!
People are sick a$$hxxx. It's not a cats fault. People buy/adopt cats, then don't take care.
I feel terrible about that poor cat..Fleas!
Did the neighbor admit the cat was his?
If so, you should contact an agency that takes sick cats and dogs. They might even take the neighbor to court..the judge can ban your neighbor from owning more pets.

I love animals so feel terrible saying this. When an animal is sick to the point he/she is loaded w/fleas and so thin, its ribs are sticking out from starvation, if he/she isn't treated, the best thing is euthanization. Believe me, it hurts admitting my feelings.
I can't even watch Animal Planet. Too darn sad.

Purp, opposums are non-agressive. Only if they feel threatened they growl, show their teeth, then play, well possum.
I doubt they'd bother a cat. However, a cat might fear a possum, take off running.

Oh Lord, that web is gigantic! Wonder what the Fam looks like.

We all kvetch one time or another.

I wish, unless a cat or dog was 'used' for breeding purposes, 'do we need more pets?' spaying/neutering was mandatory.
It's too bad vets charge a small fortune these days.
If one doesn't believe or can't afford shots/new meds vets deem necessary, the vet/asst makes people feel guilty.

If prices dropped a bit, it's possible more people would have their cats and dogs neutered/spayed.

When we adopted Halloween, 1989, one vet charged 350.00 for a simple neutering. Price didn't include shots.
The receptionish I talked to said, you first bring your kitten in for pre-op testing, then come back for surgery, last trip, post-surgery.
My mouth dropped once she gave me the price. I said, I'll call you back...no intention whatsoever. She was very rude. She said I must not love my kitten. I called her a witch w/a b, then hung up.

I assisted neutering cats and dogs. Neutering takes less than 10-minutes. Sedating to stitching. My old boss/vet charged 45.00 to neuter cats and dogs. Spaying was more, but surgery is somewhat complicated.

o

AWESOME pics Auron!

Sure that isn't a marmot though?

o

I corrected it, I feel silly calling that a hedgehog.rofl....I blame the Percocet. Hate that stuff.

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 17:02

This may be a tobacco hornworm (it has red 'horn' rather than black-which would be tomato hornworm-they both feed on same plants). Hatches from eggs laid by sphinx moth. The white 'things' are actually cocoons of parasitic braconid wasp; these wasp lay eggs inside of the worm, larvae feeds on 'insides' of the worm. So this is natural /biological worm control...Great to see the white cocoons - more beneficial wasps to hatch!
Rina

o

It's always great to see people encouraging wildlife around their homes. As a major vector of change on the planet we have a responsibility to minimise impact on others that share the planet with us and to accomodate them.

Toni, the possums are the same. The mother one has mange, a common problem amongst them which they've picked up from living around domesticated animals. I've caught them before and taken them to a vet. I'd like to be able to get something I could slip into some food that would cure them.

This is a Frill-necked Lizard, Chlamydosaurus kingii, It's about a metre long, nose to tip of tail.

o

They run around on their 2 back legs, looks funny. They're the only bipedal reptile. When alarmed they'll take to trees. Both these were at my place but they also get them in towns, so they can still cope with some development.

o

THAT would be SUCH an honored guest in my yard!

Good lord I'm so jealous I'ts like you have a nature reserve right outside your door! lol

o

Tropic..
Really? Possums get mange because they live near domesticated animals. I thought the opposite. Assumed pets get mange from possums/wildlife after rolling on grass, etc.

Poor mamma possum. That's sad. You're too kind. Very few people bother with wildlife. Heck, many neglect their own pets.
One a## set out traps. Thankfully, someone reported this jerk..It wasn't reported how many small dogs, cats and wildlife he killed.

Ironically, we set out foods, grow certain plants to encourage wildlife. Most people around our area go out of their way to keep 'pests' out of their precious yards.
Birds and squirrels love peanut butter on bread in winter. Helps maintain fat.
One con setting out food..Attracts unwanted rodents.
Tropic, as much as I adore nature, rats/mice are not my forte. :)

Your Fill-necked lizard is AMAZING. I want a 3' lizard running 'like man' in my yard. lol.
Must be exciting to watch.

