Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Plants, Need Help -- Dracaena, Pothos, Pilea

Posted by Nieting none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 13:06

Hi everyone,

I'm new to plants... I've previously dabbled with outdoor plants, and this time I thought it might be nice to have indoor plants instead.

Problems I've noticed that I need some help with.

Dracaena -- Originally I had it near the window. I noticed that the leaves were becoming brown on the tips, so I moved it to the top of my bookcase. After about a week, I noticed it was losing its colour and turning yellow... so I moved it back by the window and it seems to be recovering. It gets maybe 1-2 hours of direct sunshine, as the window is facing West. Is it normal for the tips to be turning brown? I think the problem may be the dryness in the air, so I am trying to mist it every day. I water it once a week.

Pothos -- One plant was originally deep green. Now it's turning marble like the other plant. Also, the stems of both plants show dark lines. Overwatering? Underwatering? I water them about every five days, but I make certain that the pots drain and that the roots aren't sitting in water.

Pilea -- I've put it in the corner by the window. Some of the leaves are turning brown/black/white! I water it every 5 days.

(I also have a fern and its tips are turning brown too.)

This post was edited by Nieting on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 13:12

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Plants, Need Help -- Dracaena, Pothos, Pilea

I am going to post a few photos, so you can get a sense of where they are placed... This is on top of my bookcase, maybe four feet up, and they are directly facing the West window. (But I'm five floors up so they don't receive any direct sunshine.)

o

Here you can see where the pilea leaves are turning brown.

And in the top left of the picture, you can see where the leaf is turning white.

o

>> Pothos -- [...] the stems of both plants show dark lines.

The stems or the petioles (sticks that connect leaves to stems)?

Black lines on petioles of this kind of pothos is normal, I think. My plants have them and had them right from the start, and they look healthy. Hopefully you can see what I mean - two thin black lines running along the petioles. They are thin dried up sharp edges of D-shaped cross-section petioles.

Your other plants do not look half-bad either, but I'm not very familiar with those.

o

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

Agreed about the Pothos, looks great!

Dracaena = famous for yellow tips, often exacerbated by tap water chemicals. Did you have a pic of that one?

The Pilea - not sure what that is, almost looks like sunburn but that seems unlikely for an indoor plant in Canada. What's going on with the leaves that are strangely curled and kind of albino-looking? Do you see any spider webbing on those leaves? Do you have a pic of the whole plant?

This watering every 5 days thing, is that when the plants are dry?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here