Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

Aglaonema ID please?

greendale
9 years ago

Hi,

Do you know what they are. Got them from clearance in BBS without a tag. After changing the potting soil to gritty mix and put them outside, they are doing much better now :) Thanks.

{{gwi:98384}}

{{gwi:98387}}

Comments (13)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

This is 'Black Cherry.' Could be a match for the top one. Both very pretty!

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

it def can be 'black cherry'.
    i think siam aurora has more yellow-white in the leaves and also much more red eventually.
    purple, is it the same one you posted before? it surely looked like a nice size plant!
    and great color!
    curious, do you keep yours outdoors and in what light?

Here is a link that might be useful: siam aurora and purple's ags

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

and there's another one with red edge: 'crete'.
    a lot of the varieties are very close in coloration and it is hard to distinguish between them. a lot of coloration depends on growing conditions too - so when they are not marked, you can only guess and wait to see how they will grow out.

Here is a link that might be useful: thai ag. 'crete'

• greendale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the IDs, petrushka. I think you nailed both of them. Your unyamanee is a beauty,Hope mine will grow up like that one day. :) Yes, I put them outside in shade. Agh, 70F and high humidity - that's kind hard in winter when they are inside. I do not keep my house that warm and humid. :( Let's see how it fares with the inside environment this winter).

Pulple: I do not think mine looks like 'Black Cherry.', although I got them from walmart too. But I saw it in Home depot and lowes too around V day.

Thanks again for the ID and care tips.

This post was edited by greendale on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 22:43

9 years ago

Yes, plants are outside for summer. Ags are under trees where they get some direct sun in early morning and late afternoon. Light exposure definitely plays a huge role in the appearance of the colors.

Our house isn't that warm for winter either, most days.

I don't think these names mean much of anything, but they are fun to discuss, and I always love looking at the plants. Seems like diff sellers use diff names for the same plant, or diff names by the same seller at diff times, IDK. Maybe someone knows more about how identical looking plants can have diff fru-fru names?

Crete and Black Cherry look identical to me.

Crete:
    {{gwi:98390}}

Another pic of my BC, when it was in diff light conditions of just a short time of morning sun than the much deeper shade of being under a porch roof all day:
    {{gwi:98391}}

• greendale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe it (the names) is for patent/promote sales (hey, look, here is another new/diff one that you must have) lol. I have more plants than I care for that i do not know their variety. At least, for this two, I can call them something other than pink agla 1 and 2. :)

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

apparently in thailand the slightest difference in coloration allows them to register it under a different name.
    i came across a thai photo book - it does not have all, but has a lot of what appear to be very similar ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: thai pink ag varieties

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

Wow, lovely plants!

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

stumbled on a few more links.
    this one is tissue lab in hawaii - new varieties...
    hope they'll filter thru into shops some time in the future...

Here is a link that might be useful: new pink ags - no names

9 years ago

No doubt, must have each one my eye tells me is different, I'm just not getting sucked into the names. If I lived in Thailand propagating Aglaonemas, I bet it would be pretty daggone important though.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

apparently they have been obsessed with pink ags in Philippines, thailand and indonesia for like 30 years... nothing to do with us markets. there are many hobbyists there that do the hybridizing too for the fun of it, not for sale.
    it's a very big local business, us market is a tiny fraction compared to it and is very recent.

9 years ago

Glad they're letting us in on the fun in the US.