Do their necks protrude when frightened or as a scare tactic?

Wish we had half the wildlife you do. lol.

o

Asleep, that's one of the reasons I picked my place. I need to be amongst wildlife/nature (even though my garden isn't 'native'). Funny little story: not long back I got up early in the morning (as I usually do) and went out into the garden to do what a man must do first thing in the morning. Almost stepped on a snake. Usually this species is asleep before sun up. Anyway, went into the carport and there was this other snake, different species, but also a nocturnal one. The sun was just starting to come up. Stepped out of the carport and was almost run over by a wallaby bounding past flat out. Before I could step back this dingo was racing up hot on its tail. The dingo suddenly saw me and veered off and disappeared into my swamp (now dry because of our dry season). I just thought to myself, "David Attenborough, eat your heart out", LOL.

Toni, mange is an out of control infestation of mites. Dogs and cats normally have them but sometimes, especially if the animals immune system is down, they get out of control. Possums didn't have them naturally, but are susceptible to them and have picked them up. I suppose now it's a moot point as to who is giving the mange to whom.

The frill is used as a bluff by the lizards. The frill makes them look about 10 times their actual size. So a predator that sees what looks like a nice mouth sized morsel of food is suddenly confronted with something 10 times bigger it may hesitate. That hesitation could be enough for the lizard to make its escape.

Here's one for you Toni, who couldn't love something as cute as this. Pseudomys delicatulus, Delicate Mouse. They're a native, unlike the introduced House Mouse, Mus musculus.

o

Awww that is cute! This poor toad was trying to not drown, hopping upstream through the yard (what a wrong thing to be able to say!) It's been raining non-stop since Fri. evening - again.

o

Morning All,

Tropic. You managed to find the perfect home & gardens.
By chance, did you look at other houses before selecting your current residence?

What a man does in the morning. lol.

The morning you encountered two snakes, a wallaby and dingo was probably a normal day for you. :)

Purple, if you're reading this/Excuse me Tropic.
Purp, what's this from? 'The dingo ate your baby!' :)

Tropic. Speaking of Attenborough, does he live in England or Australia? You should invite him over, for a spot of tea. He'd love your photos.

Mange are multiple mites? Would you happen to know the type of mite? Oh Gross!
Wonder if mites originate in dirt?
Contemplating who is giving the mange to whom is comparable to the chicken and egg.

Poor lizards probably huff frills several times a day. Lots of hungry wildlife in the world.

Okay, why is it our mice look nothing like yours? :)
Do they have thin, basically hairless tails?

What do you mean, introduced house mouse?

We see quite a few field mice, 'beady eyes, skinny tails,' since we're near a wooded area, and two bodies of water.
The've destroyed our aluminum-sided/wooded house by eating their way inside..Usually, late autumn.

Other than the Delicate Mouse, are there other types?

Silly, fearing somethin 400 times smaller than onself. lol.

Okay, I admiit, the Delicate Mouse is adorable. If one got in our house, I wouldn't run the opposite direction, screaming, like I do with the type of mice we have.

Oh Purple. How much rain has accumulated? That poor toad? Can you bring him/her indoors until the rain stops?

Wish I'd have taken a pic..
Last night, I walked in the kitchen to get a glass of water. On the way back to the first room I spotted a 4-5-inch, green insect sitting on the wall.

I don't know if it was a large grasshopper or one of our mantis, but the poor guy/gal was missing a leg.

Dh attempted to move the insect with a broom handle, but the insect 'flew/glided' to another spot. This happened 3-4 times. Dh is a Bozo!
I do not fear grasshoppers or mantis, but its size was a liittle scary. However, it it landed on me I wouldn't have been afraid.

I grabbed the fly-swatter, and carefully lured this green insect to step on the flat part. He/she did. I brought him/her outside, planning on setting it on one of my citrus, but it flew/glided in the gangway.

Dh said it was a grasshopper. I couldn't tell the difference.
Can grasshoppers fly, have wings? What about Praying Mantis?

Wonder if their legs grow back..I hope so.

This 'bugged' me. Perhaps I should have kept him/her in a small aquarium? Waiting for a leg to form.
Problem, I wouldn't know what to feed it.

Anyone think it has a better chance outside, or should I have kept iuntil it healed? Toni

o

Thanks,

We've moved here Sept 1988.

Before Purple started this thread, I never heard of Japanese beetles.
I honestly thought JB's were ladybugs.

When JB's were mentioned, I studied photos of these destructive insects.

Yesterdy, while repotting outside, a semi-large, flying insect landed a few feet from my feet.

I studied the insect and discovered it was a Japanese Beetle. Yet, I couldn't kill it.

Do JB's fly? How are they murdered? :)
Do people squash them? Yuck.

I placed a plastic pot over the insect, ran in the house to collect the camera. By the time I stepped outside, approached, 'what I thought was a trapped JB,' discovered he/she was gone. He/she either crawled under the upturned pot or escaped through drainage holes.

Now what? Does seeing one mean there are more?
Which plants do I inspect or any other location, JB's can be found?

Thanks, Toni

o

Most adult insects fly, Toni. If the wings aren't obvious to you, then they are hidden under wing coverings of some sort. I'm sure that you've seen ladybugs fly. Your praying mantids have flying wings once they reach their adult stage.

JBs feed on the leaves of a wide variety of plants. They do have favorites, though. The damage is quite unique.....they skeletonize the leaves, eating the soft parts and leaving all of the veins in tact. They can be found by the hundreds on a plant.

Insect pests can be tossed into a container of soapy water. The soap makes them sink like a stone rather than floating on top.

o

Hello Everyone!!!

I have a few... Some are munchers.. Some pollinators and some are protectors... Lol... All of them are on my Plumeria and one Adenium.

Thanks for all of the wonderful pics.. I have really enjoyed this thread!!!

Munchers...

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Pollinators ...

Protectors..

Waiting for a tasty treat... Lol

Have a great night!!!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 1:10

o

Morning All,

Laura, WOW! I especially like the brown, furry gal wearing a Plumeria flower. :)

Oh Yes, I've purchased ladybugs by the hundreds. Thankfully, I do not fear ladies. Once they arrived in the mail, I opened the burlap bag..each crawled on my hands, then flew away.

I also purchased Praying Mantis cases..babies hatched..I saw one semi-adult out front..but they're difficult locating.

I love your wildlife..Never saw moths? like those in your garden.

What are the insects in pics 5 and 10? Quite unusual.

So, certain moths? pollinate? I didn't know moths pollinated anything.
Years ago, people set moth balls in closets to keep moths away..guess they ate clothe.

Your moths are so much prettier than ours. lol.

I think the insect in pic 1 is a grasshopper? Did he/she nibble your Plumeria leaf?

Love your Mantis, Laura. They're really unusual, likable insects. Some people keep mantis as pets but I think they prefer the great outdoors.

Thanks for the pics. Toni

o

Laura has shown us pictures of the Silver Spotted Skipper, and the Pandorus Sphinx Moth. You will have both of those in your area, Tony. Any moth or butterfly that feeds on nectar rich flowers would be considered an accidental pollinator. Moths do their feeding at night, which might be why you didn't realize that.

The other insect (#10) is a dragonfly.

o

No visitors today just the flower on it's spike and it's accented leaves
plant family and type Not a clue

o

That's Iris domestica (Belamcanda chinensis) ....blackberry lily, candy lily, leopard lily. Not a lily as the common names would suggest, but a type of iris.

o

Bummer I was trying to pas it off as ginger to a neighbor yet they still think it is LOL

o

Hi Everyone!!!

Thanks Toni!!

Rhizo has them named correctly!!! Thanks Rhizo!!!

The Sphinx moths really do their magic at night with my Adeniums and Plumeria at night... I seem to have seed pods all season thanks to them and maybe some other little helpers too!

Toni... That grasshopper has been coming around with his brothers and sisters enjoying my trees... YES.. See the leaf that they devoured? Drives me nuts to see half of a huge leaf gone overnight...

Just found another huge grasshopper munching away on my leaves!!! They seem to think I'm supplying them with fresh salads daily... I guess I will have to move them to the end of the street!! Lol... ( grasshoppers ). I don't like to kill them, but if I move them away from my house ... It Seems like they always find their way back to my backyard!!!

