Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rioseven

Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada

RioSeven
9 years ago

Okay...5-1-1 mix!

I am having trouble. First off the only perlite I can find is not "course." Okay, that is a problem, but I guess the regular perlite will have to do.

But I cannot get pine bark fines. Obviously I checked all the stores. Closest thing I could find was cedar mulch. I found a mulch guy outside of town who did look into it. He found out that I could get some, but I would have to buy a "truck load." He did mention that I could get a smaller amount but that required driving to the supplier six hours away.

I do find pine bark fines on Home Depot's website, when I tried to order it I got the message "this product is not available in your area."

Has anyone in Ontario, or even Canada, managed to purchase this stuff?

Additionally, does anyone know what could be substituted? I was desperate because my plants were not doing well in the regular potting mix you buy at the store. So I have been mixing potting soil with perlite, and adding just a little orchard mix or tiny gravel. That seems to working okay so far. My plants are no longer sitting in soggy mud. The soil dries out much quicker, which I am also happy about.

I should mention that I am growing basic houseplants like spiders, pothos, peperomia, ZZ, and jade.

Comments (12)