Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House Plant Newbie

Posted by silkvelvet UK South (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 15:02

I've been gardening for sixteen years now outdoors and have gotten to grips with oleander, olive, pinot noir grapes and figs.

Until recently, the only indoor plants that have survived for me have been a money tree (jade plant) and a ficus.

However, two weeks ago, my husband and I decided that instead of having voiles or nets in the bay window facing the street, we would like plants.

So far, we've bought a kentia palm from Homebase, three assorted dracaenas and an aloe vera from Lidl, plus a house leek and a spider plant from a boot fair today. I have my eye on a coconut palm from Lidl on special offer from 19 August.

I know that I mustn't overwater but what else ? (All the plants are quite small).

They are to go in the large bay of an East facing room 28ft long with a West facing smaller window at the other end.

Any advice much appreciated, also other plant suggestions,
thank you :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House Plant Newbie

Wow, for starters, GREAT idea..:-)

I can tell you that my Kentia palm, and dracaenas, all love my East and West windows...They love that light..

As for the Aloe, it will survive if not over watered and will grow leggy unless it gets much more sun..
The coconut palm, if that is a true palm from a coconut, will want all the sun you can give it...

Let me just say that if you can be successful with a ficus tree, then you have a green thumb and I think your plants will be very happy with you.

Fantastic, I can't wait to see what everyone else thinks and suggests....In fact, I myself would love to add more plants to my East and West facing windows..

Mike

o
RE: House Plant Newbie

I agree with Mike. They shouls do fine for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here