Toni.. That is my daughters Dachshund visiting during the summer!!! I'm not sure she likes to show off the blooms of my Plumeria, but she was a good sport...

The frogs are to funny as well as the other protectors. Always waiting for a meal. I love the pic of the frog in my container. I took that pic at night and he was so intent on watching for a bug to eat, he didn't even move when I came close to him!! He stayed around for a few weeks, then left. I think the Osprey around here decided he looked good too! I hope he really decided to just find another garden to protect tho!!!

Great thread and awesome pictures!!!

I love the Leopard Lilly.. Gorgeous!!!

Take care,

Laura

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 20:59

...and here are seeds of Belamcanda...it will easily self-sow in your garden

o

Getting closer to getting a pic of a hummer with its' beak down in the Canna flower. Came close yesterday evening...

o

I Too love this topic... everyone's pictures are GREAT.
Tropicbreezent, you must live near heaven! lol

I have a friend visiting today on the porch.

o

Toni,

If you have ever had a Hoya Seed pod, you may have been visited by a moth. In the Hoya Forum I have seen where people have taken pictures of the moth "working".
if you search there for moth, I believe "pepeuve" even has
a picture of a sphinx moth. I would link that but I have NO CLUE how to do that!

Teisa

This post was edited by teisa on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 22:18

o

Here is a link to the Sphinx Moths..

Hope it works...

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Sphinx moths

o

I found this on one of my containers today.. Nasty looking critter...

Looks like an armored tank with weapons...

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 0:57

o

Wow Laura,..that critter is so pretty(at least to me).

It's a saddleback caterpillar...

...stings are nasty indeed from what I've read so far.

o

Hi A sleep...

I was just talking with my best friend and it was confirmed about its name..

Yikes!! Glad I figured out that it looked like a dangerous beauty.. I didn't touch it though.

I also looked it up and you are right.. Nasty sting, bad reactions to this beautiful creature..

Thanks for checking for me...

I used a stick to remove this one... BYE BYE!!!! ;-)

mahalo!!

Laura

o

A lot of things on this thread make it okay to be intimate with plants .
Fast as some may be a few pest visitors haven't even gotten here as of yet... I do hope they hurry as the the sun is slowly sinking I can only wait for my next intimate plant encounter.

o

I've been stung by a Saddleback caterpillar. I'll swear to the fact that it is unbelievably painful for a very long time. I thought that I had been shot! I was operating operating a wholesale nursery at the time, and these things showed up suddenly causing my employees to practically threaten to quit.

These wicked insects hang out on the underside of the leaves, making their detection difficult. We found them on a wide range of plants.

I had to close the nursery for three days in order to treat all of the plants. I even called my customers! A caterpillar, for cryin ' out loud!

o

Hi Rhizo...

Sounds awful. I tell you , I was so close to touching it because I just didn't see it. When I was about two inches with my hand, I pulled back and looked at this strange creature. My first instinct was to not even touch it.

Now.. Hearing your story, I am , so glad I followed my gut instinct .

How long did it take before you felt better?

Thanks .. I will always look for this nasty critter.. First time I have seen one in my garden.

Take care,

Laura

o

I too was stung by One once. My Grandmother always called them "pack saddles". I guess because that's what old farmers thought they looked like they were carrying. I think I was about 10! I still remember 30 years later, it hurt like h-e-l-l!!! Felt like a bad burn/sting for hours!

o

Another visitor, just very common bunny...not visiting potted plants yet, hopefully won't ever :-)

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 9:34

o

Watering Mom's plants yesterday I saw a 5-lined skink.

o

And this guy - praying mantis - stalking something on the Salvia farinacea.

o

I was away for 5 days bushwalking (hiking) and getting back a lot of my garden was chewed down by wallabies and Jungle Fowl had dug a lot up. At least these fellows are far more garden-friendly. Darwin Carpet Python, Morelia spilota variegata.

o

Cute little tree frog!

o

Trying to blend in....

Laura

o

You guys have some, ahem, interesting insects.
Laura, that bug looks like an alien..lol.

As for moths...there's a zillions moths around, but none that fit the picture posted. We have boring color moths. lol.

Guess bug types go with climates.

Yesterday, while sitting in the back yard, along came a hummer.
He/she was beautiful.
Normally, we see, I think they're called Ruby Throats.
The hummer that visited my plants was a little larger than Ruby and had neon green striping on either side of its body.
I hope it comes back tonight. I'll be prepared w/camera.
The little guy/girl didn't fear me. He/she fluttered less than 2' away.

It was dinner time for outdoor birds. They were waiting for me to go in the house to eat from our feeder.
Suddenly, a herd of birds flew out of the neighbors' bush, and frightened hummer away. I watched as he/she flew over the house. Up, up and away!

Your Praying Mantis are wonderful. Wonder if my gals and guys moved on or in hiding.

Laura, those darn crickets. :)
I love hearing their crickety chirping at night when in bed, but they too are destructive. Your poor Plumarias.

o

Well technically it was my decision to start parking my collection under the maple in the spring of 2010 when I first moved in,but she was here first. This dove has been nesting over,and watching my plants all summer so I just assume she's the same one.

Here she is with a couple of her chicks...

o

Another shot...

o

A better look at the chicks...took this one today...mom must be off getting a bite.

o

This tiny spider under my plant stand pales in comparison with all the above pictures, but hey I am in New York City - not a lot of frogs and snakes and lizards and such here.

In my pre-house-plants days I would have let it go out the window, but now I am letting these live here in the hope that they would hunt an occasional house plant pest.

o

I'm pretty sure this little guy or gal I found the other day had just hatched. Its' movements were a little jerky, and as you can see, it's covered with sand and grit. So tiny and cute - my hands are really small for an adult woman. I put it back where I found it after taking its' pic.

I'd bet the farm it hatched right in the pot where I found it, an example of why I don't use chemicals on house plants. The 'wild pets' are more important to me, and I've put these potted mini-environments out there, basically in their home, which many now use AS their home. If there are no 'good guy' critters in one's area that would be likely to inhabit a pot, or use one for laying eggs, it wouldn't be a concern.

o

That's awesome Purp!

I can vouch for anoles' use of pots for a hatchery,..I found a pair of youngsters nearby the plants after the move to minnesota...pretty sure they hatched up here after being shanghaied.

Juvenile anoles are just about the cutest things there are. I so miss the south.

o

• Posted by cghpnd 7 / N.Virginia (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 21:15

You all have wonderful pics. I love all of your visitors! I hope to have some of those cool guys in my garden one day.

heres a few of my recent visitors

photo 2013-07-29160338.jpg

photo 2013-07-29160143.jpg

photo 2013-07-21102459.jpg

photo SAM_0165.jpg

photo SAM_0124.jpg

o

Honey bee on a creasted cacti.

This post was edited by Bpotsrsmalldish on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 9:25

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 16:58

photo bigbug_zps96d8c3ed.jpg
 photo mouseonbloom_zps75517df7.jpg

I know Dori knows what visited this plant. Anyone else know?
 photo GardenAug1035.jpg

Al

o

• Posted by cghpnd 7 / N.Virginia (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 20:04

oh my lol, that second pic is so cute!

that last pic, I had the same thing on one of my plants and I was told it was a lacewing.

o

Yes, lacewing eggs. One of the good guys, a predator of plant pest bugs.

This little bird visits the potted plants looking for bugs. Guess the top of the porch post is a good place to sit...

o

Hello Everyone!!!

Have you all noticed how some pictures that are not your own appearing in your posts? Two of my post have had others pictures in mine .

My post about the saddleback cattipillar had a bullfrog posted and my pic was gone?

Then in another post of mine, there is someones beautiful orange flower saying how it blends in .. Huh?

Wonder what is going on?

I went into the edit and removed the other pic, but left the other to see if the bugs get worked out or fixed!! lol. No pun I tended!!!!

Take care,

Great pics, Al.. You must have been sitting there for a long time waiting for that cute little mouse to smile!! ;-)

Laura

o

Found this oh-so-tiny-and-cute little frog outside a couple hours ago. My finger is closer to the camera, so not doing the job of providing scale that well, but he kept jumping when I tried to reach any closer. He/she's only about as big as the tip of my index finger.

o

Al, that's some Mantis! Beautiful.
Chipmonk? is adorable. lol

Purple, your frog is cute..I'm surprised he/she didn't leap with your finger so near. AWWW!

Can't recall if I posted this guy/gal in our yard. He/She doesn't look big, but once he/she flew off the fence, his/her wing span looked about 4'.

Hawk

Hawk

This guy was in our tree, too

Iguana

Iggy

o

Toni, I believe that's this discussion's first iguana (if I'm correct about calling it that.) Did you find its' owner? I don't think those can take freezing temps, that's got to be an escaped pet (or somebody got mad at it and let it out to fend for itself until it froze to death, cruel if so.)

But speaking of iguanas, OMG, u have to read Chomp by Carl Hiaasen. "Mickey is the best animal wrangler in Florida...or he was until he got hit on the head by a frozen iguana. ... Mickey Cray had been out of work ever since a dead iguana fell from a palm tree and hit him on the head." I think that's a direct quote from the beginning of the book.

o

Purple, You sure know reptiles.

I'm kidding..The iguana is Michaels..My ds. lol

Yes, he gets cold in my bedroom..he sits on plant shelves during summer, and gonna hate it once I finish washing bedroom walls and plants go on the shelves.

Iguana

Appropirate for Halloween...Pic taken Oct 31 2009

Iguana

Iggy's Halloween costume, 10/31/09 Man, he's grown!

Iguana

Purp, if I found an iguana in the yard, don't know what I'd do...
Remember I found the injured bird a while back? All it took was browsing the 'puter, finding a local place.

There's a lost calico cat...sure enough, Michael and I saw saw him a few days ago..as soon as I walked outside he ran in the neighbors' yard.
There's a 150.00 reward, but I wouldn't take the money..Since the owners are offering such a huge reward you know they miss their cat. I'd be happy to oblige.
There was a picture of calico at the vet. The cat we saw was identical..poor little guy..he's lost so much weight.

Sheesh, I feel like crying thinking about him.

Chomp? I'll check it out on Amazon. I've got a few items in my cart but not enough to equal 25.00 for free shipping. While there, I'll take a peek.
I'm also interested in the mystery plant book...Gotta check both.

o

Oh, LOL! That's cool, thanks for the fun!! I think you would crack up reading that Hiassen book, I sure did! The other one was more interesting than a few hours of TV, for sure.

Hope that cat gets back home OK.

o

Purple, before I forget..did you ever get the Milkweed seeds?
I recall someone offering you seeds. I asked in 'some?' thread, but don't think you replied.

I'm taking a break..Had to clean up a mess dh made last night...my poor Anthurium...

Yeah, that's Iggy, Michael's pet. lol

I pray they get their cat back, too..he's way too hyper/scared to come by strangers.

I'l check Amazon a little later.

Which book did you like better?

o

I actually found some milkweed seeds on the side of the road a couple weeks ago. And got some as part of a trade. Hopefully I'll get some plants from these. Thanks again for your kind offer, sorry I didn't get back to you. If nobody else wants them for their garden, I'd 'release' them in the wild along a dirt road.

I'd say I liked the Hiassen book better for being amusing, and amusing me for a much longer time, it's a longer book. Hiassen always cracks me up but this (Chomp) is an especially good one. Non plant-people probably would find the other one too silly/fluffy but I enjoyed it & think you would too.

Laura, forgot to say above, I haven't seen the strange picture thing you described. Was it just the one time?

Looks like I never put a pic of this a couple weeks ago. I think this anole is munching on a green lacewing bug. One good guy eating another, hmmm.... we need to have a discussion about teamwork here! LOL!

o

Morning,

Purple, okay. I kept my eyes on Milkweed pods to make sure they didn't freeze.
Still wasn't sure if they ripened or not.. Oh well, there's always next year..hopefully

Last week I sent a friend part of my Clivia and Sans Whitney, so had to go to the PO. Since I was going, I tried getting in touch with you about the seed pods.
Anyway, glad you got the pods.
Are they the same type as mine??

