Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlover96

whats my plant!!!!!

plantlover96
10 years ago

I just got this plant and I have no idea what is. Please help!

Comments (11)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

It looks like Ficus pumila variegata.
    It's very, very pretty. Big drinkers, Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Looks like Pothos (Epipremnum) to me, but I don't know Ficus pumila at all. Either way, it IS definitely pretty!

• User
    10 years ago

At first glance I was in 100% agreement with Hopeful! But look at the stem close up. Those aerial roots that are forming do look like those on Pothos.
    I have not seen this particular variegated one sold previously.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I know, she knows a lot more plants than I do. The puckering on the leaves is unexpected, but the aerial root? Maybe F. pumila does that too, IDK. If it's Pothos, is it 'Pearls and Jade?'

• User
    10 years ago

Purple, yes, I think it is 'Pearls and Jade'. Right though about the leaf texture and even shape appearing different than on standard Pothos. f.pumila is a vigorous climber as well, but aerial roots are different. I would go out and compare it if I could but have given up on pumila--could never keep up with the watering needs on that one!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pearls and Jade

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

I thought Pearls & Jade, too, but its color resembles F. Pumilia, or Creeping/Climbing Figs. F. pumilia clings on buildings, etc and vines can reach 60-80 feet. They also have aerial roots.

I've only seen young versions..small, heart or round-shaped leaves. Adults leaves are about 1".

Whichever, it's a very pretty plant.

• User
    10 years ago

Okay, here's how you will know for sure. If you miss a watering or two and it survives, it's 'Pearls and Jade', if it dies it was the variegated Ficus pumila. ;)

Seriously though, post a closer picture of the STEMS. If it's the Pothos, it'll want to dry slightly between watering--never for the pumila.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

LOL, Nj, that's the reason I don't have F. pumilia. They are water hogs..Very pretty, especially variegated, but drink up a storm.

• User
    10 years ago

Okay, this is just so nasty, in my opinion. Can't be good for the house either.

How would you like your home to be covered in this (F. pumila)?! And we complain about a little weeding!

But if you think about it, many common houseplants must be dreaded weeds in their native lands!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

That is a 'Pearls n' Jade' Pothos. I owned one for a day, before taking it back for something else I liked more. :P The puckering of the leaves is normal for this cultivar (to add to purple's comments).

Planto

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I have Ficus pumila (green one) on some trees, you could never let it get on a house like that here. An absolute pathway for termites. The leaves on the plant in the photo are cordate whereas F. pumila leaves are ovate. About watering, like a lot of ficus, irregular watering isn't a serious issue. I've a couple of trees covered in pumila which never get watered except by rain. That means about 5 or 6 months each year of totally dry and hot. And those pumila flower and fruit regularly.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths