Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me with my begonias.Pic.Browing leaves.

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 14:58

I have no luck with these lately...I can't figure this one out..

All of a sudden, leaves on a few of my begonias will do this..

Can someone tell me what it could be..I do not put them in full sun..Morning or late afternoon sun is what I provide..I wait until after the mix has dried out before watering again.... I use a well aerated mix that dries out rapidly..

Any help would be appreciated..Thank you so much..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thank you very much.

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me with my begonias.Pic.Browing leaves.

I don't know, am just GUESSING -- looks too dry. I don't let my Begonias dry out completely. Maybe try a pebble tray, or a bit more organics in your mix so it'll hold a bit more moisture & not dry out so fast.

o

Hey, Mike!
I have a hanging basket full of Begonias that I trim and throw under my house all winter.
During the summer, I put them on my back deck, full eastern exposure, in direct sun.
I water them constantly or they immediately show a drought response.

Since I know your mix is good, try watering more often as Karen mentioned.
Let's see if it does the trick! I bet it will.
I'll take a pic of my Begonia tomorrow.

Josh

o

Guess I will try watering more often..Thank guys.

I know it can't be a humidity issue since this has been one of the most humid summers we ever had...

It is one of only a few plants that I water with my faucet, and I starting thinking that it could of been something in the water after it touches the leaves..

It almost looks sunburned..I did notice that when it starts, the bottom of the leaves get these light brownish translucent patches, which eventually eats it way into the leaf..Sort of like this..

Photobucket

Thank a lot

Mike

o
RE:p Please help me with my begonias.Pic.Browing leaves.

Actually, if you look at the top picture, see the brown spots underneath,
it almost looks like a mold or fungus..

Let us see if watering more frequently helps...;-)

o

Are you watering fresh from the faucet? W/out letting the water sit?

o

Yes...

I let them sit in the sink, or on the ground outside until all the water has stopped dripping...That plant is in a 4 inch clay pot which does stop dripping within seconds of after watering it..

Or I carry it outside, then use the hose to water and sit it on a table with grates on the bottom until it has stopped dripping, then bring it in..

That is why I am fully stumped...I have never let that plant get to the point of wilt, and never water while the soil is still damp in that tiny pot..It seems to need watering every couple of days...

Look at the third picture down..Is that water spots or some sort of salt left behind when the water dries up..?If so, then maybe these things are sensitive to my faucet water...?

Maybe besides keeping it on the moister side, I will start using rain water and see what happens...

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 13:58

It looks like botrytis to me - gray mold, a common issue with begonia. Is it occurring primarily on lower leaves or leaves that might have contacted the soil?

Al

o

Yes Al,
that is exactly the leaves being affected..The new ones are perfectly fine! In fact, very healthy new growth and flowers.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It is making the older leaves fall off eventually, or I break them off because they get so ugly.

Should I cut the ends to encourage growth on the stems near the base, nearest the pot again?
What in the world do I do to control this, and how do I avoid this issue in the future if so?

Thanks so much.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 19:19

Remove the affected leaves as soon as you notice them & get rid of them in a plastic bag. Don't wet the foliage when you water, and especially, don't splash soil onto the leaves. Make sure the plant is sited where it gets plenty of air moving around it. Think 'clean', so you don't spread the spores.

Yes, tip pruning will force back-budding from the axils of old leaf attachment sights, as long as you didn't injure them removing the leaves. Most fungicides are helpful as prophylactics and a few can be used remedially. I know you already have cold-pressed neem oil, which has good fungicidal properties - try that first. If that doesn't work, write me & I'll suggest something different.

Al

o

Al...:-)

I will do...If it continues, I will let you know..

Mucho Gracias!

Mike

o

If you know how to take cutting from the leaves do so immediatly, That way you don't need to go out and buy more. Norma

o

Great idea Norma..

Will do...Thank you very much for that..

Mike..:-)

o

Hey, Mike, Norma, Al!

Mike, sounds like you have a plan!
Just for fun, here's a pic of my back deck Begonia...

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh..:-):-)

That is one beauty! That is the reason why I bought a couple. I want mine to look like yours!

What kind of cultural needs do you provide it? Especially, what kind of exact light? What windows?

Josh, I am soooo jealous..I have that same exact one..Mine has 3 leaves and it is about 4 inches tall...lol

I can only hope it looks that great in 5 years or so...lol

Mike

o

Nearly direct sun, from dawn to dusk...
And lots of water, every other day or so.
In the winter, it dies back and the whole thing goes under the house.
It's not even growing in good soil....

Josh

o

What do you mean it is not even in soil? Is it in the gritty mix?

What do you mean under the house? Do you mean outdoors in the cold all winter?

Least bu not last...DIR....I justcan't grasp what your saying this time...lol
Do you hang it outside, or inside in full sun? I always thought begonias, especially this type liked bright diffused light, like behind a shear curtain, or blinds..

See how much I know on this one..lol

Please explain..I am having a brain spasm all day..Sorry my friend..:-)

Mike

o

Hey, Mike!
It hangs outside from the deck rail all day, all Summer long.
During the winter it goes under the house, in the cold.
It never comes indoors.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here