Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Callisia fragans-will I ever get any pups?????

Posted by plantmasterm z7 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 14:52

Hi everyone, I've got a variegated callisia that I received from a very nice plant person from this forum..thank you Randy e..ive had my plant outside since spring and still haven't gotten a pup, any ideas..ive watered, fertilized and watered still no pups..I would post a pic, but unfortunately Im still having a problem w/that..I've got a solid green that I've babied for a year to get roots and size and finally got both, as a matter of fact the solid green is out growing the variegated one and is producing pups..any help is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Callisia fragans-will I ever get any pups?????

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 15:15

Like humans, plants need to pass through the various stages of development until they reach sexual maturity and are able to reproduce. Unlike humans, plants don't age chronologically. Their aging process is ontogenetic and more closely related to the number of times their cells divide than the passing of time.

Because the all green variation is genetically more vigorous, and with all else being equal, it should be expected to reach maturity before the variegated variant. There is really nothing you can do, other than provide the cultural conditions the plant prefers so it moves through the growth phases as fast as genetic limitations allow, cultural limitations not withstanding. Is there anything to make you think you could improve on the cultural conditions?

Al

o

Thank you for responding Al, currently no, it's hot and humid here so all of my plants have thrived with the exception of this one

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 16:56

OK - patience it is, then.

Best luck.

Al

o

Has your plant started sending out scouts for new locations to invade?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here