Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush Question

Posted by christine1950 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 11:36

I spotted this in the woods behind my apartment this morning and it looks like a China Doll to me, is that possible in NY?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush Question

No, it's not possible. Could be amur honeysuckle or Callicarpa.

o

Thanks purple, what a shame its back in the woods, I like its bushy growth.

o

Do you have ground space for such plants? The honeysuckle is a just a giant weed, but Callicarpa (beauty berry) is a lovely native that makes beautiful purple berries, not hard to find where they sell shrubs/trees.

A China doll tree shouldn't be hard to find. If you have a store nearby that sells EA plants, they've been available often when I visit WM. Just wish I could understand the scheduling, when they get new plants in (and, of course, that there was somewhere else to shop for plants.)

o

Thanks purple but I live in an apartment complex so it wouldnt be possible. I just have to keep all my plants in containers on a small balcony.

o

Well that keeps things from getting out of hand, ...doesn't it? A lot of days I wish plants were not outside, or up high on a balcony. So many mosquitoes out there. Do you still get bit on your balcony?

Did you google images of those berries? They don't look real. Remembered I had a pic of some I saw 'in the wild' last Oct.

o

Yes, they are the same berries as in your picture, pretty purple :>) My balcony is screened in so I'm lucky this year, but come next month I will be moving to a downstairs apartment with a small patio that is not screened in :>( I will have to deal with the nasty critters next summer, summer is winding down up here and I'm ready for the cooler air. I HATE the humidity we have been getting the last few summers, doesnt go well with menopause & my hot flashes LOL...
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here