Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weirdest-looking plants

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 14:21

I can't decide between these two - not my plants, images chosen at random from google search

Cissus quadrangularis

Euphorbia lactea cristata

What oddball plants have you seen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weirdest-looking plants

I think Acalypha pendula is up there too. Here's mine from a while ago. It's grown quite a lot since this photo was taken.

Photobucket

Psilotum nudum is a strange one too. My wife has one, although the link is a photo I found on google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Psilotum nudum

o

Purple, both are weird.

Euphorbia

Ghost Plant

Euphorbia

Monster Cactus

Lactea

Bird's Claw...

Pedilanthus

Don't know which is the weirdest. Toni

o

Toni, those are your plants, right? Pretty sure I've seen your Euphorbia plant from your first pic before and, as you can see, it stuck with me.

And I gotta ask... three bottles of chocolate syrup?

o

This isn't my photo (I don't own one) but I think that the Bowiea volubilis 'Climbing Onion' is one for the books.

Planto

o

Good Morning,

Purple, yes, they're my plants. lol. Don't know how to post others' plants on the forums.

Choc syrup. Our son will NOT drink milk unless it's chocolate or has chocolate syrup mixed in. He needs/ed to gain weight, so I'd buy 2 bottles every month. It worked for a while..

The first three pics were taken sometime back..All four plants are summering outdoors now.

Snappy. I love your Acalypha. The flowers are so different, fuzzy.

Planto. I ordered from TT's once. A Calathea. It took time to arrive, but what a disappointment! They sent a large specimen, but every last leaf had brown edges, and worse, it was the wrong Calathea.
However, I believe in giving nurseries a second chance. TT's has a plant I want, but it's out of stock.

I got my Boweia at Shoal Creek. Toni

o

Good morning everyone, Toni the plant that you've identified as birds claw here we call that one devils backbone..it's amazing how one plant can have so many different names..your plants are gorgeous

o

Well, all of my potted plants are "Steve," so common names are fairly unreliable. But you can know for sure if you're talking about the same plant by using it's changed Latin name, which I think is a variegated Euphorbia tithymaloides, formerly Pedilanthes tithymaaloides, which has a whole passel of commons.

And I agree, that's a serious weird-o! I was about to succumb to its' strangeness after seeing it at the garden store a few times but after realizing it's got latex sap, no thanks! Thanks for adding your pics, Toni. I was hoping you would, knowing you have some seriously weird plants (in a good way, of course!)

o

Pachypodium brevicaule (dormant)
Photobucket

Ol' Horseteeth (which is what it's nicknamed in Afrikaans)

Photobucket

You choose what's wierd

Photobucket

Still unid NWC crest

Photobucket

And Colleen took my heart

Photobucket

Bristly boar of a cactus

Photobucket

A riding cactus

Photobucket

Cresting cactus (also a Saguaro i.e. Carnegia gigantea like the one above)

Photobucket

Lateral cephalium, yum yum on the fuzzy wuzzy (this occurs on a number of columnar cacti, mostly South American)

Photobucket

o

Plantmasterm..Yep, the plant is also known as devil's backbone, but I chose not to use the term..lol.

Purple, the older I get, the weirder the plants. :)

Jeff, is that you riding the Cactus?

You really have beautiful cactus and succulents.
I'm facinated w/your Pachypodium Brevicaule.

What's the heart shaped plant? Toni

o

That very cool "Horse's Teeth " succulent is Hawthornia truncata...I had to look it up, I was so crazy about it. :-)

o

Chris, love your pics, especially the ones with (I'm assuming) you in them. You seem to have a fun attitude about the plants. I don't know diddly about cactus and I don't like to bleed, so they all seem weird to me. I think the horseteeth is my fav of your group also. The cute little plant to the right of it is also intriguing! Thanks for adding more true bizarro plants!

o

Toni,

I wish it was, but no, it's another cactus fanboy, Cactus McFryerburger, riding the arm. The P. brevicaule pic is in habitat (Madagascar) - I never grew one. The heart-shaped leaf is from the NWC crest also pictured.

rhizo,

Sorry, I should have named it for you. In habitat, as you saw, the plants would nearly be level with the soil, allowing the windows of the leaves to work, but looking nothing like our cultivated plants.

purple,

I'm not Chris (who I know to be at least one fine gentleman here). Not me in them, no - my jackassery can be found elsewhere (on the left in this picture).Just propagatin' the faith, my sisters and brothers.

Photobucket

Cheers,

Jeff

o

Ooh, excuse me! I had assumptive vision and saw "cactusmanchris." Thanks for setting me straight, Jeff!

o

• Posted by nankeen z8b Portland OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 23:47

I've always favored the very strange Strongylodon macrobotrys, which is incidentally my second favorite plant name to say (second to Ornithogalum adseptentrionesvergentulum, of course). The strange claw like flowers coupled with the vivid teal combines interestingly. The picture isn't mine, BTW: google...

Also, Ceropegia has some very strange flowers... if only I had more growing space, and also several tropical conservatories. Google search below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceropegia

o

purple,

No worries.

Nan,

One of our own members here recently posted pics of her flowering Ceropegias - the adjective dainty and wild come to mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Karyn's Ceropegias

o

Jeff I just posted a couple more ceropegia varieties that recently bloomed, stapeliformis and juncea. Surprisingly, or maybe not, since I tend to grow some oddball plants, have about half of what has been mentioned in this thread. lol Even better is Bowiea garipensis which looks like the Bowiea volubilis on steroids. Both of my Bowieas are just now coming out of dormancy. Unfortunately my Strongylodon macrobotrys wasn't thriving in my greenhouse so I gave it to a friend in zone 10b after seeing it strugle for a few years. I know some folks in 10a that grow it and even there it needs some protection. The Mucuna bennetti (Red Jade vine) is also quite beautiful but equally temp sensitive.

o

One of my strangest that I'm growing Amorphophallus paeoniifolius.

o

Really weird, but how stinky?

Nice shot! Feelin' them photons, baby.

o

Did we run out of oddballs?

o

Cactusmcharris, noticeable but very weak. You need to get pretty close to notice.

o

This guy is sort of strange the way he spirals...Euphorbia tortilis.

Christopher

o

This is a pink Euphorbia I once had.

o

Hi,,

Nan, I've always wanted Strongylodon, until someone told me they're difficult keeping indoors, let along getting to bloom. Yours is fantastic. Love the flowers.

Tropicbreeze...that's one of the nicest Amorphophallus I've seen..nice colors.

Christopher..yours is one of the weirdest Euphorbias I've seen..love the swirls.

Larry..Very pretty red..mine gets color, but nowhere as nice as yours.

While bringing plants in yesterday, I snapped a few pics of what I consider a little weird-looking?.....

Senecio

Senecio

Pelargonium

Pelargonium

Something Nova

Nova

Monadenium and Adenia

Monadenum - Adenia

Compared so some of your plants, mine aren't strange-looking by a long shot, but I love them anyway. Toni

o

Hopeful, I had that Senecio once, lovely plant, tho at the time it was called Kleinia. It got moved into Senecio sometime! It ever flower?

o

Larry, some plants like Purple's Cissus resemble Klenia. I sometimes wonder if the sellers jot down the right names..lol

Here's a Klenia purchurchased in the 90's..at least the tag sais Klenia.

Klenia

Another species of Klenia
Klenia

See what I mean? lol. Toni

o

Yea but the plant I refer to was actually called Kleinia- its listed in my old house plant expert book as Kleinia articulata.
It must have got moved to the genus Senecio later.

o

Larry, I agree, numerous plant names have been and still are changing, however, if you type in Kleinia on Ebay or C&S nurseries, a list of plants come up.

Whether or not my plant is Senecio or Kleinia, I stil call it Kleinia, or common names such as Hot Dog or Cucumber plant..Toni

o

Hi....I am liking this thread more and more, great plants everyone...Toni I love your hot dog plant if you ever want to cut it back think of me for a cutting piece ...that is a weird plant......linda

o

Yea and the interesting thing is that it's related to daisies! Wait till it flowers! I didnt get that particular Kleinia to flower but one of its cousins did flower for me. A scarlet daisy followed by a fluffy seedhead! Wish Id kept some of those seeds!

o

One of the weirdest looking plants that I own is my Homalocladiun platycladum 'Tapeworm plant'. also sometimes called a Ribbon Plant. Here's a pic-

o

Xanthosoma albo-marginata....

o

Although fairly common, Platycerium superbum could be considered weird.

o

Emerald...remind me next spring or when temps are warm enough to ship. Okay?

FPT...Ribbon/Tape plants are weird-looking. Yours is very pretty.

Randy...I've heard and seen pics of Xanthosoma's, but never owned one. Do they grow from bulbs/corms?
Yours is very colorful, healthly foliage. I like.

Tropic..growing Platy's indoors doesn't do these plants justice.
They belong attached to a tree or bark..the size is amazing, perfect foliage. Beautiful! Toni

o

Toni, It grows from a tuber like other elephant Ears. Multiplies from off shoots.
Randy

o

beautiful Plants. cool thread thanks for posting. A lot of those plants I have never seen before.

o

This is one that I grow every year. I don't think it's so weird anymore but most people do that aren't used to it

Solanum quit onesie bed of nails plant

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed of nails plant

o

Sandy, your Bed of Nails IS very unusual. Is yours potted or planted in the garden?

Are thorns/nails sharp? Very rare indeed..

o

Great Pics everyone!

Jeff, the first Saguaro, "riding" is that in Tucson, looks like some mountains that are just 10 min. from me in the back drop. Great pictures and an amazing cactus!

JoJo

o

Most people grow them as an annual, because they're not all that good to be around in the house, or a crowded greenhouse. They are thorny all over even on the stems and bottom side of the leaves.

I was trying to post a picture I took myself but I couldn't get webshots to give me a photo link.

o

Jojo,

It's actually not - that's Organ Pipe we were in.

Sandy,

You can upload the photo directly from your computer to GW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here