Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Weirdest-looking plants

I can't decide between these two - not my plants, images chosen at random from google search

Cissus quadrangularis

{{gwi:98614}}

Euphorbia lactea cristata

{{gwi:98615}}

What oddball plants have you seen?

Comments (40)

• snappyguy
    11 years ago

I think Acalypha pendula is up there too. Here's mine from a while ago. It's grown quite a lot since this photo was taken.

{{gwi:88096}}

Psilotum nudum is a strange one too. My wife has one, although the link is a photo I found on google.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:98596}}

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, both are weird.

{{gwi:98616}}

Ghost Plant

{{gwi:98617}}

Monster Cactus

{{gwi:98618}}

Bird's Claw...

{{gwi:98619}}

Don't know which is the weirdest. Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, those are your plants, right? Pretty sure I've seen your Euphorbia plant from your first pic before and, as you can see, it stuck with me.

And I gotta ask... three bottles of chocolate syrup?

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

This isn't my photo (I don't own one) but I think that the Bowiea volubilis 'Climbing Onion' is one for the books.

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Good Morning,

Purple, yes, they're my plants. lol. Don't know how to post others' plants on the forums.

Choc syrup. Our son will NOT drink milk unless it's chocolate or has chocolate syrup mixed in. He needs/ed to gain weight, so I'd buy 2 bottles every month. It worked for a while..

The first three pics were taken sometime back..All four plants are summering outdoors now.

Snappy. I love your Acalypha. The flowers are so different, fuzzy.

Planto. I ordered from TT's once. A Calathea. It took time to arrive, but what a disappointment! They sent a large specimen, but every last leaf had brown edges, and worse, it was the wrong Calathea.
    However, I believe in giving nurseries a second chance. TT's has a plant I want, but it's out of stock.

I got my Boweia at Shoal Creek. Toni

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

Good morning everyone, Toni the plant that you've identified as birds claw here we call that one devils backbone..it's amazing how one plant can have so many different names..your plants are gorgeous

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, all of my potted plants are "Steve," so common names are fairly unreliable. But you can know for sure if you're talking about the same plant by using it's changed Latin name, which I think is a variegated Euphorbia tithymaloides, formerly Pedilanthes tithymaaloides, which has a whole passel of commons.

And I agree, that's a serious weird-o! I was about to succumb to its' strangeness after seeing it at the garden store a few times but after realizing it's got latex sap, no thanks! Thanks for adding your pics, Toni. I was hoping you would, knowing you have some seriously weird plants (in a good way, of course!)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Pachypodium brevicaule (dormant)
    {{gwi:98620}}

Ol' Horseteeth (which is what it's nicknamed in Afrikaans)

{{gwi:98622}}

You choose what's wierd

{{gwi:98623}}

Still unid NWC crest

{{gwi:98624}}

And Colleen took my heart

{{gwi:98625}}

Bristly boar of a cactus

{{gwi:98626}}

A riding cactus

{{gwi:98627}}

Cresting cactus (also a Saguaro i.e. Carnegia gigantea like the one above)

{{gwi:98628}}

Lateral cephalium, yum yum on the fuzzy wuzzy (this occurs on a number of columnar cacti, mostly South American)

{{gwi:98629}}

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Plantmasterm..Yep, the plant is also known as devil's backbone, but I chose not to use the term..lol.

Purple, the older I get, the weirder the plants. :)

Jeff, is that you riding the Cactus?

You really have beautiful cactus and succulents.
    I'm facinated w/your Pachypodium Brevicaule.

What's the heart shaped plant? Toni

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

That very cool "Horse's Teeth " succulent is Hawthornia truncata...I had to look it up, I was so crazy about it. :-)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Chris, love your pics, especially the ones with (I'm assuming) you in them. You seem to have a fun attitude about the plants. I don't know diddly about cactus and I don't like to bleed, so they all seem weird to me. I think the horseteeth is my fav of your group also. The cute little plant to the right of it is also intriguing! Thanks for adding more true bizarro plants!

11 years ago

Toni,

I wish it was, but no, it's another cactus fanboy, Cactus McFryerburger, riding the arm. The P. brevicaule pic is in habitat (Madagascar) - I never grew one. The heart-shaped leaf is from the NWC crest also pictured.

rhizo,

Sorry, I should have named it for you. In habitat, as you saw, the plants would nearly be level with the soil, allowing the windows of the leaves to work, but looking nothing like our cultivated plants.

purple,

I'm not Chris (who I know to be at least one fine gentleman here). Not me in them, no - my jackassery can be found elsewhere (on the left in this picture).Just propagatin' the faith, my sisters and brothers.

{{gwi:98630}}

Cheers,

Jeff

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooh, excuse me! I had assumptive vision and saw "cactusmanchris." Thanks for setting me straight, Jeff!

• macranthos
    11 years ago

I've always favored the very strange Strongylodon macrobotrys, which is incidentally my second favorite plant name to say (second to Ornithogalum adseptentrionesvergentulum, of course). The strange claw like flowers coupled with the vivid teal combines interestingly. The picture isn't mine, BTW: google...

Also, Ceropegia has some very strange flowers... if only I had more growing space, and also several tropical conservatories. Google search below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceropegia

11 years ago

purple,

No worries.