Did you expand the photo?
Looks like an anole eating another anole..lol..If it's a lace wing, it sure looks big..I thought they were small?
Maybe I've never seen lace wing...

o

I'm not sure that's what that bug was or not, just that the wings were green and lacy. The anole ran around with it for a few minutes before getting it down. Maybe someone else will know. Google has tons of images of lacewings, but none that show their rear-end and in some of the pics, it looks like there's 2 sets of wings on this anoles' "dinner."

Thanks for thinking about me! Wonder why I didn't get your message about the MW pods? Somebody around here might want them. There's a forum dedicated to just MW plants now, though I thought the subject was well covered and should remain under the umbrella of the butterfly forum. Discussing one usually includes discussing the other. If there are no takers, you could scatter them somewhere unlikely to be mowed.

Without seeing the flowers on the plants I collected seeds from, it would be impossible to say if the seeds I collected are from the same type as your plant. I've never read anything that said monarch caterpillars care which though. One kind should be enough, whichever it is.

Here's another pic of the anole eating the green bug, whatever lacy-wing thing it is.

o

Hi gang...dropping back in for a second or two(been a tad busy lately,sorry)!

Purp,
The end of the bug's abdomen looks more like that of a katydid than a grasshopper...which would have been my next guess seeing those jumping legs sticking out the sides of your buddy's mouth there. Not sure if you saw the bug before it was caught but an image search might help if you stick to it long enough...many of the images there are of the more exotic varieties and won't look near so much like what's left of the one in your pic.

Hope your anthurium is okay Toni!

Please tell me it was salvageable!

o

Purple...question.

I'm on Amazon...What's the name of the mystery book? Thanks

o

I didn't see the updates to this originally for some reason. TY, Asleep. I didn't think green lacewing was quite right, but the wings were green & lacy...!

Toni, sorry, if you're still looking, email me. Not sure what you were asking at the time, but sure we can figure it out!

I don't know how long this guy has been living in the house. This particular plant was repotted couple days ago, but was then placed next to plants that have been inside for a few weeks. Usually I'd put him outside, but it's supposed to be so cold for a few days. If he can catch flies, he should be OK in here until it warms back up, but then will I know where he is? IDK... I carried a few plants in/out today (68 degrees) & that's all it took for flies to come in. Sheesh! I got a mosquito bite today & it's supposed to be 23 here tomorrow night. Best of both worlds right?!

So so so very cute!

o

Only too happy to be of help to ya Purp! My pleasure! :)

Your little friend there looks to be a "green tree frog" aka hyla cinerea and yep...they're adorable alright!

Here is a link that might be useful: neat video of Purp's visitor

o

The most exciting thing that ever came in my garden was a family of Grey partridges.....
Used to come by every year but didnt see them last year

o

Found this guy last night. Windows were open yesterday, (then it frosted last nite, weird!) so IDK if he/she just came in, or decided to come in some time before that. So cute, about an inch from nose to rump! I guess he's a toad, but IDK what kind.

o

Hyla versicolor. :)

o

Haven't even set up shop yet and I find this turf is already patrolled by a mammal.

Lordy,..
I sure hope he stays offa my elephant ear type stuff. I'm gonna have to look into that.

But ain't he cute? :)

o

Seeing all these critters is very foreign and exciting for us concrete jungle apartment dwellers. I've posted a picture of a tiny spider before, and today when misting my plant stand, I've noticed a lady bug. Stopped me dead in my tracks because (1) no idea how it got here with insect screens on the windows (hitched a ride on me, most likely), and (2) I did not want to scare it away from my plant stand because they feed on harmful pests, I understand. There are none I can see, but it will see things I don't necessarily, so feast away, my spotted ally!

o

LOL! "My spotted ally." Yesterday I saw a juvenile on potted plants in the yard (no idea what kind.) If I had any idea where our camera was at the moment (moved this past weekend,) I'd have taken a pic. First one of the year. I felt the same way. Snack up! I think yours is a Japanese one, looks like the one in2nd row down, middle left.

TY for toad ID, Asleep - and heck yeah! That chippie is adorable - I love those! Used to see them daily in OH, but haven't seen one here except in the woods in a nearby park. Mom says she sees one in her yard occasionally. I'm guessing they're probably too afraid of a great Dane to come around our yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here