Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
photo_synthesis

Rescued this beautiful Cordyline "Dark Knight"

Photo Synthesis
9 years ago

I ran across this beauty a few weeks ago at my local Home Depot. What caught my attention was how it is almost completely black. More like a really really really dark purple. Well, I didn't get one, even tho I wanted to. Fast forward to yesterday, I had to stop by there again. So I swung by the garden center. They had almost all new plants on display. The lady that worked there said they switched "themes." Their newest theme was "Hawaiian."

Well, walking around some more, I noticed two shopping carts with plants just thrown in, one on top of the other. That's when I noticed a couple of "black" leaves sticking out from the bottom. So I dug in and found this beauty buried underneath all of the others. I asked the lady if they were throwing them away, and she said they were going back to wherever they came from. I asked her if I bought the Cordyline, if I could get it on clearance. At first she tried selling me a newer, dark red one they just got in. I told her I liked the black one instead. Then she said it would be full price, but then changed her mind. Because the plant looked a little beat up. (The stem in front is being propped up against the others. It's not broke, just not buried very well. A fourth stem was snapped off completely, but a couple of side shoots were beginning to bud out.) So she gave it to me for half price.

Is this a new variety? I tried looking up more information on it, but couldn't find much about it.

Comments (2)