Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Please help me with my begonias.Pic.Browing leaves.

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

I have no luck with these lately...I can't figure this one out..

All of a sudden, leaves on a few of my begonias will do this..

Can someone tell me what it could be..I do not put them in full sun..Morning or late afternoon sun is what I provide..I wait until after the mix has dried out before watering again.... I use a well aerated mix that dries out rapidly..

Any help would be appreciated..Thank you so much..

{{gwi:98826}}

{{gwi:98827}}

{{gwi:98828}}

{{gwi:98829}}

Thank you very much.

Mike

Comments (17)

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I don't know, am just GUESSING -- looks too dry. I don't let my Begonias dry out completely. Maybe try a pebble tray, or a bit more organics in your mix so it'll hold a bit more moisture & not dry out so fast.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, Mike!
    I have a hanging basket full of Begonias that I trim and throw under my house all winter.
    During the summer, I put them on my back deck, full eastern exposure, in direct sun.
    I water them constantly or they immediately show a drought response.

Since I know your mix is good, try watering more often as Karen mentioned.
    Let's see if it does the trick! I bet it will.
    I'll take a pic of my Begonia tomorrow.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Guess I will try watering more often..Thank guys.

I know it can't be a humidity issue since this has been one of the most humid summers we ever had...

It is one of only a few plants that I water with my faucet, and I starting thinking that it could of been something in the water after it touches the leaves..

It almost looks sunburned..I did notice that when it starts, the bottom of the leaves get these light brownish translucent patches, which eventually eats it way into the leaf..Sort of like this..

{{gwi:98830}}

Thank a lot

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually, if you look at the top picture, see the brown spots underneath,
    it almost looks like a mold or fungus..

Let us see if watering more frequently helps...;-)

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Are you watering fresh from the faucet? W/out letting the water sit?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes...

I let them sit in the sink, or on the ground outside until all the water has stopped dripping...That plant is in a 4 inch clay pot which does stop dripping within seconds of after watering it..

Or I carry it outside, then use the hose to water and sit it on a table with grates on the bottom until it has stopped dripping, then bring it in..

That is why I am fully stumped...I have never let that plant get to the point of wilt, and never water while the soil is still damp in that tiny pot..It seems to need watering every couple of days...

Look at the third picture down..Is that water spots or some sort of salt left behind when the water dries up..?If so, then maybe these things are sensitive to my faucet water...?

Maybe besides keeping it on the moister side, I will start using rain water and see what happens...

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

It looks like botrytis to me - gray mold, a common issue with begonia. Is it occurring primarily on lower leaves or leaves that might have contacted the soil?

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Al,
    that is exactly the leaves being affected..The new ones are perfectly fine! In fact, very healthy new growth and flowers.
    {{gwi:98831}}

{{gwi:98832}}

{{gwi:98833}}

It is making the older leaves fall off eventually, or I break them off because they get so ugly.

Should I cut the ends to encourage growth on the stems near the base, nearest the pot again?
    What in the world do I do to control this, and how do I avoid this issue in the future if so?

Thanks so much.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Remove the affected leaves as soon as you notice them & get rid of them in a plastic bag. Don't wet the foliage when you water, and especially, don't splash soil onto the leaves. Make sure the plant is sited where it gets plenty of air moving around it. Think 'clean', so you don't spread the spores.

Yes, tip pruning will force back-budding from the axils of old leaf attachment sights, as long as you didn't injure them removing the leaves. Most fungicides are helpful as prophylactics and a few can be used remedially. I know you already have cold-pressed neem oil, which has good fungicidal properties - try that first. If that doesn't work, write me & I'll suggest something different.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Al...:-)

I will do...If it continues, I will let you know..

Mucho Gracias!

Mike

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

If you know how to take cutting from the leaves do so immediatly, That way you don't need to go out and buy more. Norma

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great idea Norma..

Will do...Thank you very much for that..

Mike..:-)

13 years ago

Hey, Mike, Norma, Al!

Mike, sounds like you have a plan!
    Just for fun, here's a pic of my back deck Begonia...

{{gwi:43105}}

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh..:-):-)

That is one beauty! That is the reason why I bought a couple. I want mine to look like yours!

What kind of cultural needs do you provide it? Especially, what kind of exact light? What windows?

Josh, I am soooo jealous..I have that same exact one..Mine has 3 leaves and it is about 4 inches tall...lol

I can only hope it looks that great in 5 years or so...lol

Mike

13 years ago

Nearly direct sun, from dawn to dusk...
    And lots of water, every other day or so.
    In the winter, it dies back and the whole thing goes under the house.
    It's not even growing in good soil....

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What do you mean it is not even in soil? Is it in the gritty mix?

What do you mean under the house? Do you mean outdoors in the cold all winter?

Least bu not last...DIR....I justcan't grasp what your saying this time...lol
    Do you hang it outside, or inside in full sun? I always thought begonias, especially this type liked bright diffused light, like behind a shear curtain, or blinds..

See how much I know on this one..lol

Please explain..I am having a brain spasm all day..Sorry my friend..:-)

Mike

13 years ago

Hey, Mike!
    It hangs outside from the deck rail all day, all Summer long.
    During the winter it goes under the house, in the cold.
    It never comes indoors.

Josh

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH