Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena White Stripe question

Posted by newbienew (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 14:23

I'd like to buy one but they always look so grungy when I see them on sale. Brown spots, some tears, straggly. Will TLC save them or should I not buy them unless they appear in pristine condition? There appears to be no sign of bugs or infestation.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena White Stripe question

I don't believe TLC will cure damage to leaves, stems, etc. Am guessing you'd need to find pristine, perfect leaves, if you need it to look that perfect.

o

Miscommunication here. I don't need it to look pristine. I just don't want to buy something that dies x number of weeks from now. I know the damaged foliage won't recover, but what about the plant's future? I just want to know if the plant can thrive despite this.

o

Not knowing what the cause of the spots is, I couldn't possibly say.

Let's see what others think.

o

I'd never buy a plant with straggly, spotted, or torn leaves. Ever. Those leaves can never be brought back to an acceptable appearance. Yes, the new growth might be healthy, but frankly....something that has been treated so poorly at the garden center is not a good bargain.

I'm all for getting a healthy plant in the first place.

o

if at all possible,of course i would rather have the fine,pristine plant,but if you can't find one that is perfect and the only ones that you have seen just have slightly damaged foliage,why not get them?i think that if the roots are good and if the plant is overall intact...get it :) it can always grow new foliage later.

o

Thanks mattkoziol, that's the answer I needed (and had hoped for). The plant's not in terrible shape: as you say the foliage is only slightly damaged. Some light trimming will fix the problem. I suspect the plant was overwatered because the soil is extremely damp, though the plant is otherwise firm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here