Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pigletcompany

what kind of tree is this?

pigletcompany
11 years ago

Can someone tell me what kind of tree it is? Bought it at Lowes in an arrangement that had 3 different plants in it. Thank you so much!!!!!!

Carla

Comments (7)

• User
    11 years ago

Dracaena marinara tricolor. Give lots of sun or colors will fade.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

I agree with Nj. Lots of bright light and allow soil to dry between waterings. If soil stays wet for prolonged periods, D. Marginata will rot. Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Kudos to you for separating these plants! Don't know what kind of ____ (insert preferred version of "dork") would put Dief and Drac in the same pot (assuming that's what was going on.) Totally different light preferences.

Didn't think it was possible but my opinion of L's just went down another notch.

• stewartsjon
    11 years ago

I think you have to accept that if different plants are mixed in the same pot, they won't all like the same conditions.

We do troughs with up to five different species in, selected for aesthetic rather than horticultural compatibility.

I recently installed some "all purple" troughs: Drac Magenta, Cordyline Tango, Calathea Triostar, Stromanthe Amabilis, Maranta Tricolour.

They are doing fine - you just have to water unevenly over the soil surface.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Jon, that sounds like a pretty container. (Of course I'm going to say that, right?) I don't know all of those plants well enough to speculate how much of a mis-match they might be. Your job sounds like a blast!

I've done some dabbling with plant pairings over the years, some do great, other times you lose something. Went a little overboard propagating this year... May be considering some odd but temporary roommate situations this winter if the room stretcher doesn't work out.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

SJ, your combo does sound nice, but watering needs of Marantaceaes and Dracaenas differ. Your containers must be wide???
    Happen to have a picture?

Often, stores sell combos. People buy them, so they continue coming in.
    Those inconsistent I've seen are palms, marginata and a succulent or cactus combos..Toni

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

What most of the plants we grow, other than cacti, want doesn't vary anywhere near as widely as what they will tolerate. If we set aside light requirements for the moment, we can observe that you can't grow succulents next to pothos in water retentive soils because the succulents aren't as tolerant of wet feet as the pothos. Utilize a fast draining soil that doesn't support perched water and you could happily grow the two side by side - i.e. if not for the variant light requirements. Almost all the plants we grow will do exceptionally well in a soil that remains moist but not wet, and doesn't support significant volumes of perched water. Imagine any plant commonly described as preferring high light and a 'moist' soil (Castanospermum australe/lucky bean?) and you can grow it in combination with a variety of succulents or other common houseplants in an appropriate soil if there was an inclination to do so.

Al

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert