Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zusya_gw

Forgot the rooting hormone...

zusya
14 years ago

Hello all.

Yesterday I bought a beaucarnea at Home Depot for $3... actually it was 9 little beaucarneas grown together. Today I split them all up and potted them in a couple different sterile mediums to see what would work. Except... I forgot to use rooting hormone! Has anybody ever tried diluting rooting hormone in water and making a watering solution? Any other ideas? There was minimal root damage during the split-up, but the plants are so small that I hate to take any chances.

Comments (27)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Rooting hormone(s) help the meristematic (and differentiated) tissues in the cambium and callus differentiate or redifferentiate into tissues that allow root primordia and initials to develop. IOW, it sometimes helps roots develop from nonroot tissues, but it shouldn't be considered something that will make existing roots increase their mass (grow) any more than they normally would. It's not a root tonic.

Al

14 years ago

Let me guess - you READ that somewhere - right (Superthrive)? ;o)

Transplants should be kept in very bright light, but not full sun. Forcing them to deal with lower light levels deprives them of the solar energy they convert to food - food which helps them reestablish more quickly.

Al

• terpguy
    14 years ago

LOL thats where we differ, sir. I've damage too many houseplants by putting them back in their usual light right after repotting. Can show you the photos of the damage if you'd like. I've learned by experience to never give them their full light requirements until they become relatively established, couple weeks tops.

As for Superthrive (you HAVE heard of this, correct?), this is also from experience. Its a very widely used technique in orchid culture, and on rare occasions in interior landscaping, and I've been doing it for the better part of a decade with significant results on both orchids and regular houseplants ;o) Just did all of this on a very sickly tropical hibiscus with 3 leaves left, and it has improved dramatically in the last 2-3 weeks since its been repotted...you would never know it was almost dead 2 weeks ago (photo also available).

YMMV, of course. Everyone has their own way of doing things, and success is success however you decide to grow your plants! :)

14 years ago

Superthrive or Superjive

The question regarding the value of Superthrive as a miracle tonic for plants is often bandied about in horticultural circles. Over the years, I had read claims that ranged from, "I put it on my plant, which had never bloomed, and it was in full bloom the next day." to, "It was dead - I put Superthrive on it and the next day it was alive and beautiful, growing better than it ever had before." I decided to find out for myself.

If you look for information on the net, you will probably only find the manufacturers claims and anecdotal observations, both so in want of anything that resembles a control. Though my experiments were far from purely scientific, I tried to keep some loose controls in place so that I could make a fair judgment of its value, based my own observations. Here is what I did, what I found, and the conclusions I made about any value the product Superthrive might hold for me.

On four separate occasions, I took multiple cuttings of plants in four different genera. In each case the group of cuttings were taken from the same individual plant to reduce genetic variance. The plant materials I used were: Ficus benjamina, (a tropical weeping fig) Luna apiculata (Peruvian myrtle), Chaenorrhinum minus (a dwarf snapdragon), and an unknown variety of Coleus. In each instance, I prepared cuttings from the same plant and inserted them in a very fast, sterile soil. The containers containing half of the cuttings were immersed/soaked in a Superthrive solution of approximately 1/2 tsp per gallon of water to the upper soil line. The other half of the cuttings were watered in with water only. In subsequent waterings, I would water the "Superthrive batch" of cuttings with a solution of 10 drops per gallon and the others with only water. The same fertilizer regimen was followed on both groups of cuttings. In all four instances, the cuttings that I used Superthrive on rooted and showed new growth first. For this reason, it follows that they would naturally exhibit better development, though I could see no difference in overall vitality, once rooted. I can also say that a slightly higher percentage of cuttings rooted that were treated with the Superthrive treatment at the outset. I suspect that is directly related to the effects of the auxin in Superthrive hastening initiation of root primordia before potential vascular connections were destroyed by rot causing organisms.

In particular, something I looked for because of my affinity for a compact form in plants was branch (stem) extension. (The writer is a bonsai practitioner.) Though the cuttings treated with Superthrive rooted sooner, they exhibited the same amount of branch extension. In other words, internode length was approximately equal and no difference in leaf size was noted.

As a second part to each of my "experiments", I divided the group of cuttings that had not been treated with Superthrive into two groups. One of the groups remained on the water/fertilizer only program, while the other group was treated to an additional 10 drops of Superthrive in each gallon of fertilizer solution. Again, the fertilizer regimen was the same for both groups. By summerÂs end, I could detect no difference in bio-mass or vitality between the two groups of plants.

Since I replicated the above experiment in four different trials, using four different plant materials, I am quite comfortable in drawing some conclusions as they apply to me and my growing habits or abilities. First, and based on my observations, I have concluded that Superthrive does hold value for me as a rooting aid, or stimulant if you prefer. I regularly soak the soil, usually overnight, of my newly root-pruned and often bare-rooted repots in a solution of 1/2 tsp Superthrive per gallon of water. Second, and also based on my observations, I no longer bother with its use at any time other than at repotting. No evidence was accumulated through the 4 trials to convince me that Superthrive was of any value as a "tonic" for plants with roots that were beyond the initiation or recovery stage.

Interestingly, the first ingredient listed as being beneficial to plants on the Superthrive label is vitamin B-1 (or thiamine). Growing plants are able to synthesize their own vitamin B-1 as do many of the fungi and bacteria having relationships with plant roots, so it's extremely doubtful that vitamin B-1 could be deficient in soils or that a growing plant could exhibit a vitamin B-1 deficiency.

Some will note that I used more of the product than suggested on the container. I wanted to see if any unwanted effects surfaced as well as trying to be sure there was ample opportunity for clear delineation between the groups. I suspect that if a more dilute solution was used, the difference between groups would have been even less clear.

It might be worth noting that since the product contains the growth regulator (hormone) auxin, its overuse can cause defoliation, at least in dicots. The broad-leaf weed killer Weed-B-Gone and the infamous "Agent Orange", a defoliant that saw widespread use in Viet Nam, are little more than synthetic auxin.

No need for photos - I've done thousands of full repots with extensive root work, so I KNOW what they will/won't tolerate. I'll stand by what I said about the bright light & let the jury decide.

Al

• zusya
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've never tried Superthrive, though I've heard good things. Back to my question...

Don't water with a rooting hormone solution, then? I use Rootone, which lists "naphthaleneacetamide" and "thirim" as its active ingredients. I'm just wondering if I diluted some in water, maybe I could deliver it to the "wounds." It does have an anti-fungal property, and it's infection I'm worried about with my little beacarneas. I'm glad to hear they're tough.

• zusya
    Original Author
    14 years ago

seriously, i really, really don't care one way or the other about superthrive. since i had nine offshoots, i'm trying three apiece in different light situations, so lighting is not an issue. just curious about rooting hormone.

14 years ago

From above: "... it sometimes helps roots develop from nonroot tissues, but it (rooting hormone) shouldn't be considered something that will make existing roots increase their mass (grow) any more than they normally would. It's not a root tonic."

Al

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Like I said, success is success...or lack of results is lack of results and I'm not one to argue with that. I don't buy into the hype, I use superthrive because of the results I've seen. Nor do i claim it to be a cureall. Far from it, my success is a result of multiple facets of my care, of which this is a part. This is what has worked for me and of course what works for one may not work for another. Two gentlemen are free to disagree:). I will point out that just ad plants are able to make ther own b vitamins, they are able to make their own auxins. Most rooting hormones (powders at least) are mostly fungicides anyways. Cuttings are able to root on their own. Personally I don't trust the claim on b vitamins.

sorry to confuse you zusya. But this really illustrates that you should experiment and see what works for you. I say give the superthrive a try and see what happens. In all reality though your plant will be just fine without anything. I don't think you can mix roottone with water. The one time I tried to do that it didn't dissolve. Rooting hormones, as al mentioned, are more important for cuttings than repots like what you did.

Good luck with your babies! I have a beautiful beaucarnia with long ribbing curly q leaves and it's one of my favorite plants in my collection:)

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    14 years ago

Since you just potted them up yesterday why not pull them out and apply the hormone. I've done that when forgetting. I don't know anything about your plant but I just don't think it could hurt. Rootone website says to keep in medium shade.

Can we drop the superthrive issue and answer Zusya's question please.

• greenchic
    14 years ago

I think the plants will be ok, just go easy on the watering if they are kept indoors. This time of year most plants are at thier peak.

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

If you feel like you want to use a rooting solution, you can try K-L-N by Dyna Gro. It is something you can mix up a batch of, and water in. I've used it on occasion. If I remember correctly, it gives you a few different mixing concentrations, based on what you want to accomplish.

• terpguy
    14 years ago

gobluedjm, the superthrive issue is directly related to zusyas question. Absolutely nothing wrong with a healthy discussion.

I agree with quinnfyre also. K-L-N is another great product that would work for what you're looking to do. I'm a fan of the Dyna-gro line.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    14 years ago

Terpguy, zusyas stated she/he doesn't care about superthrive and we shouldn't hijack their thread.
    People come here with simple questions for answers and sometimes they never get an answer!

14 years ago

Go Blu - even your post is off topic, so you're as guilty as ..... ;o)

My feeling is that the OP posted the thread looking for specific information - maybe was looking only for information that he wanted to hear, but that's not the issue here. What IS important to understand is that the OP doesn't OWN the thread. We owe him a certain amount of respect in trying to keep the conversation on topic, but more threads go OFF topic than stay on. I am perfectly willing to drop the Superjive discussion because the OP not so politely asked, but I don't think it's something anyone owes him because it IS on topic. This is a forum for exchange of ideas and information, and every conversational exchange doesn't have to include the OP for participants and lurkers alike to learn.

Al

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    14 years ago

A1, I WAS NOT OFF TOPIC in my first post and the 2nd I am trying to get you guys to answer and yes I am yelling!
    I have never disagreed with you before, but this time you are not correct and I couldn't disagree more with you on whether I was OT or not.

