Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Houseplant I.D.

Posted by bryanscott none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 14:02

Can someone help me out identifying these two houseplants? Both were taken from cuttings from others' collections.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Houseplant I.D.

Here's the other one....

o

I don't know about the first one, but the second one definitely looks like a hoya vine.

o

Thanks for the help. Did a search, and it definitely does look like a Hoya Vine.

Here's another angle of that first plant... Seems to be some kind of Dracena but I'm not sure.

o

The 2nd one IS a Hoya, likely a Carnosa, tho' nice to see its veining like that.

For the 1st, perhaps try looking up 'corn plant', yes, I guess a draecena of some type.

o

Yes, the first is a dracena of some sort. And the vine is a hoya.

o

If the first is a Dracaena, I'd guess sanderiana (what they use for lucky bamboo) but it may be one I've not heard of before.

Behind it is a little jade plant? It sure is cute!

o

Looks like Dracaena reflexa to me, but not the best lighting in the pictures, so I could be wrong.

o

Good call on that (Dracaena Reflexa). I've literally been trying to figure that out for years.

Thanks!

o

Yep, defo Drac Reflexa family.

It looks like it has a tiny variegated fringe to the leaves - I've not seen before.

o

Nope, those are just some off-colored tips. Those leaves are really old...probably 6 or 7 years.

This plant had been considerably larger up until recently, but it outgrew its space (and quite frankly was looking rather lame). So I cut it back aggressively in hopes that it would branch out. So far so good, although this thing is a very slow grower.

Also re-potted it, exposing some pretty nice roots that had been hiding beneath the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here