Nan,

One of our own members here recently posted pics of her flowering Ceropegias - the adjective dainty and wild come to mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Karyn's Ceropegias

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Jeff I just posted a couple more ceropegia varieties that recently bloomed, stapeliformis and juncea. Surprisingly, or maybe not, since I tend to grow some oddball plants, have about half of what has been mentioned in this thread. lol Even better is Bowiea garipensis which looks like the Bowiea volubilis on steroids. Both of my Bowieas are just now coming out of dormancy. Unfortunately my Strongylodon macrobotrys wasn't thriving in my greenhouse so I gave it to a friend in zone 10b after seeing it strugle for a few years. I know some folks in 10a that grow it and even there it needs some protection. The Mucuna bennetti (Red Jade vine) is also quite beautiful but equally temp sensitive.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

One of my strangest that I'm growing Amorphophallus paeoniifolius.

11 years ago

Really weird, but how stinky?

Nice shot! Feelin' them photons, baby.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Did we run out of oddballs?

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Cactusmcharris, noticeable but very weak. You need to get pretty close to notice.

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

This guy is sort of strange the way he spirals...Euphorbia tortilis.

Christopher

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

This is a pink Euphorbia I once had.

{{gwi:98632}}

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi,,

Nan, I've always wanted Strongylodon, until someone told me they're difficult keeping indoors, let along getting to bloom. Yours is fantastic. Love the flowers.

Tropicbreeze...that's one of the nicest Amorphophallus I've seen..nice colors.

Christopher..yours is one of the weirdest Euphorbias I've seen..love the swirls.

Larry..Very pretty red..mine gets color, but nowhere as nice as yours.

While bringing plants in yesterday, I snapped a few pics of what I consider a little weird-looking?.....

Senecio

{{gwi:98633}}

Pelargonium

{{gwi:98634}}

Something Nova

{{gwi:98635}}

Monadenium and Adenia

{{gwi:98636}}

Compared so some of your plants, mine aren't strange-looking by a long shot, but I love them anyway. Toni

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Hopeful, I had that Senecio once, lovely plant, tho at the time it was called Kleinia. It got moved into Senecio sometime! It ever flower?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry, some plants like Purple's Cissus resemble Klenia. I sometimes wonder if the sellers jot down the right names..lol

Here's a Klenia purchurchased in the 90's..at least the tag sais Klenia.

{{gwi:98637}}

Another species of Klenia
    {{gwi:98638}}

See what I mean? lol. Toni

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Yea but the plant I refer to was actually called Kleinia- its listed in my old house plant expert book as Kleinia articulata.
    It must have got moved to the genus Senecio later.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry, I agree, numerous plant names have been and still are changing, however, if you type in Kleinia on Ebay or C&S nurseries, a list of plants come up.

Whether or not my plant is Senecio or Kleinia, I stil call it Kleinia, or common names such as Hot Dog or Cucumber plant..Toni

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

Hi....I am liking this thread more and more, great plants everyone...Toni I love your hot dog plant if you ever want to cut it back think of me for a cutting piece ...that is a weird plant......linda

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Yea and the interesting thing is that it's related to daisies! Wait till it flowers! I didnt get that particular Kleinia to flower but one of its cousins did flower for me. A scarlet daisy followed by a fluffy seedhead! Wish Id kept some of those seeds!

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

One of the weirdest looking plants that I own is my Homalocladiun platycladum 'Tapeworm plant'. also sometimes called a Ribbon Plant. Here's a pic-

• randy_e
    11 years ago

Xanthosoma albo-marginata....

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Although fairly common, Platycerium superbum could be considered weird.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Emerald...remind me next spring or when temps are warm enough to ship. Okay?

FPT...Ribbon/Tape plants are weird-looking. Yours is very pretty.

Randy...I've heard and seen pics of Xanthosoma's, but never owned one. Do they grow from bulbs/corms?
    Yours is very colorful, healthly foliage. I like.

Tropic..growing Platy's indoors doesn't do these plants justice.
    They belong attached to a tree or bark..the size is amazing, perfect foliage. Beautiful! Toni

• randy_e
    11 years ago

Toni, It grows from a tuber like other elephant Ears. Multiplies from off shoots.
    Randy

• Polly381
    11 years ago

beautiful Plants. cool thread thanks for posting. A lot of those plants I have never seen before.

• sandy0225
    11 years ago

This is one that I grow every year. I don't think it's so weird anymore but most people do that aren't used to it

Solanum quit onesie bed of nails plant

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed of nails plant

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Sandy, your Bed of Nails IS very unusual. Is yours potted or planted in the garden?

Are thorns/nails sharp? Very rare indeed..

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Great Pics everyone!

Jeff, the first Saguaro, "riding" is that in Tucson, looks like some mountains that are just 10 min. from me in the back drop. Great pictures and an amazing cactus!

JoJo

• sandy0225
    11 years ago

Most people grow them as an annual, because they're not all that good to be around in the house, or a crowded greenhouse. They are thorny all over even on the stems and bottom side of the leaves.

I was trying to post a picture I took myself but I couldn't get webshots to give me a photo link.

11 years ago

Jojo,

It's actually not - that's Organ Pipe we were in.

Sandy,

You can upload the photo directly from your computer to GW.