14 years ago

Lol - settle down - your most recent post and this one (mine) are ALSO off topic. ;o)

Al

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    14 years ago

DO NOT tell me what to do. My last one and this one is only OT cuz you started it! So there! I tried to end the OT last night but noooo, no one wants to comply!
    And you can stop with the stupid condescending emoticons.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Zusya,

Since you have so many offsets, why not try rooting hormone (either Rootone or the gel) on some and not on others and report back your results to us?

There's nothing like empirical evidence.

Goblue,

You're needing a hug, if I may suggest what you might do. Either that, or you're upset that the Padres somehow found a way to win. Al is (1) a nice fellow and (2) knowledgeable.

Your latest post makes it seem you're not getting enough sleep.

14 years ago

Zusya,

One more thing - don't water the offsets! There's no reason to water soil that has plants in it that have no roots. You should mist them only until there's evident growth on them - that way you know you've got roots. OTOH, if your offsets already have roots, there's no reason not to water them, but rather than rooting hormone in the water, I'd use that liquid vitamin B12 or transplant additive.

• zusya
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the great advice! I love this forum. Since the baby beaucarneas have some tiny roots, and there's the whole non-soluble issue that was mentioned, I will forgo the rooting hormone tonic. I'm also going to abstain from watering for a while and stick to just misting. I might try some transplant additive or maybe K-L-N on a few of the plantlets as an experiment. I will keep you all updated!

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    14 years ago

cactus, my screenname has nothing to do with baseball. It's not even allowed on the news in my home, so I have no idea nor do I care who wins or loses.
    I know all about A1's knowledge and respect it. But when I get called out for something I didn't do and I call him out he doesn't like it; but its ok in his mind to call out people alot on this forum IMO.

14 years ago

Dear Zusya,

Good on ya!

I thought that this had died (and the mother plant had, as you can see from the flower spike and leaf remnants) but the babies are a pleasant surprise - I might, following your experience, just pot one up for the pure succulent giggles it will give me in the winter, when its siblings will be covered with snow for more than a few fortnights.

{{gwi:98513}}

14 years ago

Actually, the emoticons are not condescending at all. They're only there to help you give me the benefit of the doubt if you chose. I wasn't calling anyone out, either. I think you know my style is usually pretty straight forward when I do - I don't beat around the bush. I, with a smile on my face, was pointing out the irony in your taking the time to go off topic to chide what in your opinion was an off-topic exchange. Our opinions on that vary, and that's fine, but there's no question the conversation we're having now is off-topic. Actually, you already have 3 completely off-topic posts, and this is MY 3rd, (I apologize to Zusya for straying.) so if you reply and I don't, does that make you more guilty than I? I think it probably does, and I can't remember the last time I got away with "but he started it" as justification for my actions.

I don't mind being called out at all. As long as someone's opinion is reasonably supportable or their offerings thoughtful, and they don't get personal, I'm good with it - especially if they can stay focused. If you can ever introduce something that refutes anything I say, or can shoot holes in my reasoning/logic, then have at it. I don't come here to hold the hands of people who don't know what they're talking about, but still feel compelled to offer definitive advice anyway (not referring to this thread specifically). I come here solely to help those that need or ask for it. The pay's meager, but I manage to find reward in that anyway. ;o) ;o)

Al

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Meager pay indeed! :)

Thats the beauty of these forums: they aren't simply "question x? Answer Y!" That makes for a dull, rather staid forum. I came to GW...gosh, 7 years ago or so? And the undeniable fact is that the forum is a medium for learning and information exchange, not a simple question and answer session. Al's and my approach to OP's question differ dramatically, and a healthy discussion ensued. Thats not off topic, thats exploring different ways for the OP to treat his plants with respect to his inquiry. You yourself presented a third way: Personally I don't like it because in my mind it disturbs the roots more than necessary. But hey, it works for you, so its something else for OP to consider! Growing plants comes down to this: find out what works for you. Presenting different ideas and debating their merits allows people to decide for themselves how to proceed.

Frankly, I think this houseplants forum could use a bit more disagreement/debate anyways. In my time lurking here, I haven't seen much in the way of serious discussion...I'm so used to the rough and tumble nature of the orchid section that this section is almost sugary sweet :) Of course, I suppose this section isn't quite as active as the orchid section is to begin with.

14 years ago

Terpguy,

I always had used the Orchid folk as the extreme example when trying to convince folks, mainly myself, that I wasn't taking the C&S I tried to grow to obsessive degrees - it usually worked. But the Eric Hansen book convinced me that we're like you, but our starter plants are usually cheaper.

I agree with you on the discussions - differing opinions make one think, and with God as my witness, I don't do enough of that activity.

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Cheaper AND easier to grow since orchids require so much more attention to detail. Even your standard beginners plant, a phal, requires more attention than-say-an aglo. Though I'm glad I started with them instead of the easier stuff. It made me approach plants more analytically than I think your typical houseplant hobbiest would. Now if I can find out how to stop killing cacti, I'll be good to go! :)