Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Monstera deliciosa

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 14:07

Hi. My Variegated Monstera deliciosa only shows variegation on every other leaf. The first couple times I just thought it was a coincidence but it always happens. A solid green leaf followed by a variegated leaf. Is there some reason for this? The plant is healthy and growing well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Monstera deliciosa

Hey Karen....How you doing?

Wish I had an answer for ya, but haven't the foggiest.

Is the newest leaf variegated or green?

Have a pic to share? Toni

o

I've got one that does the same thing... sometimes every 3-4 leaves.
Randy

o

Hi Toni. All is well. How are you doing? Randy I'm glad to hear that mine isn't the only one that does this. I figured I'd get the occasional solid green leaf, but like clock work, it's every other one. Interestingly all have variegated stems, regardless if the leaf shows any variegation. The leaf that unfurled yesterday is variegated. I don't think I have any pics. When it stops raining I'll take one.

o

There is a mixture of white and green variegated tissue in that Monstera. In your case they are pretty well segregated....you probably see a white strip on the stem on one side....the same sideyou are getting the variegation on. You will get the most consistent variegation on the plants that have the most marbling....where every leaf has a marbled mix of green and white. However, by nature this time of variegated chimera is "unstable".....the looks of each new leaf or new branch will depend on the mixture of white and green cells where the bud orginated.
I started with a plant like yours. After it grew a bit I cut up the stem into nodes with one leaf for propagation. Each grew a new stem. Most were green but one originated from where the white and green came together...giving a little better variegation. I grew that one, tossed the rest and repeated. At that point I got one that came out from the green and white and had a better and more consistent mixture of green and white. I ahve bee growing the latter every since! I try to remove any branches that become too white and/or too green.
BTW, this is a fun plant and one of my favorites!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here