Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
whats my plant!!!!!

Posted by plantlover96 California (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 14:48

I just got this plant and I have no idea what is. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whats my plant!!!!!

It looks like Ficus pumila variegata.
It's very, very pretty. Big drinkers, Toni

o

Looks like Pothos (Epipremnum) to me, but I don't know Ficus pumila at all. Either way, it IS definitely pretty!

o

At first glance I was in 100% agreement with Hopeful! But look at the stem close up. Those aerial roots that are forming do look like those on Pothos.
I have not seen this particular variegated one sold previously.

o

I know, she knows a lot more plants than I do. The puckering on the leaves is unexpected, but the aerial root? Maybe F. pumila does that too, IDK. If it's Pothos, is it 'Pearls and Jade?'

o

Purple, yes, I think it is 'Pearls and Jade'. Right though about the leaf texture and even shape appearing different than on standard Pothos. f.pumila is a vigorous climber as well, but aerial roots are different. I would go out and compare it if I could but have given up on pumila--could never keep up with the watering needs on that one!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pearls and Jade

o

I thought Pearls & Jade, too, but its color resembles F. Pumilia, or Creeping/Climbing Figs. F. pumilia clings on buildings, etc and vines can reach 60-80 feet. They also have aerial roots.

I've only seen young versions..small, heart or round-shaped leaves. Adults leaves are about 1".

Whichever, it's a very pretty plant.

o

Okay, here's how you will know for sure. If you miss a watering or two and it survives, it's 'Pearls and Jade', if it dies it was the variegated Ficus pumila. ;)

Seriously though, post a closer picture of the STEMS. If it's the Pothos, it'll want to dry slightly between watering--never for the pumila.

o

LOL, Nj, that's the reason I don't have F. pumilia. They are water hogs..Very pretty, especially variegated, but drink up a storm.

o

Okay, this is just so nasty, in my opinion. Can't be good for the house either.

How would you like your home to be covered in this (F. pumila)?! And we complain about a little weeding!

But if you think about it, many common houseplants must be dreaded weeds in their native lands!

o

That is a 'Pearls n' Jade' Pothos. I owned one for a day, before taking it back for something else I liked more. :P The puckering of the leaves is normal for this cultivar (to add to purple's comments).

Planto

o

I have Ficus pumila (green one) on some trees, you could never let it get on a house like that here. An absolute pathway for termites. The leaves on the plant in the photo are cordate whereas F. pumila leaves are ovate. About watering, like a lot of ficus, irregular watering isn't a serious issue. I've a couple of trees covered in pumila which never get watered except by rain. That means about 5 or 6 months each year of totally dry and hot. And those pumila flower and fruit regularly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here